The Trans-Lab is Overdone. We want to Ride the Rock.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuman, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm happy for you guys, but I'm a little bit skeptical. Isn't the Blue Puttees dry docked for the month of August?
  2. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    We're on the Atlantic Harlot, or some such.

3. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Blue Puttees is drydocked and the Atlantic Vision is doing the run in it's timeslot.
    A PITA to check with availability because it changes hourly.
  4. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I gave up on the online bit and finally got through to a human being. Their online booking system is fairly Byzantine. For example, you can make reservations for 3 people, but it allows for only one vehicle among them. For three bikes, you have to make three reservations. Now, I have this funky fantasy about riding with Anton as my bitch, but I don't think that the Dizzer would hold up to the strain, and the PC800 is a little much to wrestle around on the trails. :lol3

5. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    By any means necessary...

[​IMG]

As posted by another inmate. I think the water is deeper though...
  6. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I read that RR and it's INSANE! At least we don't need to worry about crockagators.

7. Canuman

Oddometer:
  8. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Tracks are finalized, with a few additions from a recent trip by BMWKLR. New MT43 DOT trials tire mounted on back of Dizzer. Seven days and counting down.
  9. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    Tracks please!? Tim by now most likely you played with Android more than me. What program is good as a back up on Android?
  10. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I'll post the tracks as soon as my internet is above a crawl.

As a backup, I'd like to recommend Craftycoder's Dualsportmaps app, but the learning curve is fairly steep on such short notice.

Trimble Navigator Pro is fairly easy to use, and can be had for a month with unlimited off-line maps for $2.99.

11. Canuman

Oddometer:
    By the way, the parking that Dresda mentioned sometime ago at 15-17 North Forrest in North Sydney is :

A&L Parking
    902-561-0011

Reservations are not required. They are open two hours before each ferry crossing. Rates are:

Single vehicle: $10 first day, $5.00 each additional day.

Vehicle with trailer: 15.00 first day, $6.50 each additional day.
  12. AtlasExp

AtlasExp beer me

Oddometer:
    Do we have to deal with this while on the rock?

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/E5gwHU0m_UA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/E5gwHU0m_UA?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    No rams.. lots of moose though but they're not that aggressive. Most will run away and you won't know they're around. If you see any baby moose, stay away as an angry mom will be close. There are some bears on the rock, same advice as the moose.
    Bring bug spray for the mosquitos.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, Anton's just got a twisted sense of humor. He's well aware of the wildlife.

I always worry more about moose than bear. The rut's coming up. I once had a moose take a less than platonic interest in a group of us. He wasn't successful, but the memory lingers.

15. applicant_255

applicant_255 Misshapen Shaved Ape

Oddometer:
    Ferry crossings booked for the 18th and 26th. Not going to Montreal this week, so I may even be able to slap on my new front tire before going.
  16. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of wildlife...

All that howlin' and yowlin' you guys heard up north yesterday wasn't a bear fight. It was me spooning on my new tires.

The rear needed 24g of balance weights that look so stupid I'd rather use a rock. There was no heavy spot dot to be found on the tire. Maybe it go washed off with lube but I suspect I've got it perfectly lined up with the valve. :huh

The front did have the spot and balanced with nothing other than a pre existing spoke weight.

Today I'm looking for spoke weights as 24g of rim weights with the requisite gorilla tape added for security detracts from my ghetto look.
  17. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    after 8 days on the Rock saw 1 moose in late morning feeding in bog on our way to ferry.....
    saw 1 caribou on road to Burgeo...
    we rode from usually 8:30 to about 6pm. Temps were usually in mid 80s so animals were not moving too much...
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Heh. You're obviously not running a rim lock. The new Velcro-king super-horny DOT Trials MT43 Rock-Muncher coupled with ultra-heavy duty "Soviet 5-Year Plan Condom" inner tube took seven ounces with one rim lock. That's 198.5 grams.

About three ounces on the front with a rim lock. If we get attacked by a ram, we can pull the lead off and throw it at him.

If I have to cross deep water, the thing's gonna sink like a stone.

19. Canuman

Oddometer:
    We've got a four-berth cabin booked both ways if you can stand the stench and the snoring.

I also have a spare standard-weight 17" tube for a KLR rear, if you think you may need one. Nothing fancy, but never used. Heavy-duty tubes are way too heavy to carry as spares. I'll throw it in the van if you need one.

20. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking you guys'll be pretty much humming on the trip back. That'll cause ANOTHER ferry shut down for sure...

I can see the headlines now:

Marine Atlantic shuts down Atlantic Vision for Haz-May scare. Officials blame US bikers for problem. ;lol3