Fuel on the haul Road

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Delta61, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Delta61

Delta61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving SE Alabama for Prudhoe in 18 days. Searched but could not find an answer. If it has been posted please direct me to it. The question is could someone tell me where gas is on the haul road outta Fairbanks? We have an 1150gs with us and he will be the short legs as the other 3 of us are on GSA's.

Thanks in advance

Jim
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks--Yukon-Coldfoot----200mile stretch till dead horse.
  3. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coldfoot. Plan on 250-ish miles needed before fillup as Coldfoot is only ~halfway to Prudhoe.
  4. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    As previously stated, plan on leaving Coldfoot with 250 miles worth of gas. Actually distance is 240, but the potential for strong headwinds on the last 50 miles into Deadhorse can extend the required range.
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    The Yukon fuel stop is not reliable.

I've walked around inside that place (it's big) and there wasn't a soul to be found. Hung out by the tanks. Strolled through the joint. Looked around.

Nada.

All the rural places are going to be a little less reliable than the corner Texaco but that Yukon stop is not one I'd want to have to depend on. Fortunately you don't. Coldfoot, Deadhorse, and a fuel can are the ticket.

Also, the fuel in Deadhorse in my experience wasn't the top drawer stuff. My KTM didn't like it at all. The BM bikes had no issue with it though and filled up at the same time and from the same tap.
  6. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    As others above have stated:
    Fuel at Hilltop Service, in Fox and then it is 245 miles to Coldfoot.
    I measured 240 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse, but that includes Atigun pass, most sane riders will be gearing down for the climb, and some of the gravel curves.
    Strong headwinds can be expected after Atigun, and whatever mileage you are accustomed to on paved, civilized roads will NOT be attained.
    I ran hard, and fast on a KLR650... Carried, but did NOT need spare fuel.
    If I make the same trip again, I will STILL carry spare fuel.
    Recommend that you carry tire repair tools, and insect repellent. Thermal underwear and a sweater are a good idea as well.
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil

Oddometer:
    Funny thing about that "240 Miles to Next Services" sign as you leave Coldfoot - that doesn't say to "Next Fuel". My GPS measured exactly 250 miles from Colville, Inc. (Tesoro) to the pumps at Coldfoot. It would be almost exactly the same between NANA (Chevron) and Coldfoot.

The "Services" mentioned are probably the camp on the south side of Deadhorse where you can get food and lodging, and possibly mechanical assistance if needed.

Due to the unpredictable weather on the North Slope, if there is any chance of climatic nastiness on the coastal plain, it is a good idea to have at least 300 miles worth of fuel when leaving Coldfoot. Hitting the top of Ice Cut (150 miles from Coldfoot) and getting turned back by a raging blizzard, while carrying just 255 miles worth of fuel, could mean a long way to push a loaded bike.
  8. Delta61

Delta61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info guys. The 1150gs will probably be carrying a 4 gal rotopax, so we'll make him the tanker. We will be staying at a cabin in wiseman then dropping the panniers etc and make the run to deadhorse and back to wiseman only carrying critical equipment.

Hope to possibly run into some of ya'll while were there. We will be staying with a friend who lives in Fbks and will get back from DH to spend the 4th of July with him and his family.

Just look for the Alabama license plates and its probably us.

Our slogan for the trip is D2D,Dixie to Deadhorse:clap

Ride Safe

Jim
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    My GSPD carries 9.25 gallons and on the haul road always gets over 40 MPG. No problemo......
  10. Bones_GSXR

Bones_GSXR Will ride anything

Oddometer:
    What is this "gearing down" you speak of? :D
  11. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Single cylinder, the KLR needed some mechanical advantage pulling Atigun pass. I think I may have used third gear, and a bunch of rpm near the top.