What is your choice of Dual Sport bike and why?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by narcosis junky, Apr 11, 2011.

1. narcosis junky

narcosis junky NARCOSIS JUNKY

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm making a few changes to my original thread.

If money wasn't the issue, If color wasn't the issue,
    What Dual sport(I mean Adventure) bike would you want to own and why?

KLR 650, V-Strom DL650, Triumph 800, KTM 990, Yamaha Super TENERE,
    BMW 800, BMW GS1200, BMW GS1200 ADVENTURE?

Which one would you want?

Why?

What is the life expectation of your bike selection?

Maximum Miles out of the bike?

The goods and the bads.

I know it's a vast subject, but instead of surfing for the next 6 month to try and find and read all the threads on all the different bikes. I'm hoping to con-dance all of this under one thread to generalize your choices.:freaky

My definition of a dual sport is a bike that will carry all your gear to go for weeks if not months on most terain
    kinda like the movies "the long way round" and "the long way down.
    I may never do trips like that. I don't have the budget

I'm not talking about the "local bike".
    the bike that needs headlights so you can leagally make it from your house to the nearest off road or mud hole.

I'm talking about the ultimet motorcycle that will handle 300 miles on the pavement just as well as 300 miles on fire roads maybe even a few trails here and there. Oh and that's with camping gear, cloths, food, water. You get the idea.

Thank you,

yann
    Narcosis Junky
  2. Mknpwr

Mknpwr Have you seen my bike?

Oddometer:
    Husquvarna TE310, because I have a road bike but would like another to connect my favorite trails as well as blast around off road. Road manners are completely secondary in this decision and I even like the color!:ricky
  3. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The problem is that the bikes on your list are all much too heavy for true dualsport use. If you are talking about gravelroad use then all of them would be fine. Defining dualsport is the more important question. What we need is for the major manufacturers to build a true lightweight dualsport with an off-road capable suspension. Such a bike would allow us to use our bikes for what we really want. Which for my I would be is true on/off-road use. The F800GS is actually quite nice but heavy. A lighter bike patterned along those lines, would be what I would want. Actually, a KLR with a Versys engine would be more of what I would want. It would be more reliable and lighter without the BMW influences.

As far as how long would it last. A nice rebuild every few years gives you a nice Winter project. As money gets tighter, we will all be looking of ways to keep our current bikes running longer.

Just my opinion!

SamM
  4. D-man

D-man SALLGOOD

Oddometer:
    Have to agree with most everything SamM has said.

If you were to ask Bigdog http://www.bigdogadventures.com/ he has ridden more off road/dual-sport miles than almost anyone., and has ridden them on almost all the bike options there are. I think his most favorite is his current ride, a Yamaha WR250R.

IF your mostly OFF ROAD and only slabbing it to get to the trail. If your slabbing and dirt roading, the KTM950/990 would be the next best selection. unless price is an issue then. I would go with a Honda XR650L, which is pretty much indestructible. but you have to try them yourself really to get the full impact on what works for YOU.
  5. Jeff Watts

Jeff Watts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm new here, and just learning, but I've already learned that there is no "right answer" to your question. The only "credible" answer anyone could give is "That depends". Everyone has their own vision of what the perfect bike should be, and every vision is different. Several people here have decided that the perfect bike isn't available off the shelf, and have decided to build their own. Grab a fresh glass of tea, and get comfy, and start reading.
  6. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I own/ride a DRZ400S, a KLR650, and have a Super Tenere on order to cover most of the dual sport requirements.
  7. varaman

varaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could be a difficult question, as I don't really think there is particular bike that defines "dual purpose". The mere term itself is often up for debate and as such each of us will have a different idea of what bike fills this particular niche.

From my perspective, I consider "dual sport" to be able to enjoy a variety of road conditions. Since the mid eighties, the one bike I've always had in the stable has been a KLR. I'm on my fourth one, and will probably always have one. During the years I've had a number of the big traillies, from big BMWs to a Varadero. For me, the KLR will always be a personal definition of a dual sport. Not really good at either off or on road, but does both adequately. And I can repair it drunk with one arm tied around my back. For just kicking around, I prefer it to anything else. For more road orientated work, I prefer the comfort, power, and refinement of the Varadero. The big 'Dero goes down the road with an particular refinement and aplomb, but I wouldn't take it where technical offroading is required.

Again, others might feel differently. I don't think anyone is right or wrong, we just have varying interpretations. Thankfully, we also have more bikes to meet our wants and needs than we ever had before. In the end, it's all good whatever you ride.

Terry
  8. narcosis junky

narcosis junky NARCOSIS JUNKY

Oddometer:
    My definition of a dual sport is a bike that will carry all your gear to go for weeks if not months on most terain
    kinda like the movies "the long way round" and "the long way down.
    I may never do trips like that. I don't have the budget

I'm not talking about the "local bike".
    the bike that needs headlights so you can leagally make it from your house to the nearest off road or mud hole.

I'm talking about the ultimet motorcycle that will handle 300 miles on the pavement just as well as 300 miles on fire roads maybe even a few trails here and there. Oh and that's with camping gear, cloths, food, water. You get the idea.

