what did you replace your KLR 650 with?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Cgirou, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    I have had 3 KLRs. Settled on a DRZ and 990 Adventure combo.
  2. jbc1200

jbc1200 Busy Living

Oddometer:
    I had a deal worked out on a 2012 KLR and went on a demo ride... then demo'd and bought a 2012 VStrom instead. :rofl
  3. Adanac rider

Adanac rider Washed up Jack of all trades . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Over the years I have always had a road legal Kawi 650 ( 6 total klx's and klr's) .I have an F 800 gs, dr-650 and an exc 525 now, I'm finished looking for the perfect combo! unless maybe a primo husky 610-630 presents it self.:wink:
  4. SignalGuy

SignalGuy Old Man On A XL650R

Oddometer:
    I Bought a used 2008 KLR650 during the summer of 2010 and rode it for two years. 90% street, 10% "fire road" type off road. I like KLRs, a lot! but, towards the end, due to age and health issues, I started having trouble holding it up with it"s high center of gravity.
    So, during 2012, I bought a KLX250S and quickly found out that I could handle that one just fine. So, I'm giving the KLR650 to a good friend (where I can continue to visit it), enjoying the KLX250S for now (yup, even on the highway) and considering the purchase of a BMW G650GS.
    I am told that the beemer has a much lower center of gravity, making it easier to handle and pick up, Hope that"s true! I like that it"s ABS equipped too.
    But, if I don't buy the beemer, A second KLX may be in the works, so I can mod it at my leisure while always having one ready to ride.:freaky
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    the BMW is a smooth and sophisticated ride, but it is heavier than the klr. it's not as top heavy though, and is easy to flat foot (I have both). the steering is a bit more abrupt but it doesn't take long to get used to. it works well on gravel roads (not quite as well as my 1150GS). but, it is more twitchy on real dirt than my klr... no question about that (I have upgrades on the kawi). as a street hauler & gravel road runner it's a really nice machine, doubt I would want to take it very far off road though. the Dakar version is better suited for that bit its quite a bit taller
  6. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went from an XR250L to the KLR and the to the R100GS. Three bikes later I'm moving to a G650GS.
  7. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. SignalGuy

SignalGuy Old Man On A XL650R

Oddometer:
    Thanks Beezer, I will be looking at the Sertao version with the high seat option. But Kawa need not worry, their KLX250S is a keeper for me!
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I replaced my KLR 650 with a KTM 640 in 04 .... For me the KLR was a good bike, but I found the KTM superior in every way... Better legs on the hwy and much better off road... With the 640 five yrs out of production nothing better has come along to meet my needs... The manufacturers have focused all their R&D on more street oriented, overweight, large displacement multis to badge as adventure bikes and put nothing into the mid size true Adventure platforms... For this reason I have decided to stick with the 640 so I purchased a second one and built up a parts inventory to last another 10 yrs... Maybe KTM will produce a mid size travel bike under the Husqvarna name, one can only hope..
  10. isdt BMW

isdt BMW willserv@aol.com

Oddometer:
    traded mine for a DR350 and built a R-75 BMW into an ISDT replica. The DR is just fine for plonken in the woods and the BM is my run around bike and I like the enduro look of it. For long distance, it is the R-100 with Krauser bags and a rack

The KLR was fun but after 8 years I wanted a change.
  11. Rotten Ronnie

Rotten Ronnie Crash

Oddometer:
    Kelly's Cross, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    I put 88,000 kms on my 2004 KLR 685 before I sold it and bought a 2009 DR650E. It was nimble and light compared to the KLR but really sucked on the superslab, and when my fiancé came along last year, riding two up was like watching the circus clowns come to town.

I traded the DR650 in for a 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650,and while it's great on a groomed gravel road, the rule of thumb is if you won't take a Honda civic down that road, the Versys won't much like it either.

That being said, it's a wicked touring bike, smoother by far than the KLR and the DR, but when I pass access roads to the seashore because they may have mud holes, my heart yearns for the KLR again, until I remember spending three weeks on it crossing the translab highway and Newfoundland, then the Versys with some decent tires makes a ton of sense, and a lot more comfort.

I'm starting to think that a BMWF800GS might be the way to go for adv riding and two up long distance touring.
  12. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    The F800GS runs circles around a VStrom on and especially off road. The only negative is the cost of entry. It really is the best combo of a KLR and DL.
  13. Cgirou

Cgirou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well yes the f800 is going to run circles around the KLR bu5 like you mentioned as its downside I can buy nearly 3 KLR's for the price of a GS and get into a leftover Vstrom for 8,500.

Royal Tiger i live in Charlotte, NC right now but am originally from Bethlehem, Pa. I saw you are from the Lehigh valley.
  14. Simple.

Simple. I'm Special

Oddometer:
    :D I get this shit eating grin every time I ride my 950. Haha

Jon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    No one replied KTM 650 Duke. That's what I've been thinking. Bad thought...?

The KLR allows unpaved but well-graded roads that the KTM wouldn't but the KTM is a LOT more street bike. OTOH, the KLR is a lot better two-up which is important to me. Bottom line is that paved roads are more important to me than dirt. Since I have less than $3k into the '09 KLR, maybe I should keep both. But that makes four motorcycles and insurance and registration fees are adding up as is the mental work of keeping them current and legal.

HELP!! I'm an addict.
  16. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Yes I am. :D

My KLR was a good bike for what it was. My XChallenge is mind blowingly better as a dual sport. Tops 100 with ease on the street and other then a KTM, it's a god off road. Surprisingly a KTM is what is most likely going to replace it. The XChallenge is a great bike and I LOVE IT, but it's just too much for this area. It's only about 330lbs wet, but I'd like something smaller and lighter, so I have settled on a KTM 350EXC.
  17. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    Only 4? You my friend have a long way to go before being truly lost. LOL
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I feel better. I'll tell the wife. :clap
  19. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I replaced my 88 KLR with a 91 R100GS, which was stolen in 97. Now, 3 bikes later I have a 14 G650GS.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  20. ntm1973

ntm1973 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I replaced my klr with a dr650. The dr was much better offroad for a guy my size. On a whim, I picked up a klx250 used and cheap which was worlds better offroad than the DR, then to a WR250r and finally to a KTM250.

With the exception of 2 up and interstate travel, there isn't anything the WR250R lacks compared to the KLR and it is much better offroad. I plan on keeping the wr for a long time.

I think certain people gravitate towards a particular type of riding. The Japanese dual sports are a nice starting point when bought used on the cheap because they let a new rider find out what kind of riding interest them. They are usually not enough bike for lots of road riding or to much bike for serious offroading but perfect for back roads and some nice double track.