2014 Yamaha Triple: FZ-09 / MT-09

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Paulvt1, May 31, 2013.

1. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. JakeS

JakeS Yup

Oddometer:
    That is one strange commercial. It sure doesn't give much info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  3. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    I got nothing outta that. Got any real news on this new bike?
  4. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
    OK, from what I'm finding it's a new R1. They need to make it more narrow and are hoping to compete with more displacelment, maybe 1100cc's.

Doesn't interest me, but maybe 4-5 years from now they will make a nakie version.
  5. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    This is not the first rumor I've heard that Yamaha is going to make all their sport bikes triples -- I remember reading something about it Sport Rider (I think) a while back. Apparently the triple engine configuration suits the goals they have for the brand much better -- narrower, lighter bikes with characteristic torquey motors that can also scream when desired.

Personally, I like the idea -- I have NEVER been a fan of I4s in motorcycles, with the exception of the old air-cooled Hondas from the 70s and 80s. The current crossplane crank in the R1 is pretty neat though, but it's not doing to well in competition (not that I care, but Yamaha does).
  6. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking to a Yamaha rep last week, he reckons it'll be a naked middleweight -somewhere between 650 and 800 cc. Huge market here in 'yerp.

That'll be the first in a range of bikes.

Wouldn't mind a 3 cylinder FJR..
  7. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that WSBK championship in '09 and the 3 straight AMA superbike titles and the world endurance titles and MotoGP titles don't count I guess. :lol3

I think the new thing will be a crossplane IL3 with very spare, retro styling like the Bolt, be fast and affordable. All manufacturers need to get some new riders into the game. The higher end variants will drop later, R1, FZx, etc.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like they are shooting for the "I wear my pads on the outside of my clothing" demographic? I though Suzuki had that locked up with the GSXRs? :lol3

Please be a at least semi serious 350cc triple!!! :evil
  9. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't click the link...the rider is sitting bolt upright wearing urban warfare gear.
  10. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

I'm probably thinking of something else. I don't follow motorcycle racing. My bad
  11. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Oldbutslow

Oldbutslow Log Cabin Poet

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the Infiniti ads that were more about rocks than cars. ,BK
  13. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    are there no photos of the bike at all?
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    really hoping a 800cc triple adv bike to compete w/ the GS and XC will be in the mix at some point.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  16. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    interesting! though as was said that commercial has zero info. Found a page on new Yamaha triples at http://www.mcnews.com.au/2013_Bikes/Yamaha/Triple/Intro_Triple.htm that has some info.
    It would be great if they made a middleweight triple, especially if there was a standard and/or ADV version. Bought my first triple last year (a Tiger 955) and it has the best engine I've ever used by far, torque like a twin down low but winds up fast like a four at high revs and the howl at high revs is fantastic. Whatever it is really hope we get them in the US and would definitely consider buying one if they get it right (and Yamaha probably will)

[​IMG]
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The best application for their triple in a bike that would sell well in the US would be the R6 IMO. The R6 is always rated poorly for it's road manners thanks to know bottom end (and gnarly ergos) even though its rated highly for track use. The bike is due for a major update.

As a Triumph rider I look forward to them bringing any kind of triple to the market.
  18. elamofo

elamofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just hope they match the color on the front and rear wheels.
  19. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Didn't they already say mid-size road bike, with other apps to follow?

I think this is a Z800 competitor, a bike that regularly leads the sales in France and some other euro territories.

And I will already guess 94bhp, offering a 50% restrictor kit for under 21s in the new euro licencing.
  20. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the biggest complaints about the FZ-8 in the US was that we didn't get the Fazer 8 as an option - with a fairing.

If you like naked bikes, great. I've ridden nakeds most of my life. But for the last 30 years, I've lived in the land of wind and rain, and I'd be riding a Triumph Street Triple R right now if Triumph would only add a sport-touring fairing to the bike as an option. (I know, it doesn't fit the BRAND image of the Street/Speed Triples).

In my opinion, Yamaha needs to have both a naked and a faired option for these bikes to really capture the mid-sized USA market with a new Triple.