Stewards of the Sierra Ride 2013..

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by wrk2surf, Jun 9, 2013.

1. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    The group of citizens that help keep our Sierra National forest trails open and maintained will be holding its annual Membership drive BBQ and "self guided tour" July 13-14 and will have camping available at the Oakhurst Elks club, other camping can be found near bass lake or miami trails ohv area as well. Great food at the elks too !

Stewards of the Sierra 2013

Stewards of the Sierra National Forest 4th Annual Membership Drive, BBQ Fundraiser & Optional Dual Sport Adventure

Elks Lodge in Oakhurst California July 13/14, 2013

It’s that time of year again to come out and help show your support for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest (SOTSNF) which were voted as the 2011 Volunteer Trail Group of the Year, for the Sierra National Forest, Region 5

All of California, and the USDA/USFS Nationwide. This will be our 4 th annual fundraising event for the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest an organization dedicated to keeping Public Access to the Sierra National Forest open for all to use and enjoy.

Donation
    Your Tax deductable donation of $85.00 per person includes a Saturday Night BBQ, SOTSNF T-Shirt, and Membership to the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest a (Division of CTUC a 501-C3 not for profit).

Raffle
    There will be a raffle table full of swag and prizes after the BBQ on Saturday night and some well deserved awards given out to those who braved our Optional Dual Sport Adventure.

Dual Sport Adventure (Optional)
    On Saturday and Sunday there will be an Optional Self Guided Dual Sport Adventure through the Sierra National Forest north of Oakhurst and the Bass Lake area. Roll Charts and GPS tracks will be provided to guide you along the scenic routes (bring a camera) which will consist of great back roads and trails throughout the area. The route will be approximately 100 miles on Saturday and 80 miles on Sunday.

Optional hard way splits for the more experienced rider.

The adventures will start and end at
    the Elks Lodge in Oakhurst, CA
    (Hwy 41/Rd 222 North of Oakhurst).

On Saturday’s route, food and gas will be available for purchase at the lunch/gas stop at the Triangle store. Sunday’s route is a 100 mile loop and there will be gas/lunch stop at the famous Jones Store.

If you choose to participate in the Optional Dual Sport Adventure, your bike must be street legal, be able to go 75 miles on a tank of gas, and meet the USFS 96db sound level and spark arrestor requirements.

Click here for event sign up.http://www.sotsnf.org/pdf/2013_BBQ_Flyer.pdf
  2. JeebusX

JeebusX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a fantastic ride guys! Great mix of dirt roads and single track and beautiful views. Please sign up and help support a great group of people that keep those trails open.
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok, putting this on my calendar.

never ridden that area, would love to do it plus support a good cause.

easy side trip to yosemite too.

see you there charles.
  5. JeebusX

JeebusX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool! Some of the best trails I have ever ridden are up in those mountains. Great people and great places to stop and eat lunch. I am sure we will be going to Jones Store (look it up) for the best burgers and pie in the western hemisphere!
  6. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    There is a fire burning near the ride area in Mariposa but should be contained by this weekend.. still a lot of time for you guys to come out for a great ride!
  7. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Come on up and check out some great riding, miles of scenic road and trails to explore.....

Dinner at the Elks lodge? What's not to like?
  8. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Not sure about this date, a maybe. Possibly later in the month up there for me.
    Thanks for the link /tip Perry.
  9. Orange_Crash

Orange_Crash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to meet up with all of you in Oakhurst. After deciding to take the KTM 450 to Cali from NM, I read in the flyer that bikes must be below CA SPL limit. How loud is too loud?
  10. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    The stock muffler is ok, most "quiet type" aftermarket cans are ok. FS approved sparkie a must.
  11. Orange_Crash

Orange_Crash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a full TI aftermarket exhaust with Sparkie. When I get home, I will look at it more closely, The KLR also has aftermarket ex and is louder than the KTM!
    I think I'll just take up hiking! No wait, that will take work.
  12. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    No more lurk mode; sent in my reg. today. Let's hope the heat wave breaks and retreats into a low tide of cooler weather in a couple weeks...
  13. slowerthanu

slowerthanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im signed up, hey perry are you doing this ride?
  14. ShastaKLR

ShastaKLR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just realized this fundraiser/ride coinsides with my trip to Bass Lake. I'm stoked! Absolutely love the area....I ride a KLR and do okay for a big guy on a heavy bike. I will get my stuff in the mail Monday.

Matt
  15. browneye

Oddometer:
    I will be in the area Monday to Wed after MotoGP in Monterey weekend of 20-21, with a couple of Tiger XC's and a GS. Will do the mountain loop road, out to Thomas Edison Lake, Bass, Shaver. Let me know if there are must-see's up there. We also need a camp destination for two nights.

I would have liked to bring the dualsport up there but with a thousand road miles to do the big bike is going.
  16. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    look up the sierra byway... good for a long tarmac scenic ride
    http://www.sierravistascenicbyway.org/
  17. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Not yet, hoping to make this.
  18. browneye

Oddometer:
    Thanks! And yes, we'll make that loop, do some side trips, visit the lakes and camping areas. Perry said to check out Bald Mt. and Shuteye Peak lookouts. And some jeep and bike trails but on the big bikes we won't be able to get too crazy.

Any camping suggestions? We've got Monday and Tues nights - adventure bikes, loaded. Would be nice to dump the panniers at camp and explore. That might me the way to go for our middle day, head home the next.

Any gas up there? Probably at the lake resorts?

Next trip I'm bringing the big dirtbike. :D
  19. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    But the Tiger IS a big dirt bike.
  20. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    remember when coming up that we have a campfire ban in effect and if camping you should have a permit for stoves and gas lantern's