Waterproof breathable riding pants on a budget

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Superzoom, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering if you folks can help me in a search for riding pants...

I'm looking for something like Aerostich Darien/AD1/Utility pants, but for a much lower price. I had some Dariens and they were fairly good, and I currently have some Firstgear HT Overpants, and I find them functionally good, but they are brutally, brutally hot and steamy in any weather over room temperature. I think this is due to the full polyester lining and lack of vents. As I recall, my Dariens didn't have a lining, plus they could be zipped partly open.

So I'm looking for something waterproof and breathable and good for warmer weather (within reason, say up to 80 degrees). I'm thinking no liner is better for me. And for a lot less money than the Aerostich pants (well under $200). I would be using these pants mostly for long tours and weekend rides.

Any suggestions?
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    IMHO If you really are concerned about air flow, forget waterproof built in liners. Just get a decent riding pant that has the protection level you are comfortable with and then buy a pair of dedicated rain pants. I have Rev'It Sand gear but don't use their waterproof liners (seems dumb to have wet clothes on the outside), I carry separate rain gear to throw on over top when necessary. For rain pants I'm using Columbia with full zipper legs and for jacket I have a Showers Pass Elite 2.0, both pack down very small vent really well and have options to vent even better if rain isn't too severe.
  4. brakedw

brakedw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd consider using something like Olympia recon 3 mesh at about 110.00 and then throw a 20.00 frogg toggs over them in rain. I've tried on several waterproof wind proof pants and all were to hot for the south.

The olympia ranger 3 are waterproof full side zip with removable thermal liner at around 250.00 I liked them but the foam hip pads are not impressive
  5. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I think you're out of luck - breathable waterproof layers that don't suck around 80 degrees are a tall order. AD1s aren't any more breathable than an older pair of HT overpants were.

Vents help, but non-WP gear flows air through the shell, too, which had a pretty big effect on comfort. I don't know how warm it gets where you are, but you may have better luck with regular non-WP pants (I think the dainese new drake pants were pretty awesome, but never rode in them) and some froggtogg liners.

If it rains and it is 80 degrees you can be wet from the rain or wet from sweat, your choice :D
  6. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
  7. 1P8RIOT

1P8RIOT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size are you? Maybe I have something that'll fit you can have.
  8. frozenpoet

frozenpoet Valks rule, clowns drool

Oddometer:
    I wear Icon hooligan mesh overpants with rain pants that can fit over the overpants. It's nice on the hot muggy days to wear shorts under the pants for the extra air on the lower legs but still have the protection.
  9. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. TRAVR6

TRAVR6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear regular cheap riding textile pants and put Frogg Toggs on when it rains.
  11. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Cycle Gear has there own line of rider clothes called Sedici. They may have what you are looking for.
  12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can catch them on sale for <$200, the HT Air Overpants are great for ~40-90+ degrees. They're my go-to pants for April-Oct around here, with the standard HTs as my cold-weather, waterproof option.
  14. dirtybike

dirtybike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://roadgear.com/tierra-fuego-pantsoverpants-p-124.html

I've been using these for a few years. Everybody is right. When it is hot, they don't flow air through. What I do is open the leg zipper a bit from the top and from the bottom. That gives you some air. Not as good as mesh or Kevlar jeans, but it helps. Just don't fall with the zippers open!
    They were very waterproof for a while. I laundered them incorrectly and lost some of the waterproofing. Retreated with NikWax and they are good.
    I'd buy them again when they need replacement.

If you do go for these, order the waist one size larger than usual.
  15. sophijo

sophijo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out Tourmaster Caliber, and Klim Dakar. The Dakar gets rave reviews and can be had for $210. Tourmaster is $165 I think; both with removable liners and lots of venting.
  16. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I had those as well as Dariens. They are 99% identical.

They are made in the same factory as the made in India Dariens.

Same Cordura.

Differences between these and dariens include.

Rear pocket is on the right instead of the left.

Zipper stops at the waist, which at first I didn't like until I realized I never actually fully unzip my Dariens either.

Waterproof membrane is Riessa and not Gore Tex, not a big deal at all, still fully waterproof and breathable.

The interior is lined, which is very nice and it's a smooth lining, like a Roadcrafter.

Armour power is accessible from the outside, which is a BIG PLUS.

Only negative is the chincy armour it comes with, but that is easily replaceable.

Price is good.

The inseam sizes offered are odd, 30, 33 or 36", I had a 30, which fit more like a 32 standing, was a bit short sitting on a bike. and a 33 made the legs looks way too baggy. I wish they either offered custom inseam lengths or offered the pants in hemmable form.
  17. aterry1067

aterry1067 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most comfortable pair of overpants I have worn, I bought from leatherup.com. I don't think they have them anymore. They didn't originally come with a leg zipper, but I had one installed at a local sew-shop. They were definitely waterproof and definitely warm. I wish I still had them. That said, they had a waterproof liner built it (=HOT) and I tried to remove it......note to self, don't do that. After those I bought the tourmaster overpants, and I like them ok. They fit ok, and are relatively comfortable; I could wear them for a multi-day ride if I had to. But I eventually broke down and bought the Aerostich Dariens because I kept reading that these pants were the bees knees. Honestly, I fu*king hate them. They are waterproof for sure. But there are no vents, no usable pockets, the ankle area does not have a sensible means of sealing around the boot, and overall I find them uncomfortable. They ARE easy to get into and out of, but I just can't get comfortable in them. I have the knee and hip armor with them. With the hip armor installed, I can barely stand to ride with them....so that comes out. The knee armor I just can't seem to get right. I have placed it in every known position, and it's just not comfortable to me. It feels like I am wearing normal jeans with knee armor underneath. So, the knee armor stay out. So now I am left with a pair of waterproof overpants with no armor, that doesn't vent, but can help me with abrasion if I happen to go down with them on. I think I will try something else, and put these up on the flea market. The lesson I have learned here is, I will buy my next pair of pants from a dealer where I can try them on, wear my boots and jacket, and sit on a bike with them on before I buy them. I'm leaning toward Olympia at the moment. I have a pair of the transition mesh type that I took to Thailand a couple years ago, and I love the pants. They vent like wearing shorts, are tough, I can wear the armor with them, and I can unzip the legs off to be cargo shorts when I am going to be off the bike for a while. But, they are not waterproof and they are not overpants. I like the looks of the Ranger though. My favorite/best fitting pants of all are my Vansons, but they are not waterproof and are not overpants either (bought them used from ebay or the fm here, can't remember, but it was a good price for them). So, like you, I am still in search for the ultimate pants on a budget. If you find some, please let me know.
  18. Bracton

Bracton n00b

Oddometer:
    The Alpinestars Andes pants (and jacket) seem to me a very good choice for a reasonable price

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 mediante Tapatalk
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  19. teomannaskali

teomannaskali Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use these:
    https://www.riderdenim.com/en

They are waterproofs for at least 15-20 minutes. But if it is heavy rain obviously they get wet. For that i have some rain over pants.

I have the BORA model. (the summer model)
  20. ByStickel

ByStickel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why do so many of the manufacturers choose black for their gear?

When it's hot out and the sun is blazing down, I'm not wearing black.

I guess it looks sinister and all, but I'd also rather be in a more visible color, but that's not my main complaint.