Fork seal replacement

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Pomo, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    I used part # KIT45M seals (45mm Marzocchi). These should work for 2009-2012 bikes. The 2013+ bikes AFAIK are now using 43mm WP.

I don't know if I believe that. My forks feel no different than they did before, they just don't leak oil anymore. Actually one leg is leaking, but it's probably a result of riding so much in deep sand. :dunno I had no issues until I moved to the desert.

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :lol3 I didn't perceive any difference in quality handling the SFKs versus the stock seals. The SFKs just happened to be the cheaper option.
  2. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the write up!

I threw Hyperpro springs in while I was at it.

n00b Tips:

Pay attention how the ABS wire routes on the bottom of the LH fork so as not to destroy it if you bottom the forks.

I did as Indy said - lunch bag and left the cartridge in.

As for the seal tool, I was too anxious to go get one. I unscrewed the bulb end off my double D flashlight and cut one side so I could slip it over the fork tube. Worked perfect to install the lower bearing then seal. Low forces so no prob.

SKF Fitment chart: http://www.jwtimports.com.au/downloads/Catalogue-SKF-ONLY.pdf

SKF now has Heavy Duty seals. See the chart. KIT45MHD. That's what I ordered but the box didn't say specifically HD so who knows. My shocks weren't leaking but at 48K kms, why not. It started with the spring swap.

Canadian Source Eh?

I called around to the SKF suppliers in Canada and all I got was that the kit was proprietary and they wouldn't order it. I had to go to my Dealer.

F that. Get'm off Ebay from Fellow Canadian Rod. http://www.ebay.com/itm/26107049319...ries&cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3cc9039606&vxp=mtr Quick and friendly and only $40/set US (X2) but with free shipping and no tax so not bad.
  3. F800GSMAX

F800GSMAX n00b

Oddometer:
    :dunno
    Please, somebody clarify...

What is the correct seal size must be used? I have F800GS 2008. Is it 45x58x14 or 45x58x11?

I am considering to order SKF (not SFK) fork and dust seals. Now, I am confused... I need to know what is the correct dimension of the seals to specify in my order.
    Thanks, :)
  4. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:

Just order the SKF KIT 45M or 45MHD. I have 20K kms on my bike with this kit, no problems.
  5. F800GSMAX

F800GSMAX n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

What is the difference between 45M and 45MHD?
  6. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
    Penny wise pound foolish trying to find the cheapest seal. My forks have 95K, no leaks. Upgrading to Ohlins so I will replace with factory ONLY because I have everything apart and the season is for the most part over. If it were mid summer I will leave them in. I suspect they have lasted as long as they have because I keep the bike clean. That and with my fat ass they are always in one position, the bottom :-)
  7. Pomo

Pomo gonzo

Oddometer:
    After fighting with the SFK KIT 45Ms leaking periodically, I finally just went in and replaced them with KIT 45MHDs. I haven't really stress tested them in deep sand, as I've got dirt bikes for abusive riding these days. :D

Just handling them, I saw absolutely no difference. I don't even recall there being any marking on them that stated they were "heavy duty". The new 45MHDs have not leaked with around 3k of west Texas riding on the clock, whereas the regular 45Ms had developed a minor leak by the same point. Though again, I haven't abused them in the two foot sugar sand I was doing regularly back then.

Maybe, but I'm guessing even with 2 sets of SFKs I'm probably still under the cost of the BMW replacements. My stock seals were the ones leaking, prompting me to write this post in the first place. I think the bigger contributing factor is simply how hard and abusive the terrain you're riding is. If you ride mostly graded roads, or forests in the eastern US, chances are you will have seals last a very long time. Come to the southwest and see how long your luck holds up against silt and sunbaked sand. :-)

And to defend SFK a bit, KTM MX race bikes come stock with SFK seals. It's not like I'm buying this stuff from Mexican roadside vendors, these are high quality products too (that happen to not carry a Bavarian-engineered price tag).
  8. SpottheDogg

SpottheDogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the oil height??
  9. SpottheDogg

SpottheDogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My suspension guy recommended 5wt filled to 140mm, of course if you know suspension fluid 5wt without a brand recommendation isn't too much help. I had filled my fork with Torco 2.5wt at 100mm on the weekend but haven't ridden it yet.
  10. Bear Creek West

Bear Creek West Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My manual (non-BMW) states that the washer on the Allen bolt in the bottom of the fork leg is single use - it appears to have a small gasket. Have you guys reused this part with success? I want to finish this job and get riding! Any other suggestions? I don't feel like waiting for parts again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Spektrum84

Spektrum84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reused mine when I had my forks apart.

