'05 GS Question

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pox, Jan 8, 2012.

1. pox

pox no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer:
    After being bikeless the past 7yrs , Mama gave me the go ahead to get another one!!! I've found an '05 GS in orange and my question was is there anything specific to look for in that model year? my last bike was an '02 F650GS so I am somewhat familiar with the GS', any advise would be most genuinely appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
  2. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I've had my '05 GS for about 3 1/2 years now. I've read of a couple of issues. One is the rear disc brake flange developing cracks in the earlier '05 builds. This can be checked by removing the rear wheel and examining it.

Another thing is that many people don't like the servo brakes which can be quite expensive to repair when they fail. I like my servo brakes and am not concerned.

I think the main thing is to choose a bike that has been maintained because longevity in these bikes is achieved via adhering to the maintenance schedule. I wouldn't buy a BMW without all the maintenance records being present.

Enjoy, and post some pics if you get it.
  3. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I bought mine new. It's been a good bike with just a few problems. I've had to replace 2 sick coils and the ZFE. The BMW tankbag wore out after 75k miles so I replaced it too.
  4. Ducatista

Ducatista Smiffy's Brother

Oddometer:
    I have an 05 - bought Dec 04 - and have no problems. Ohlins and a few other bits. About 60k klms i.e. not much. Clutch isn't what it used to be, a bit rattly so I'll replace it in the next couple of months. Ceramic, standard? Dunno. Just wish it was as easy to do as a Ducati. Never mind. Will also check FD bearings and u-joints etc.

Otherwise all good.
  5. Ducatista

Oddometer:
    ... are actually pretty good but it takes a while to get used to them at very slow walking pace type speeds. Also massively grabby when backing down a hill for instance. But as long you know that, it's ok...
  6. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The center stand is different on an '05, supposedly harder to use but I don't have any problem 'getting it up'.
    Mine didn't come with ABS.
    Jim
  7. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I don't have any trouble with getting my '05 onto the center stand, but I've never tried on an earlier model.

Now when I first purchased my '05 he had been lowered via shocks by a couple of inches so the center stand was nearly impossible to use until I replaced the shocks to raise it back up to stock height.
  8. Ducatista

Oddometer:
    ...hmm, I did lunch one of my centrestand mounting bolts. I think it was from bottoming out a fair few times on some pretty fast (say 130 kph) but rocky dirt road washaways (near Lake Eyre in South Australia). No drama. BMW had the bits in stock, not expensive, replaced both mounting bolts and pivot pins at the same time - just took some effort to fight the centrestand spring to reassemble it all. :evil

May not have had this problem if I'd had an extended bashguard under the bike.

I note the later GS's have a different centrestand mount. I think it's to make it easier to get on the stand and for better balance it once it's up, but I've never had any trouble using mine.
  9. richardas

richardas Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many miles are on it? I had issue with the valves on the right side breaking @ 27k miles. Other '05 GS owners have had same experiences.
  10. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    2005 1200 GS; curently 65,000 miles

Mines been so good to me.....decided to Hack her where the servo brakes are Godsend:clap

Of course beefed up the shocks(Hyperpro); ceramic dis; 3:1 FD ratio, all for sidecaring:norton

[​IMG]
  11. sh2515

sh2515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    05 gs I own.

replaced clocks as water got in - previous owner did this.
    rusty under timing belt cover.
    clutch switch replaced
    front brake switch replaced.

other than that it's great.
  12. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Orange was not stock color in 05.
    Stock were red,yellow and blue.
    Have plastics been exchanged or repainted?

My early '05 had FD failure/leak at 30k miles,replaced under warranty.
    Other than routine maitainence,it's all been good!

JR356
  13. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    had mine 2 years now. Other than learning the bike no issues. the servo brakes take some getting used to. but other than that just normal wear and tear.
  14. pox

pox no longer no bike!!!

Oddometer:
  15. huntly2

huntly2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I checked your dealer link and had a laugh. For the Internet Price they ask you to call.:rofl
  16. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell from pics and the lighting,but it looks near "Rock Red"which was the stock red for that year.
    "Rock" is an off red with a bit of metallic,would never call it orange!
    My 05 is rock red.

Here are online pics of rock red and the other stock 05 yellow and blue colors.
    http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/schemepages/schemer1200gs.htm

JR356
  17. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. nanotech9

nanotech9 ** Slidewayz **

Oddometer:
    looks like stock red with bad lighting / flash / white balance in the picture.... maybe... although i've taken lots of pics of my red '05 and it never once looked like that - not even on iphone pictures...

That bike should be in the high 8's to low $9k range with the low miles...
  19. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I might be chiming in a little late.

Purchased my 2005 from the previous owner 3 years ago with 10k on the clock.
    Now has 56,000 miles on it. I love my bike, but...

Head light switch replaced
    Transmission output seal to drive shaft replaced
    Rear brake rotor warped replaced under warranty
    Front brake rotors warped while still under warranty
    Front rim cracked at the weld. Never off-roaded and not covered under warranty. $700 to Woody's
    Spline lube at 24,000 miles (down shifting was very balky) Sline was rusty. I live in a dry climate. Suspect it was dry at the factory. Not warranteed. Had all the seals between the engine and transmission replaced at that time.
    ABS Servo brake module replaced at 26k (nearly $2,800 installed, so glad the PO purchased an extended warranty!) :cry

For the last 30,000 miles it has been pretty much trouble free. :clap

There will be many who will tell you they have XX,XXX miles on there 05 and all they had to replace a light bulb or two. My opinion? I would hesitate to buy a first year BMW product. I just killed the resale of my bike, didn't I!
    I plan to ride this bike to 100k and then buy a used 2012 or 2014 depending on funds and how much of an improvment the waterheads are. I am hoping they are great and the market becomes flooded with cheap late model hex-heads.
  20. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had my '05 for almost a year. Just over 50,000 miles, of which I'm responsible for almost 10,000. Previous owner (who was 2nd owner) had to replace clutch seals-n-stuff. I'm currently having issues with either the throttle stepper motors or stick coils. Other than that, it's great! The wife loves it, too.

I plan to ride it into the ground then buy another used one of whatever is available and that I can afford and do it all over again.