Cited for going too slow or failure to move to the right?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D R, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Best way in the world to get a flat tire. All of the sharp stuff winds up there.
  2. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    10 mile morning commute. There is always some A-hole trying to make 75 or 80 and the prevailing traffic is moving 65 in a 55 in all three lanes..

50 miles an hour = 12
    55 miles an hour = 11 minutes
    60 miles an hour.. = 10 minutes..
    70 miles an hour .. = 8.5 minutes..
    75 miles an hour .. = 8 minutes.

The thing about us here (US) vs other countries is they do the math.... :rofl

If 3 or 4 minutes matter you need to get your a** out of bed 5 minutes earlier..

Dave
  3. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would absolutely love it if every cop in the country dropped speed enforcement for a month and absolutely hammered every left lane lurker they see. Hit these portable traffic hazards in the wallet enough times that they get the idea not to use the passing lane unless actively passing.

Left lane lurkers present a traffic hazard.
  4. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the left lane campers who are 5-10 under until you pass them on the right. They magically find the accelerator and won't get off your bumper as you're doing 10 over. WTF, folks? I just turn on the parking lights to simulate the brakes. :lol3
  5. kimber45

kimber45 I'm over it.

Oddometer:
    you forgot Michigan roads. terrible.
  6. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Southern Ontario this is a very common problem. My mother (a terrible driver that caused many accidents but had none) would camp in the left lane because some blue haired moron had told her it was "safer". I think this is a common belief.

I've found that around Toronto on three or more lane expressways that the right lane is the new passing lane.

I tend to drive a little faster than the speed limit and consequently pass often. Most times that I pass someone, they accelerate to either try to block me or to ride my ass. Very annoying.

I drive an unmarked emergency vehicle much of the time. Every now and then when they accelerate to block me as I pass I light 'em up. The look on their faces as they pound the brakes is priceless.
  7. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    As someone who spend about 100k driving a truck for a living, I definitely agree!!!
  8. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    But are they dirt :evil
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

Jim :brow
  10. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    you better read the constitution, driving/road use is not mentioned anywhere

10th amendment applies, it's up to each individual state, and afik, in EVERY state, driving is a privilege
  11. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read it yourself. The 9th Amendment applies here. The BoR was *never* intended to be taken as anything like a complete list of rights; it was only to delineate the most critical rights with regard to the political process and interactions between the people and the laws. Indeed, one of the main objections from those who opposed having the BoR was that they feared it would be taken as being the only rights the government had to respect; that's why the 9th and 10th Amendments were added.

Yes, in every state, they have claimed that driving is a privilege, since if they can get the people and the courts to buy into that bullshit, then they don't have to respect your rights or follow full due process with regard to such matters. Which is a load of crap (the load of crap we currently live under, but a load nonetheless).

The roads are public; we all pay for them and own them, and we the public thus all (rightfully) have the equal right to use them. Travel is a right, and as with all rights, the current common modes are what we have a right to. The 2nd Amendment doesn't apply only to muskets. The 1st Amendment doesn't only apply to hardcopy newpapers, or to faiths that existed in America at that time, etc.

PhilB
  12. ttpete

Oddometer:
    You're nit-picking.

Driver's licenses are typically shall-issue. As long as the applicant meets all the requirements and passes all of the tests, the state is obligated to issue them a license. Thereafter, continued possession of said license is contingent upon having a good driving record.
  13. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, you meant good road as in surface quality. I thought you meant good as in enjoyable to ride.

Carry on, your statement holds true.
  14. battlecattle

battlecattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My commute is 62miles so with your math... 3(4) minutes/10miles x 62miles is either 18.6(24.8) minutes. GTFO of my way!
  15. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My commute is 120 Miles (One-way) (all but 5 are Interstate)
    50 miles an hour = 2.4 Hours
    55 miles an hour = 2.18 Hours
    60 miles an hour.. = 2 Hours
    70 miles an hour .. = 1.71 Hours
    75 miles an hour .. = 1.6 Hours

So yeah GTFO of my way!!
  16. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't care what speed you're going...45 (the minimum in many places) or 105 (illegal in most places), if you're not passing somebody, you should move to the right lane on the highway. If you have to slow down to move right, fine. But don't pace somebody in the left lane just because you don't want to speed.

I also love the idiots that move left for emergency vehicles coming up behind them on the highway.:huh Who gave them a license?
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    It is all those conditions that turn it from a right to a priviliage. You have a right to say what you like. You do not have to take a test and pay a fee to the right of free speech!

18. ttpete

Oddometer:
    The Constitution's not the only source of rights. They can also be granted by legislation. These aren't absolute and can be subject to conditions, but the only way one can lose a license to drive is through legal action. It's a CONDITIONAL right.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    OK, I'll agree with Conditional Right!:deal

20. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in '04 I was on TC-2, I think in ON, when I saw an ambulance coming the other way. This stretch of road was 2-lane two-way, so I moved onto the shoulder to stop, only to discover that I was the only vehicle to even make the attempt. Felt weird.