Taking a chance on pre-ordering new gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by marine_mike, Aug 23, 2012.

1. marine_mike

marine_mike Banned

Oddometer:
    Recently I put a pre-order on a set of Firstgear Kathmandu WP Boots boots from revzilla. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-wp-boots I figured $153 wasn't a bad deal, and they should ship right around the time I'm stateside. My question for you guys is; How many of you have pre-ordered a new piece of gear and what was your experience?
  2. marine_mike

marine_mike Banned

Oddometer:
    I guess I must be the first person on earth to do such a thing.
  3. atgatt

atgatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope. I did it last winter with the First Gear Kilimanjaro Hi Viz jacket. I received the jacket from Revzilla and wore it... then I noticed some bleeding of the black fabric thru the outer shell. Very faint. Anyway... I found out that the hi viz jackets were recalled for this very issue. Not a big deal and there is more dirt than anything else on the jacket now... but if I had to do it again I would wait.
  4. Donster

Donster No trick too cheap

Oddometer:
    Revzilla is good people. No connection, just a satisfied customer.
  5. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    I like Revzilla, great customer service.

Saying that I couldn't do boots without trying them on so I only buy boots locally. Too many variances between brand and even style within a brand. I'm a Sidi 45 but don't care for all 45s fit...

Good thing about Revzilla, great return policy so if they don't work for you it won't be a problem.
  6. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Some few years ago when Scorpion announced the new EXO-1000 helmet, I pre-ordered one from a local dealer. Builds were delayed, yada yada, and I got my helmet about 4 months later. Tried it on in the store, and the size was off. Fortunately, the dealer let me return it in exchange for a correctly sized one.

I'd have sized it in advance but there were none available when I placed my order.
  7. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'd be hard pressed to really "take a chance" ordering anything from Revzilla. Their CS is first rate, and they will get you taken care of.
  8. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as Revzilla your in good hands....Haven't been a big fan of First Gear stuff particularly the Kathmandu series.

My top gear and equipment dealers are in no particular order

Revzilla
    Twisted Throttle
    Aerostitch
    Motorcycle Superstore
  9. marine_mike

marine_mike Banned

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt about Revzilla's CS, which is the ONLY reason that I pre-ordered from them. Not to say other sites aren't good, but you go with what you know. My real question was in regards to pre-ordering new gear. These are my first riding boots. I have my old issued leathers, but after reading so many stories about fractures ankles and the like, I decided to start off the right way....I hope.
  10. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, about the boots themselves then...

Well, I don't have any experience with FG boots, but I do with TCX, A*, and Gaerne. The Gaernes are the first boot that I've really been blown away with for quality and fit, although the did need some break in time. (As in, don't get them and head out for a 17 day, 7900 mile ride a week later. BTDT, and there is no tshirt at the end.)