Servo Brakes on Older GS's

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by goinssr, Aug 24, 2011.

1. goinssr

goinssr Crazy S.O.B.

Oddometer:
    I have an '06 GS1200 with the servo brakes and I have no issues with them at all. Actually I think that they are great brakes. I hear a lot of flapping and advising others to avoid the servo brake models and wonder why. What is it about the servo system that folks don't like other than the faint noise when the servos are activated.
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the servos...no problems/concerns here, as well.:clap
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Two servo bikes perfect. Unfortunately not everyone can say the same!

Jim :brow
  4. TomDac

TomDac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

Whizzy brakes rule!
  5. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy...

Oddometer:
    I think the problem was, or is, people didn't change the fluid every year and the rubber lines on the normal GS would deteriorate. Both of those issues would ruin the servo system and it's a $2400 part. I'll be changing my 8-year-old rubber lines to braided steel in the spring and doing a complete system flush and bleed. That will become my yearly ritual.

I test rode a buddy's `02 Adventure and thought his brakes were weak. I had to grab them hard to haul the bike down from speed. My brakes take just two fingers and a minimal amount of pressure to get maximum braking.
  6. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Same with me. 2005 1200GS; servos. Just love em'. No issues, Just changed the entire brake fluid. Am deaf so cannot hear the whizzes you proclaim they make when pressed:ear. Great brakes especialy when hauling a sidecar.
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved/hated the brakes on my 2004. I loved the power. Hated the noise and low speed grabbiness. Never had any real issues with them though.
  8. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    Bought mine new, now has 47K miles. I have just finished my second ABS bleed, to fix a warning light. Other than that, no issues at all....I'm gonna try to bleed them a little more often in the future. Just bought another 05 for my wife this summer, also has servo brakes and ABS. It has about 45K miles, no issues on it so far, or in any records the previous owner kept.

I think they are great bikes, and good used ones can be had fairly reasonably. YMMV.

roy
  9. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    One has to really get familiarized with servo brakes as they are too grabby for someone not used to them. Otherwise, I see no issue with them other than the brakes are completely lost when the ABS fails. Plus maybe bleeding the whole system is a PITA. When the ABS of my 07 failed, I still had the same braking power sans ABS. I used the bike (with more care, of course) until I got a replacement ABS unit.
  10. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    They are so great that BMW no longer offer servo brakes. :D
  11. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the several models I test rode with servo assist brakes in 2005 or so (R1200GS, K1200S, R1200ST), the brakes felt like an on/off switch with no ability for the rider to modulate (the grabbiness mentioned numerous times above). Probably one of things you get used to, but I didn't like them right off the bat for that reason alone. It also seemed to be an overly complex addition (extra cost/weight/maintenance) that I didn't think was required to begin with. I was very glad that by the time I bought a newer bike BMW had decided to do away with servo assist.
  12. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    There was a recall on the early bikes that gave the brakes a somewhat more progressive feel.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :nod I Like the way they can get full power with one finger. As for control, it is like any other bike, it just takes some practice. When I ride non-Servo brake bikes it takes a bit of time to adjust to a lack of power.

14. tordog

tordog tordog

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 GS Love the brakes. Maybe too powerful for some?
  15. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like the time I shut off the bike before coasting into the garage (to keep the noise down) I REALLY had to adjust to the lack of power then. Needless to say I don't do that any more. I will just keep doing the recommended service on them and hope they don't crap out. That gets a little $$$$.
  16. nanotech9

nanotech9 ** Slidewayz **

Oddometer:
    with the key on, but motor stopped, my '05 12GS still has servo assist. Just turn the bike off with the kill switch not the key.

BTW, servo brakes on my 12GS make it almost impossible to modulate the rear w/o locking it up on dirt (at least with the tire/surface combo i've been riding), while wearing MX boots. This poses a real problem doing long steep downhill offcamber rutted out loose rock descents. lock it up once, the ass end steps out, drops into the low-side wash, and the whole bike will follow. Not good.
  17. desmo

desmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The main proplem is REPAIR COST. My friend has a last edition 2006 GSA with 8,500 miles and a bad servo pump. Estimated repair cost is $3,300.00. :huh
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Or, for a couple hundred, you remove the servo system and have no ABS.

By the way, those of you complaining about the servo-ABS repair costs and failability, the non-servo system breaks just as often, and costs just as much to replace (though they are useable as is without mods when broken).

19. eric2

eric2 ®egister this:

Oddometer:
    I didn't see the point when they first came out with servo brakes, but it didn't take long for me to really like them. I'm due for a second flush\bleed on my 05 r12gs. A couple hiccups that needed a reset is all. I'm somewhat convinced they saved me from serious bodily injury. Bottom line is, strong, fade free braking. Try a non-servo bike on your favorite twisty road and see how fast those old brakes fade.

I think bmw cancelled them due to complexity, and likely that they could not overcome physics with regard to brake fluid temperatures. I did need to replace the servo unit on my k1200s after several track days, covered under warranty.
  20. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like my '04 1150 better without the servos.