L.A.-Barstow to Vegas LAB2V 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by RAZR, Sep 10, 2012.

1. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    This ride is right up the alley of the ADV rider with a small-ish bike and I've always been surprised that more folks don't do it:
    • Easy ways are TOTALLY doable on a <650 for SoCal guy: acquainted with and not terrified of sand.
    • Hard/Easy ways a blast on a smaller bike
    • Distances are big so you cover a lot of ground, see and experience a lot of terrain, have to be on your game regarding stops, navigation (don't get lost), etc. In other words, you're always thinking = a lot of fun
    • The # of riders is largely a non-issue. Just leave early, don't get lost, move with a sense of purpose and urgency, and you'll stay in front of a lot of riders. Get lost, lollygag at a corner, stop for a 30' sammich break and you'll be passed by 50 riders. You deserve the dust you get :-)

I'm out this year, going to Atlanta for the holiday, but, again, this is really right up the alley of the riding I've seen that many of you like to do.

Rich
  2. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    i'd like to go but it's next to imposible to get a hallpass on that hoilday
  3. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:

Seriously?? i thought those roll charts that advance for you were mainly used on the Dakar type bikes and would be spendy... now i gotta go google search... lol

ohhh wait a minute... u mean a gps dontcha??!! :huh

that was funny... i'm sitting laughing out loud on this one that i fell fer it:muutt... lmao
  4. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I load the chart and in the end it still rolled up, GPS trax are spot on:clapNever had to use it but it's a back if the electronics fail:deal
  5. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    i use both, BUT i do use my GPS more during this ride.

the rollchart has great info like "washout ahead" and "soft right onto faded jeep road" (SR->FJR) where as sometime on the GPS you're zoomed in so far that you're not sure if it's the road to the right, or the road to the right. (you'll understand that one when you're out there).

they are both key in helping you navigate.
  6. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I talked to Ed Crowell yesterday. He will be there on his antique twin and will be about 83 years young !!!!!!

Don
  7. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Glad to see this thread up RAZR .. this is for sure the greatest 2 day ride ever. I grew up with this race in the 70's and rode the dual sport version last year on my GSA, some hard ways some easy ways, but went all the way. Rode to Palmdale the morning of start and rode home from Vegas after.

The best roll chart tip I got was to cut each days roll at the lunch stop (or in half). This makes it much easier to use as it doesn't bunch up or bind at beginning or end. Last year's GPS tracks were dead on though!

Can't wait to go again this year :clap
  8. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Razrs on vacation .... Leave a message after the tone, beep
  9. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:

Fiji AGAIN?

RIDE ON!
  10. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Yo Shawn, you would love this ride, it's not half as chaotic as you might think. Just 2 days of constant riding that can be as challenging as you want to make it.
  11. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 ... Only crowd I saw was at the starts in my rear view before she got folded up:D
  12. Excndez

Excndez Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're such a BADASS!
  13. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    That me... One fatass:freaky
  14. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    looking to buy a gps specially for this trip. i am looking at the garmin 76cx. anybody running that unit? have any tips on what type of maps to buy with it? i am a total gps newb but i think it would be helpful while wandering around the desert. i know it isnt neccesary for this ride but i will be riding before and after and dont want to wind up as vulture food.
  15. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check this out.
    http://dualsportwest.com/Gps/GpsOverview
  16. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Know doubt i would LOVE it, early start & pretty much NO stoping for me, im not a picture taker:D. BIGGEST issue, how the hell do you guys get away for this on THANKSGIVING weekend? Im guessing disfucntional familys:lol3 what a minute, im from one of those as well:rofl

RIDE ON!

17. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The point I was trying to make before I was called a fatass was.... Leave early , good pace no crowds .... Dilly dally and ... Well.... Crowds:freaky
  18. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    WE should be done by noon then:freaky
  19. adayinthedirt

adayinthedirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're worried about legality of who's at fault? You have my vote to stay home!
    Razr, since you're so good at pull up old pics from the ride... Got a pick of the beaver spoted on the trail last year? :evil
  20. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    Razr, since you're so good at pull up old pics from the ride... Got a pick of the beaver spoted on the trail last year? :evil[/QUOTE]

He's in Fiji for the month

RIDE ON!