Vermont DMV

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by V8, Mar 3, 2010.

1. V8

V8 .

Oddometer:
    I read a post a couple of weeks ago about getting a plate for an off road bike with a Light Kit was easiest to do in Vermont.
    Can someone LMK more about this.Searched but could not find the thread.
  2. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    yep. get an address in Vermont then I think you can register a vehicle here....lots of people with second homes register their cars here vs their home state which may have more annoying registration rules.
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Actually, you don't even need to be a Vermont resident to register a bike here. My dad lives in Virginia but has his bike registered here.

--mark
  4. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    ...reeeeaaaaly?
    actually, i heard they'll slap plates on a tractor in VT, no problem.
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My Weber has a VT plate.
  6. Rcrx21

Rcrx21 06 KTM 950SM, 04 WR250F

Oddometer:
    Care to enlighten us on how this is done?
    Thank you in advance.
  7. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just go to the VT DMV website. It is all spelled out clearly there.
  8. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    If you have an off road only title, you'll need to install all the lighting and have it inspected for road worthiness before DMV will register it. I registered 5 bikes last year for buddies out of state. Its easy, you just need to understand the process. PM me for info if you get stuck.

Since our Nuke plant is shutting down, we need all the revenue we can get and registering dirt bikes is a good start:lol3
  9. Rcrx21

Oddometer:
    I have a KDX so it has the lights and I installed the brake light switch but I am only applying for tags and I live in PA.
    I filled out form TA-VD-119 but I am not sure if I have to pay the purchase and use tax or not. If I do have to pay the 6% do I calculate it from my bill of sale price or NADA?
    Since the bike is under 300cc I dont need a title. Do I send them a copy of the bill of sale or do they want the original? I was leary of calling the DMV and asking stupid questions.
    I think I am close but I want to avoid going back and forth with them.
    Instructions are here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119-Registration_App_Instructions.pdf
    and form is here http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/pdf/DMV-VD119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf
  10. crankshaft

Oddometer:

The bike needs to come here for a VIN verification and then you can register it and you will need to pay the sales tax..... they always want the pound of flesh. A VT police officer or official DMV office can do the verification for you, so you'll need to bring it here I'm afraid..... like Maple syrup:rofl
  11. Rcrx21

Oddometer:
    Section 7 says that a visual inspection only needs to be done if it requires a title. Bikes under 300cc do not require a title.
    Is every one as confused as I am yet? :puke1
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Right, but if the bike is coming from out of state, it needs to be VIN verified.
    They want to be sure it wasn't stolen. I guess I'm confused why you're having such a hard time understanding this.

I call the local PD and they come to my shop and verify the VIN number and call it in to be sure its cool. Once the cop gets confirmation that the bike is not stolen, he signs the section on the Reg form that he's verified the VIN. He leaves and goes off to fight crime and I go to the DMV and register the bike.

If the bike is above 300CC and has an MSO or title stamped "off road use only" the bike needs to be inspected for road worthiness by an inspection station (good luck, most won't do it). When you have the inspection letter and the VIN verification, you can then go to DMV.

Sounds like you need to bring the bike here for a VIN verification and then head to DMV and register it... then go home.

Clear?
  13. Rcrx21

Oddometer:
    Got it.
  14. Seth S

Oddometer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdKa9bXVinE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdKa9bXVinE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  15. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Rcrx21, Hi!

What's being said in this thread is correct, mostly.

The normal method to register a vehicle in Vermont that was not registered here before is to have it VIN verified by a police officer in Vermont or the Vermont DMV. However, as you most likely have read on the VD119 Registration Application Instructions, Section 7, a motor vehicle official another state or individual authorized by that state to verify VIN numbers can do the VIN verification and sign the VIN Verification letter that Vermont will send you once you have sent in your registration.

