75 r75/6 vs 2010 ural solo st

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by tigertom, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tigertom

tigertom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is a Bmw from 1975 very clean and well kept, a better machine than a new Ural solo? Handle on road and brakes ect? The Bmw has 35g Krauser bags and Luftmieser fairing very good condition.I love the looks of the Ural St solo. All opinions welcome as I need to decide soon. thaks, Tom
  2. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  3. Aspelund

Aspelund Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My opinion: Forget Ural.

Here in Estonia we have lot of old soviet Ural and Dnepr motorcycles, so there is a lot of knowledge around them. If I need to but it in one sentence: Buy only, if you want to repair the motorcycle, not to ride it.

Despite modern components (brakes, carbs) its still a 1940's design. Even the 1975 BMW is lightyears away with things like comfort and dependability.

We had a great following of the russian boxers here, in the 90's, everyone was making a chopper or touring bike out of them. Now they are almost forgotten and very few people are still hanging around with them. Everyone else has bought a modern bike and hangs around with those, because you want to drive, not to repair.

And an new Ural costs here more than a good airhead (which are sadly not popular here, we have only 18 registred airheads in whole Estonia).

But if you really want the Ural looks, then take it to the test-drive around your normal routes and then take the airhead on the same route (if possible of course). Then you can feel the differences. And in the end, everything is repairable.

With best wishes,
    Aspelund
    R80R
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have had the Ural so in my HO go w/ the BMW or keep looking.
    Not trying to piss off anyone, answering a question.
  5. Nikolya

Nikolya Rider

Oddometer:
    Used to have Dnepr Solo (very similar to Ural Solo) and was recently riding BMW r75/5. BMW is much better bike in every aspect. It's original don't buy poor knock-offs. Price for new Ural Solo is outrageous. For that price you can buy any Airhead in perfect condition.
  6. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've owned both. Believe me, you want the BMW. Better handling, better build quality, better parts support despite being much older (in the US at least), and a lot cheaper to buy.
  7. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quote from above:

"Despite modern components (brakes, carbs) its still a 1940's design. Even the 1975 BMW is lightyears away with things like comfort and dependability."

The Ural is a 1940's design still built today - copy of BMW from the 40's a 1975 BMW has 35 years of upgrades.

Think about it.:norton
  8. ReCycled

ReCycled Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking as a happy Ural owner... The classic BMW wins hands down just based on resale value.
  9. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the 70s I had a new Ural at the same time as a R75.

Definitely agree with what has been said.

However with a few mods it was much better. Replaced the front end with a Kawasaki fork & brake, remade the manifolds and fitted Mikunis, cut the sprung seat and mounted it lower (wife has short legs), and a few other similar things. Then it went well but was still limited by low gearing - riding above 60mph was illtreating it and things would fall off.

Where it did score was on rougher ground where it would sail across stuff that sent my R75 into tankslappers.

We loved it though and often regret selling it. :)