Mini Come Along?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by EKhatch, Jul 30, 2012.

1. EKhatch

EKhatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let's say that hypothetically you end up off the side of some tight single track down the side of a mountain. Is there any winch/ratchet type device out there small enough to fit in a backpack to help retrieve a small dirt bike?

Not that anything like that has ever happened to me and I was lucky enough to be with a group of guys to help but just in case. lol
  2. sierraoffroad

sierraoffroad Long timer

Oddometer:
    you could buy a pulley system that deer hunters use to hang deer before butchering, and or a boat winch?
  3. mac10

mac10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look up whitewater canoe rescue gear. Some rope , a couple of carabiners, and some brains. Light, cheap effective and small. Commonly called a Z drag system. There are other variations. Used for retrieving pinned canoes weighing a couple of tons. A small bike should be easy for a z drag set up.
  4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    My old DRZ slid down off an embankment. Even though it is a lighter dual sport, I couldn't get the thing back up to the road. Luckily, a guy came by with an ATV winch. But I wondered the same thing. Of course, you need to be sure to bring along enough rope/cable to attach it to something.
  5. KawaYamaSaki Ho

KawaYamaSaki Ho Reality burns!

Oddometer:
    Not sure of a small come along, I use 100' of parachute cord and four lightweight pulley's that can attach to tree's or other high enough to lift vantage's. It is compact (small thermos size ) and doubles as my clothesline and tie downs for my hammock. The parachute cord can also be used as a tow strap if in a pinch. YMMV, KYSHO.
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    A couple of snatch blocks (pulleys that attach to trees) and you could pull it by hand with a rope
  8. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.adventureengineering.com/index.php/products/available-products/bringalong

With a load limit of 600lbs, you're at maximum rated load capacity with most of the ADV bikes here. Know that a winch line snapping can cause some serious injury, even one this small. The reach of a flying, broken line can be limited by throwing your riding jacket or similar over the taught cable.

I've never used the product but I do know winch safety from 4x4 experience.

[​IMG]
  9. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
  10. EKhatch

EKhatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, great info everyone. There is a Happy Trails location near me as well so I will go check that out first.

Thanks again. :thumb
  11. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a couple reminders here.

-Synthetic winch rope versus steel cable does not do the same thing when it breaks. It does not store any potential dangerous energy. You still have to be careful with it of course, if you attach the one end to a tree saver strap or a chain/whatever as these can stretch, snap and do the damage. Also be careful of rope burn and damaging the line with sharp edges.

-Remember, snatch blocks/pullies will reduce the load by 1/2 for each one used, so add one or two, make the pulling easier (although it will take a longer amount of time to do the same work, and you will need that much longer a line) and reduce strain on rope and winch.
    CA-Cincinnatus likes this.
  12. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Now you've given us your location......................................as there is only one Happy Trails. The town where the KLR is KING!

In fact, it's just down the road from me (227 miles, road being I-84).

:rofl
  13. EKhatch

EKhatch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Turns out the company that makes teh EZ Pull is also located in Boise. Damn there are a lot of things made here or near by. Promoto Billet/Fastway, Rekluse, etc...
  14. GerryL

GerryL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a set of these that seem to work pretty good. I've lifted an engine block with them. They definitely fit the small requirement.
    http://www.akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html
    I'd practice with them before you need them so you are comfortable setting the system up. Good mechanical advantage though!

15. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
  16. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    1st and formost, carry some rope to do this (real rope that carrys a rating that exceeds the requirement.. after that youre only adding tools to make it happen faster. i would suggest at least 100 foot of mule tape 2500 test.
  17. hogdoc

hogdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Less than 3 miles up Eagle road for me. :D:D:D Nice to run by and pick things up on the way home from work! Rekluse is even closer.

Lots of cool things invented/made in Idaho:clap:clap:clap
    bluemtnridr likes this.
  18. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry rope and carabiners. I have one section of rope that's about 2ft, and another that's ~50ft.

Use it mostly with snowmobiles, when those go down the side of a hill or into a tree well.... unless there's a way around, you're going to be digging and pulling on ropes/bunje's.

It's come in handy with the bike once or twice before too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few people that know what they're doing can get a stuck sled out pretty quick.
  19. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    it still stretches, it still stores energy, it still hurts when it whacks you. The experts disagree, but I was there. I still use synthetic line on my jeep though, because I believe it won't kill you like steel will.
  20. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mule tape for emergencies, I have lots , 0.05 a foot including shipping to lower US ie 100 feet, $10.00 shipped to you.
    Let me know with a PM

gale,pagosa springs.