Planning trip to the Gulf Coast

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EtowahKLR, Mar 22, 2013.

1. EtowahKLR

EtowahKLR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 40 years of riding, I've never been to the Gulf Coast from the pan-handle of FL through Alabama, Mississippi, and on to The Big Easy. I want to do a relaxing trip and definitely avoid the super slab and large metropolitan areas. I do want to see some of Mobile, Biloxi, and of course New Orleans.

I'll be riding from Hendersonville, NC to my friend's place in Fort Payne, AL. The next day we plan to go in the car to the Indy Car races at Barber. We'll take off the following day on the bikes for the Gulf Coast.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for scenic routes, historic places, and interesting places to eat along the way. My biggest regret is that I'm allergic to oysters, but anything else is open for tasting.:wings
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    When are you doing this trip ?
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like pulling hens teeth, I google Barber website and finally
    found the Indy race date as 7 April weekend.
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    SB,
    You care more than me. I only asked because I live on the Ms. coast and figured I could help with suggestions.
  5. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may want to check out Dauphin Island and take the ferry from Fort Gaines on D.I. to Fort Morgan at Gulf shores. Fort Morgan road would be a nice ride before you get into the traffic on Highway 59.
  6. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    shoot down to Tallahassee, quickest route. out of Tallahasse, take 98 south to Applichacola and follow it to Pensacola. there are a few campgrounds and many hotels, good scenery and much of it on the water. Should be lots of stealth camping available but there are many satate parks too.
  7. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    98 is the best for most of that trip (very few options) - even through Panama City and Pensacola. Head out to Fort Pickens too.
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just west of Panama City Beach pick up on 30A. It will eventually loop back into 98 east of San Destin.