Yann
  9. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    +1 I've owned 7 KLRs since 1991........ always have one in the garage and still enjoy riding such a simple, basic, fun bike. My KLRs have been to the Arctic Circle, Goose Bay, Labrador, and many other places in between. They are cheap and reliable.
  10. varaman

varaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I love the KLR. I've been all around North America with mine. Not particularly fast or even comfortable, but they have always gotten me back home (well, except for once when I hit a deer). They're capable off the beaten track, and anvil reliable. I kind of think of a KLR as faithful old pickup truck: Newer and more technologically advanced stuff is out there, but I know a KLR will always get me home.

Good luck with the new ST. Seems like a worthy addition to the stable.

Terry
  11. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't make it yet.
    :y0!
  12. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:

My choices.
  13. Husky Varmit

Husky Varmit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Dual sport bike would you want to own and why?

Currently it is the highly modified TE610 sitting in the trailer waiting for tomorrows trip.

KLR 650, V-Strom DL650, Triumph 800, KTM 990, Yamaha Super TENERE,
    BMW 800, BMW GS1200, BMW GS1200 ADVENTURE?

Gotta throw the WR250 in there too. Probably my next toy.

Which one would you want?

Why?

What is the life expectation of your bike selection?

'til I get bored with it. I have never kept any of the bikes I had to buy myself long enough to wear them out. Now trashing/crashing............

Maximum Miles out of the bike?

The goods and the bads.

Good:
    goes anywhere - point it at it and gas it, interstates, gravel roads, snotty hill, rock garden, high speed whoops, whatever

decent suspension

light (well, for it's class)

good power

Bad:
    ridiculously small gas tank

egotistical front end (always wants to wave at the spectators)

eats rear tires

that thing they call a seat (direct from De Sade Inc.)

that thing they call a headlight

Not bad but not right:
    needs more fork angle - handling is too 'quick' for a bike like this

geared too tall as stock

change clutch to hydraulic

weight a little too high

would probably be just as good with only 10" of travel

Synopsis:
    In over 50 years of 'doin it in the dirt' I can almost 100% guarantee that there ain't no perfect bike - and no matter how close we get, there is always another one right around the corner that we will convince ourselves will be 'just a little better'.

I know it's a vast subject, but instead of surfing for the next 6 month to try and find and read all the threads on all the different bikes. I'm hoping to con-dance all of this under one thread to generalize your choices.

Forget the 6 month brain exercise. Go out tomorrow and buy something you think will work for you. Ride it 'til you want to shoot it for whatever bad qualities it has then get the next one, repeat until they won't let you have bikes at the retirement home.:freaky

Thank you,

yann
    Narcosis Junky[/QUOTE]
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adveture bike: Things like BMW 1200GS, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, Triumph Tiger (old dtyle) Yamaha Super Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure... Of these I would go with the Moto Guzzi just to be different.

Middle wieght: Triumph Tiger 800 XC, BMW 800GS, BMW HP2, KTM 950 SE. This is a toss-up as I like them all and all have their faults. Likely the KTM 950SE or the HP2 due to the fun factor.

Dual Sport: DR 650 or a Husqvarna TE610/630 Own the DR want the Husqvarna.

:1drink
  15. JSEARS

JSEARS Armed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dream Garage:

ADV Touring bike: Super Tenere (12+)

Midweight ADV bike: Tenere (08+)

Dual Sport bike: WR250R

Dirt bike (desert/dunes): YZ250

MX/SX track bike: YZ125

Street Fighter: FZ8

Pit Bike: TTR50

Cruiser: HD 48

Flat track: HD XR750

Other/Vintage: BMW R90S, Late 60s Bonneville, XR1000, XR1200X

I need a big garage!
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aren't those things about the coolest little torque monster urban assault bikes ever dreamed up? :deal

(I like your dream garage)
  17. Oengus

Oengus n00b

Oddometer:
    DR 350 SE 2001
    Overall Length: 2[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT]235 mm (88.0 in)
    Overall Width: 885 mm (34.8 in)
    Overall Height: 1[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT]245 mm (49.0 in)
    Seat height: 920 mm (36.2 in)
    Wheelbase: 1[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT]440 mm (56.7 in)
    Ground Clearance: 290 mm (11.4 in)
    Dry Weight: 122 kg (268 lbs)
    Engine type: Air/oil-cooled 349 cc SOHC single-cylinder, 4 valves. 30 hp (22.1 kW)/ 7[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT]600 rpm, 29[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT]4 Nm/ 6[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT]200 rpm (Sweden). 6-speed transmission.
  18. zuti

zuti One Hip Wonder

Oddometer:
    You'll get as many opinions as there are bikes, and as many have said, it depends on your definition of dual-sport. I think many draw a fine line between dual sport and adventure. That being said, for me the perfect dual-sport is a KTM 450 EXC. There is a nice write up on the 450/530 in Dirt Rider tis month. Many will disagree based on maintenance, costs, and their definitions, but that's the bike that works for me. Good luck in your search. :freaky Zuti
  19. orangebear

orangebear Long timer

Oddometer:

for me it be a xr 650 or a r100gs or the ktm 990

as i have owned a 1993 klr 650 c model for 7months and it did not meet any of the duel sport requirements for me as it was too heavy to ride off road as it took two people to lift it up and the fuel tank size was a stupid 12litres so the fuel range was not good i would never want a free one.
  20. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my KLR. It may be slow off road but that's OK, I'm not very fast off road anyway. On the pavement, on a tight and twisty road, I have no trouble leaving most of the sport bikes behind. I have seen some fast riders go pretty fast on a KLR off road. It's really more about the rider than the bike.