Robby Gordon 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by larryboy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    HOME BUILT???? Are you smoking crack??? You can't be serious saying that Robby's shop is anything but a top notch professional race shop. The amount of research and development money put into Robby's Hummmmmbuggys by General Motors was HUGE. Dyno time dealing with restricted intakes and and as previously discussed, wind tunnel time alone puts him well above home built budgets.

Schlesser was much more of a home build than Robby ever was. JLS's first buggies were designed and built here in America and he re-badged them and later he simply copied previous designs.

BMW blew the whistle on Robby's illegal intake manifold, it was not the ASO that finally decided to go after him. And as much as Robby cried about how he had been using it without complaint in previous years, having a port of any kind between the restrictor and the engine has always been illegal. Robby knew that BMW would wait until he was considered to be a real threat before they protested, he simply thought he would be able to beat the protest.
  2. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Dude, that goes both ways. Its a big world out there. You are not the center of it.

On with the racing.
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

Didn't Nasser also bend the rear frame in the early stages, throwing off the alignment of the belt that kept burning up/falling off?

Nasser is one helluva a fast driver, but needs a factory team support to fix all his stuff, it seems.
  4. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    It was ASO who failed to DQ Peterhansel for running into a bike in the creek last year, clearly an offense. ASO also gave Despres time back for the mud gate obstacle, giving the Frenchman an advantage over the Spaniard.

In my book, if you are making your own vehicles... it's home built, no matter how big your home is or tools owned. Otherwise, it's just pissing in the wind in your own pissing contest.
  5. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Caption Contest .:deal:clap

"You throw one more belt , I will let you loose in Alabama wearing only a
    rainbow Speedo , do you understand ?"
  6. michalCCR

michalCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then you can call all Minis and BMWs Sven Quandt's home built cars. X-Raid is NOT a factory team like Mitsubishi or VW were.
  7. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's just :topes Strong Bad! Some of us have been following Dakar since it's origin.
    If you're going to bring up Schlesser then we really can start talking about cheating, although I did love his effort. Just as we do RG's effort. :wink:

Don't be a RG hater Bro...just harshes my mellow! :norton
  8. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Robby's dad "Baja Bob" drove it the rest of the rally spectating with out any problems. Seems as the Speed team didn't have a trailer to put it on and it had to be driven all the way to the finish.
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, I guess my humor is just too dry; I'm just joking around I guess the self deprecation about the USA being a colony didn't fully convey that. :freaky

Nice piece of trivia, thanks!
  10. yety61

yety61 Global Vagabond

Oddometer:

"Listen Nasser, you FF, you told me you could drive!!!!"
  11. pedrodepacas

pedrodepacas Adventurer

Oddometer:

Baja Bob crossing into Peru

Attached Files:

12. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:

Now THAT would be fun.
  13. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    personaly I think the real rivalry this race is between RG and Nasser...not RG and Stephane. Just saying :nod

Nasser is one fast driver :nod

Rumor in the biv last year was Nasser was kicked out of the teams camp a stage or two before he dnf'd :nod

is RG being a bit of a control freak...is this what prevents being on top of the podium?

:nod
  14. TL Mac

TL Mac TL Mac

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where the Dakar Rally will be aired not finding it anywhere. Thanks
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

F5 :pynd
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Riding with Bob chasing and spectating Robby would prolly be more fun than being in the race!
  17. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Highlights on the NBC Sports network in the USA I think.
  18. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    I agree, pretty much about epic, get to go pretty much anywhere you want and no pressure of beating the next guy.
  19. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not lost, just expressing an OPINION, a view of how something strikes me, and the whole Hummer branding thing struck me as a misfire.

You got a lot of emotion wrapped up in this...
  20. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did realize the example I cited hails from France, but IIRC RG's antagonists weren't all French. Nani Roma comes to mind, but it's been a while.