GoPro adhesive helmet mount....fear!?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Lomez, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Lomez

Lomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I put an adhesive backed mount on my helmet (for the GoPro).....it feels ROCK solid. But still, I am worried about it somehow coming loose from the helmet and destroying the camera.

Anyone else mount their GoPro on the helmet with the adhesive mount? Anything to really be concerned about?
  2. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    Never had a failure, but I did make a tether for mine. I have mounts on everything... Knee boards, jet ski, boat, skateboard, bikes, helmets, saddlebags. wow I could keep going, I need to sell some stuff.
  3. Wyodrill

Wyodrill Master Chief 1200

Oddometer:
    I did a mount on my helmet and have used it for about a year. Then I read that in the Dakar Rally it is forbidden to have anything like that on your helmet. Safety issues. If you are carrying this little metal box around next to your head upon impact it has a tendency to go thru the helmet and mess up your hair.

Also spoke with Arai guy and he is telling me the glue is not good for the helmet. Weakens the integrity of the shell. So the mount is gone.
    Stuck it on a part of the bike.
    Good Luck.
  4. keiji

keiji Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    i use mine in the woods.

dont duck low enough below a branch and it will rip your helmet off before the tape lets loose
  6. Lomez

Lomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point! I have tried to drill this into my own head. That thing is sticking up pretty high off the helmet.
  7. Lomez

Lomez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guess I'm just paranoid still from the time that I had my 180GB Ipod in my jacket pocket (unzipped)......and pulled it up to ~110mph......suddenly...no more sound. Whoops! Don't want to lose any more shit thanks to our friend air pressure!
  8. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just clean well, and forget about it. If you can't do that, then clean well, adhere, wait 24 hours (typical time for the 3M VHB to reach maximum strength,) and try to take it off.

Lets put it this way, I crashed a bike on the camera, the camera housing broke, at the hinge, and the mount was ground about halfway through, yet the sticky mount way still quite securely attached to the bike.

Now all that said, I much prefer the POV from the chesty mount, (just hate the training bra look.)
  9. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about the adhesive, it's the mount that broke on me. Snapped off, not sure why. Shoulda had a tether but didn't.
  10. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sticky part of the mount won't be what fails. I've had one on top of my cheapo HJC dirt helmet for years and it hasn't moved at all. I could probably hang the helmet from it with me attached to it without that tape giving way. Now, the plastic arms can break. I did have one snap on my crash bar mount but the camera was tethered. I use the lowest profile one when I put it on top of my helmet and it seems to be less prone to possibly breaking than the ones that rise up higher.
  11. MotoDaveL

MotoDaveL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a contour camera and I really didnt feel like buying mounts for my motorcycle helmet, kayak helmet, snowboard helmet + the kids helmets so I used 3M dual lock on each helmet and the back of the mount. It also functions as a break away if the camera were to be snagged by a branch or anything else. I do have the camera tethered
  12. Wingnut037

Wingnut037 Humbly Legit

Oddometer:
    Only had my mount fail once in the desert. Had been on for about two years but guess it got a bit warm after a few hours and loosened up. Didn't let go all at once and knocked against the side of my helmet. Otherwise would of lost it. Didn't bother me enough to not put a new mount in its place.
  13. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    once the mount is on just try and get it off... its a MFkr
  14. DocSpook

DocSpook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friends fell off his truck, and someone ran it over. He put it back on and works fine. GoPros are tough!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. otoko

otoko Tustom User Citle

Oddometer:
    I used the stock gopro adhesive mount on my front fairing. ~165mph on the straights, for probably a couple hundred laps. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. mctonyb

mctonyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine does special effects for movies where they use GoPro cameras for actio/stunts. He recommended that when I mount the cameras to my helmet I use a hair dyer or heat gun on low heat to get the best possible contact patch between the mount and the helmet. If the mount fits perfectly flush with your helmet you're good but if there's not 100% contact it'll be weaker. Use the low heat to help curve the mount so it makes perfect contact with your helmet and the thing will never come off. Done this on 3 of my helmets (AX-8, Variant and Numo) and all have many miles with zero issues.
  17. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was backcountry snowboarding on a nice powder day. I came flying through some trees on and came to a stop to wait for my buddy. When the snow cleared that I had thrown into the air I noticed something underneath. It was a gopro that, I'm assuming, came off of someones helmet. Had the person put a little note inside the case that had their name and number I might have been able to return it, but there was no way of figuring out who's it was.

With that being said, I've always used a chesty mount and think they are far superior pov, unless you have a big bike with a tall windscreen. I've mounted some stickies on my hard luggage and have gotten some great shots from behind. My buddy brought me out to moab so he could do a documentary and we had gopros everywhere. He brought some weird clamp thing that ended up being incredibly versatile, but had a hard time staying in place on some of the crazier trails.

If you're really concerned I suggest creating a lanyard like someone else pointed out. I'd also suggest putting a little note inside with your name and number.
  18. ChicagoMark

ChicagoMark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had the adhesive mount on my helmet for a year and a half. It's been in bitter cold, high heat, snow, sleet and heavy rain and has never budged. I also have a mount on my snowboard helmet and it too has never moved a millimeter.
  19. wadenelson

wadenelson Rider/Writer

Oddometer:
    If you're afraid the adhesive won't hold, it probably won't.

The real key to adhesives is to clean, even lightly sand the surface before application, clean with alcohol or ether, and THEN apply. Dirt, oil, waxes....all keep the adhesive from sticking to the actual fiberglass/whatever.

fyi Superglue works by an aerobic/anaerobic reaction. Cyanoacrylate MUST be exposed to air before the two pieces are pressed and held together with NO air. So press them together ONCE to distribute the glue as widely/thinly as possible, separate for 2 seconds to expose the glue to air, THEN press and hold the two pieces together for 30 seconds. Do it right and it works....super! One square inch of properly reacted superglue will hold a 250# guy up by his helmet.

Keep your opened AND unopened tubes of superglue in the freezer.
  20. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer: