Oak Okleshen bean can rebuild

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by mrbindc, Nov 17, 2012.

1. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had their bean can rebuilt by Oak? Apparently he services them, there was a decent write up in the last issue of Airmail about it.

According to AirMail:
    With Oak Okleshen as our technical editor, it is also the definitive source on airhead technical matters. Oak is both an engineer and a former BMW service shop manager who has been consulted by BMW on several sticky technical issues (which he unravelled.) There is no better source for uncompromised technical advice.

I'm looking for a cheaper option than a new one or the Alpha unit.
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
  3. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:
    If Oak does it, you can be sure that is done right.

We call that "Skookum" out here in the PNW.
  4. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Oak is definative? Well, I am glad he has come around to the other side of the fence on some issues. The question now I guess would be which side of that fence was definative?

Oak rebuilds them, I rebuild them, lots of people rebuild them from what I can tell.
  5. mrbindc

mrbindc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Supershaft

I believe my '81 R65 has a faulty Hall sensor. It seems to die in the hot summer while I'm in stop and go traffic and run fine in the cooler Fall/Spring. Also idles very high (2-2.5K rpm) once the engine is hot. My usual fix is to pull over and wait for it to cool down and then drive it home once the traffic has cleared. It has a newer ignition module and a brand new Dyna brown coil.

Do you have a ballpark figure for servicing bean cans? Some suggest just buying a new one or the Alpha unit rather than go for a "rebuild" on the OEM unit.
  6. weeman

weeman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We're really "Skookum" up here!:rofl
  7. Jon-Lars

Jon-Lars Jon-Lars

Oddometer:

You are revealing much about yourself, FH/SS.

Later,
  8. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a number of cheapish after market alternatives to the bean can, this has the advantage that you get replace all the 30 year old BMW components in one shot AND that you end up with the proper electronic ignition rather than the half arsed part mechanical/part electronic gnition that BMW bought in from Bosch because that was the design that Bosch was fitting to VW rabbits.

I would fit a Sachse alternator mounted ignition, lots of ignition curves ready for when you decide to dual plug your bike.