I personally can vouch for the above. Vermont gives you 60 days to do the VIN verification after you have registered the bike. I happened to buy a motor vehicle out of state that was not going to be back in Vermont within the 60 days. I spoke with Vermont DMV when I was registering it. They told me to go to a DMV in any state or find a police officer in that state to do the Verification. I did just that. I also asked the verifier to put their name, phone number, agency, title, and address on the bottom of the letter, under their signature. I sent that original Verification Letter into Vermont DMV, within ten days they sent me the sticker for my license plate with the month and year of expiration. [When you first register a vehicle that has not been bought in Vermont, or VIN verified, the DMV will give you a license plate with an orange T (Temporary) sticker on it, which is good for 60 days.]

In the sense of ease to register, I agree, if the bike is in Vermont, it can be VIN verified and registered all in one day. To do this from out of state it takes longer, but it still gets done. Generally, it's believed this freedom to have the verifications done out of state is to help those who are residents of Vermont (and others), but are working out of state or are stationed out of state in the military for extended periods of time.

Regarding engine size under 300cc being required to be titled, as you mentioned, in the VD119 Registration Application Instructions, Section 7 it states that a vehicle needs a VIN verification if it is required to be titled, and is a motorcycle previously registered or titled out of state and is over 300cc.

Vermont does not issue titles for a motorcycle under 300cc motorcycle, as you've most likely read on VD119 Registration Application Instructions, page 2.

Your question about what to pay the taxes on, purchase price or NADA book is a crap shoot. Many vehicles that were bought for very little because they were in such beat up shape were taxed based on an NADA book value of much more. There's always the debate of finding a dealer who will 'appraise' the vehicle, hoping they won't charge you, or paying the dealer their fee of $25-$50 or whatever they feel like. Then there is the question of what NADA value the DMV will use. It's almost impossible to guess, if you're sending it all in by mail.

The best thing to do, if you just bought this bike, is to send in the completed registration application with a copy, not the original, of the bill of sale, filled out with the purchase price, and wait for the DMV to send you back the plate or a note to pay them more money. If by chance they feel that your bike has to be VIN verified they will send you the appropriate VIN Verification letter with the registration.

Again, it's pretty easy to do if the bike is up here. But it's not impossible to do if it's not.

Has this been helpful?

Enjoy,

Liz

PS: The instructions for filling out the registration application can be found here as a PDF file: VD119 Registration Application Instructions
  16. Seth S

Oddometer:
    I registered my 68 land rover 109 last fall and I had a bill of sale for $1000. Being as old as it was the DMV couldn't find a value on it. Then they got creative and pulled up the collectors catalog. It was tense for a few moments while I waited for them to charge me taxes based on a mint condition collectors item which could easily have been valued in the $15000 to $25000 range. Luckily someone else stepped in and said just to go with the $1000 bill of sale. Granted $1000 bill of sale may not have been the most accurate of documents....but still. In any event...the moral of this story is that if the DMV over values your ride/vehicle then you can go get it appraised and the DMV will reimburse you the difference if you can provide the proof.
  17. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Seth, Hi!

I totally agree with you. How many of us have stood there when the DMV person says, "Well I can't find it in the NADA book. Let me get the Hemmings Motor News.", knowing that the vehicle we're trying to register is no way near a collector item.

An appraisal is totally a good thing to have when the DMV value is higher. I've had those moments where their value was $1,000 or less, higher than the actual purchase price where I decided to pay the extra $60+/- in taxes rather than go running to get the appraisal done.

It's been my experience though, that going back to DMV after I've registered the vehicle, with an appraisal, trying to get the refund was not all that easy. If we can't come to acceptable terms when I'm registering it, I take the paperwork home. Once I get the appraisal I go back with all the paperwork, including the appraisal, and register it. Everyone's mileage and experiences may vary of course.

Enjoy,

Liz
  18. Rcrx21

Oddometer:
    So I am on the right track, I will send in what I have and if I get the VIN verification paperwork back I am sure it wont be a problem to get filled out.
    Thank you very much.
  19. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Rcrx21, Hi!

You're welcome. Do let us know how you make out, please.

Enjoy,

Liz
  20. Rcrx21

Oddometer:
    I found the VIN verification form online so I am going to have that done also and send in with everything else.