12. Bear Creek West

Bear Creek West Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply - I just finished bolting mine back together. Reused the washer so we'll see how it goes...

13. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked this kit up from Get Dirty Dirt Bikes in Moreno Valley CA. Has the SKF seals and InTech bushings for the fair price of $87.95. Has everything except for the fork oil to do a seal & bushing refresh for the 45mm zokes.
  14. vehoriding

vehoriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a weepy left fork on my 2013 f800gs @ 55,000 km. Looks like the proper SKF replacement seal kit for the WP 43mm fork is 'KITB-43W' but fitment charts and resellers do not confirm fitment for BMW bikes. Can anyone confirm that this seal kit will work with the 2013 F800GS? What's the difference between the SKF 'KITB' and 'KITG' other than colour?
  15. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    I've got a fork seal replacement to do on my '13 in the upcoming week - OEM went at 1,400 miles - I think it got some lava up there.

I can neither confirm nor deny the fitment of the KitB-43W, because I couldn't find any confirmation of aftermarket fitment on SKF. In fact, I could find very little information at all on the '13 and up forks with many seal kit manufacturers trying to sell 45 mm kits for the '13 and even 14 models if they had anything listed past 13 model year.

Konflict says we should get the KIT43WP-G http://www.konflictmotorsports.com/suspension-store/skf-fork-seal-kit but I also wasn't sure.

OEM for F800GS/GSA '13-16 is BMW P/N 31428534232 $75/fork.

Athena shows an equivalency between BMW P/N 31428534232, KTM P/N 43570623, and Athena/BikeMaster P40FORK455191. http://www.athenaparts.com/eng/products/view/19520/fork-oil-seal-mgr-rsa-43x52-9x9-11-4

I ended up purchasing the BikeMaster P40FORK455191 seals 43.00x52.90x11.40. According to Amazon they fit the 2013-2013 F800GS.

Even if the Bikemasters don't fit quite correctly (I think they will), they only cost $15 for both forks (not a huge loss if I have to throw them out) and I could put the old ones back on in a pinch once they are cleaned up.

Is it me or has it become really difficult to find the proper parts for the new gen of F800GS?
  16. Flashback

Flashback Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer:
    Bikemasters wouldn't seat. Had to put originals back in - cleaned em up real pretty like. The weepy one kept weeping a bit after the rebuild but the old sealmate multiple times did the trick in smoothing it out.
  17. vehoriding

vehoriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went the Bikemasters route as well but they haven't been delivered yet. In meantine I've was able to arrest the current leak with the old plastic film trick successfully but want to carry spares on upcoming European tour this summer. Should I be worried about pressure differential during the plane ride across the pond blowing out the seals?

Thanks for the feedback Flashback and Nickhob....were the dimensions of the Bikemasters incorrect? I'll measure them up when they arrive and post dimensions here; hopefully somebody can provide dimensions of the 2013 OEM seals for comparison.
  18. vehoriding

vehoriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the seals for 2013 800gs today. The Athena (manufacturer) P/N of P40FORK455191 appears to be Bikemaster part 429149. Dimensional info on the package is 43x52.9x9/11.4 consistent wit Athena info. Measurements taken with calipers (all in mm):

ID 41.05 (Springs/material Will likely expand to 43)
    OD 53.2 tapering to 52.8
    Height Overall 11.4
    Height to spring seal Ring: 9.1

Anyone with OEM dimensions?

By the way, B/M Kit is 2 seals only. Bikemaster catalogue does not list the dust wipers for the 2013 800gs although Athena lists them as P40FORK455192
  19. dirtbikeerdad

dirtbikeerdad Ride On, Easy Rider

Oddometer:
  20. dirtbikeerdad

dirtbikeerdad Ride On, Easy Rider

Oddometer:
    POMO, Excellent documentation and I myself have done many forks but, I will be keeping this as a guide. I am sure many riders will find this very useful. The one thing I would ask is if you know what the oil height is suppose to be and the proper way to measure it? measuring the oil to proper height is always something I seem to struggle finding good information on.Thanks Again!