Wildman's Ride the World 2010 - Scandinavia & Baltic States

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Wildman, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't it great when a plan comes together? A couple of days work in Sweden with eight days to get there and then eight days to get to the Danish Sidecar Motocross Grand Prix. Twelve countries, nine of which will be virgin territory for me on two wheels, seven ferry crossings, one train ride, a few nights in hotels and the rest camping. The route has taken a few twists and turns in the planning but has ended up a blast through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Poland to get a few days in the Baltic States, two days at my client's beck and call in Stockholm, turn a wheel in Finland then across Sweden to do the Trollstigen and Gerainger in Norway, visit a colleague in Oslo before heading down to Copenhagen.

[​IMG]

I'll more than likely veer off the route when time allows. Anyone on the route, give me a shout.

My 800GS is overloaded due to the work stuff I have to take along.

[​IMG]

Now, I've got to say that this ride report has started with a rather ignominious dead battery in the camera and no charger but there's not much to see from the Autobahn and I'll rig something up before I leave Germany. I'm near Berlin tonight after a day and a half on the road, heading for Poland tomorrow.

I'm no MikeO but I hope I can bring you some decent pics and an interesting report when I get off the Autobahns.
  2. Grouik

Grouik Bike & Beer

Oddometer:
    Good start !!!:clap
    Keep going
  3. norfolkguy

norfolkguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Keen to follow your reports as its very close to a trip I'm planning for 2011. apart from the fact I'm going to take in Nordkapp.
  4. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd originally planned Nordkapp via the Arctic Highway but had to work in London Monday and Tuesday this week and there just wasn't enough time to get there and back.
  5. Harald

Harald Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and keep us updated!
  6. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Looking great! :thumb
  7. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. Bowes

Bowes Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer:
    Enjoy... and ride safe, really looking forward to the report and pics:lurk
  9. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Wildman! I'll be keeping a lookout for this one :thumb
  10. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Camera on charge so pics will start rolling in tomorrow subject to internet access. In Lodz tonight. Some narrative on the trip so far.

Stayed in the Etap at Dortmund West first night and somewhere south of Berlin last night.

First 60 miles in Poland was a culture shock. They're still completing the A2 motorway/autoroute/autobahn so I was diverted on to B roads. All the trucks passing through on roads not designed for them had sunk huge tracks into the tarmac which made for some interesting riding. Another area of interest was that nearly every lay-by had a prostitute waiting for punters. I say nearly but guess that those that didn't were "at work". Compared to other traffic, I seemed to get a very positive reaction from most of them as I rode past. Maybe fond memories of previous riders. :lol3

Eventually got on the new A2 and slogged it down to Lodz and eventually found the Ibis Hotel. Ahead of schedule and will be cutting off the autobahn tomorrow so hopefully some good riding and some nice pics for all y'all.
  11. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:
    From Turku to Vaasa... It's gonna be flat. Turku and Naantali are quite beautiful in summer time. The road 8 is quite boring... maybe you should stay off it.:lol3 If you are not in a hurry, get a GT map and try if you could use gravel roads instead. ( black thin lines on the map usually )
  12. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    I am in Denmark, close to either Esbjerg or Århus!
  13. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They say that "lightening doesn't strike twice". The hell is doesn't! Got a wasp in my helmet yesterday. Damned little thing got in between helmet and goggles and ended up in my left ear before I could pull over, stop, engage neutral, take gloves off and eventually take my helmet off. Didn't sting me though. This morning, exactly the same thing only this time it was a big, knarly wasp. Felt it hit, pulled over, stopped, engaged neutral and suddenly felt the burning sensation like someone's stubbing out a cigarette on my left temple. :bluduh

[​IMG]

Hurt like hell. Wearing the helmet for the rest of the day has kept the swelling down around the bite but my left eye is now half shut. I'm definitely going back to a TourX/DS as soon as I can afford one.
  14. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what can I tell you?

The north of Poland isn't exciting. I'm sure there's some great riding in Poland around Zakapane but the north is dull. Very dull. Have to say that I enjoyed the ride up from Lodz, aiming to stop just before the border in Suwalki. Lots of excellent roads punctuated by small villages where the road surface suddenly deteriorates. I came to the conclusion that the speed limit is determined by the quality of the road. One in particular was virtually impossible.

Only noteworthy sight was lots of storks milling about.

[​IMG]

Fuel and coffee stop had a friendly welcome.

[​IMG]

Two images of Poland that stick in the mind although I couldn't stop to snap them. The first was a large John Deere dealership with rows of shiny tractors lined up outside whilst, in the very next field, an old guy was labouring to fix a pre-Solidarnosc tractor. The other in similar vein was a large field of wheat with three huge combine harvesters making light work of it and 100 meters further along, an old couple, him reaping with a scythe and her turning with a rake. I guess Poland is a country in development and these things take time.

If you're coming this way, there's a couple of decent looking places to stop for the night just after Augustow but I kept on going, heading for Suwalki. Forget it. Everything around Suwalki is "TIR" truck-stop category. Eventually rode on into Lithuania and stumbled across an excellent new motel in Marijampolé.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100 litas (about €30) including a decent breakfast. Bar and cafe (and bowling alley and pool hall) next door.

I was immediately befriended on arrival by Ignas and his buddies. Ignas was half way into a bottle of vodka and invited me to help him finish it. :D Turns out that he makes his living by dubious means which I shouldn't divulge. A Political Science graduate who worked six years in Norway, he's decided the black market is the only way to earn a decent living in Lithuania.
  15. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ignas recommended two options for things to see in Lithuania, a Soviet era park built by a Lithuanian millionaire and the Curonian Spit near Klaipeda. One would have meant doubling back to the Belarus border so I did the Curonian Spit, all the way to the Russian border.

You need to take a short ferry ride.

[​IMG]

Then it's 50 kms of pretty straight road through pine forest.

[​IMG]

But you can stop and within a few metres find the Baltic Sea and views down to Kalliningrad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and they look after it pretty well.

[​IMG]

The forecast heavy showers hadn't materialised but of course, as soon as I took off my rain gear, a thunderstorm erupted leaving me drenched on the return ferry crossing. I've booked into a hotel in Klaipeda to dry off. Typical port town with strip joints everywhere; there's even one in the hotel! Think I'll give it a miss. Off to Riga tomorrow and hopefully get up towards Tallinn ready for the ferry crossing to Stockholm on Tuesday evening.
  16. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks kyns! We'll see whether I get a good kip on the ferry. I'll have been working for two days in Stockholm which drains me a bit - full energy stuff - so maybe a tootle up the coast on a "boring" road is all that is needed. I've only got one full day in Finland; wish it was more but it's the part of the original plan that got cut.
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi LasseNC. Danish Sidecar Motocross GP is in Slagelse on September 5th so will be travelling through to catch the ferry from Esbjerg on Monday, September 6th.
  18. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    I am in Esbjerg by then, with a view down to the ferry too :)
  19. Lexington

Lexington Sweet Potato

Oddometer:
    :lurk

:wave
  20. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave