R1200GS design solution - thoughts...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ARiderX, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edit: I meant to write "design evolution" ... got autocorrected somehow...

Just writing down some thoughts on a rainy saturday afternoon....

So what do we think of the design evolution of those bikes? Now that the latest GS has been out for a few years already, and has taken its design language to edgy and angular, while still somehow retaining the GS look. But I think that's got everything to do with the beak and the boxer. As long as they keep those, any sort of body sculpturing will still result in a recognisable GS (with clear pedigree)

R1150GS
    [​IMG]

R1200GS 2006
    [​IMG]

R1200GS 2011
    [​IMG]

R1200GS 2015
    [​IMG]

To be clear, I really dig the latest GS. I think it is good looking. They brought the concept into a modern day design, sharp and edgy (without going "transformers"...) It is not a bike I would necessarily buy (expensive, expensive maintenance, not the most reliable...). But I'm sure it is one hell of a bike for those who can stomach the dealers and the prices.

It has lost a bit of it's ruggedness, and visual cues that truly make it an "adventure" bike. (whatever that still means these days). Those two scoops (while I get they cover the WC and intakes) seem so fragile for and ADV style bike. Visually speaking I mean. And to protect them you need a scaffolding style crash bar all around the plastic bits. (if they were cheap to replace I would not care, but being a bmw, I'm sure they're not)

The question I guess I'm asking, would anyone still buy one of the older ones? Is the hex head GS now considered ugly and dated looking, set against the newer ones? Do you care? To be honest, the 1150 doesn't do it for me, and definitely looks dated. Do you think the 2010 ones will look dated really soon?

I used to think the side panels of the hex head GS's were not very good looking (the aluminium accent on the front). Kinda bulky and square and too much going on, but it's growing on me now...

Another observation: a lot of bmw buyers are really buy into the fashion thing. (not all of them of course, I'm not generalising here). But many times, while being at the dealers, I saw middle aged guys trading in perfectly good air-cooled GS's with barely a few tens of thousands of km's on them, for the WC models. For no other reason than to be "up to date". Which is totally insane in my views, but to each their own.

That's something bmw has going for them, faithful consumers with deep pockets. And I have no doubt that the GS's are really transformed and in a different league every time they get updated.
  2. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    My answers are yes and yes. I did buy one of the older ones and purchased a used '12 GS when it was 1.5 years old. Will it look dated? Sure it will, but I don't care. But, I also drive a 13 year old Toyota Tundra and am damn proud of my '73 BMW 2002. My other bikes are 2009 BMW f800 ST and a KTM 450 EXC. They are all dated, show some signs of wear and tear, and have all been updated by newer versions. Some folks are early adopters and have the means and desire to buy the newest versions of bikes. More power to 'em. There are lots of great used bikes out there because of that very thing. Personally, I'll let somebody else pay the new bike "tax" of driving one away from the showroom. I friend of mine bought a '14 GS and promised his wife that it was the last bike he would ever need. A year later and 2000 mile later, and he was hanging around the showroom ready to trade.
  3. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    The whole GS look is a work of art. The WC GS is just in another league. Its only dated to the guys with the new WC.
  4. Augdog1964

Augdog1964 2015 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I just bought my first BMW, '15 R1200GS Adv, love the bike. Got off a long progression of Harley's... now 50 been riding since I was 14.

I love the look of the bike, comfort, etc. However, if I could find a low mileage 1150 I'd buy it in a heartbeat... LOVE its look, and instead of seeing it as "dated" I see it as "classic"

I believe it will be regarded as a classic design, long after the current iteration is selling for standard used bike prices... there are just some BMW designs that begin to appreciate after they are regarded as timeless... 1150 will join that rank IMHO.
  5. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very true. One of my policies is "never buy new". There's too much insane value out there. Motorcycles are objects that are bought on a whim/impulse, and are highly personal. When the time comes to let go, the original owners have to find a buyer that wants or needs the exact same thing. Also, a buying mistake is easily done (not your type of bike perhaps, not enough time to enjoy it.... etc...)

Which means the motorcycle second hand market is full of good deals. Inversely, it allows the second hand buyer to take a risk, and maybe buy a bike he/she would normally not buy, but not loose a lot in the process.

That being said, never say never. Sometimes shit just happens, and the XCx I bought was new. However I plan to keep it for a few years, which makes it a sensible buy. Also, if you're looking at second hand big bore adv's (GS/multistrada/... ) like me, it would turn out that a new XCx is still cheaper than a second hand bike that started, new, at about twice the price of the XCx.

That being said, I was just browsing through the GS history, to see if I could not find a really good deal for an older one. To see if the new one is really that much of a draw, that it would make the older ones a definite "don't bother" option. And I don't think it is, an older GS still has a lot of charm. But they really blew it out of the water with the WC one, I agree on that.

Are you not missing a "0" there? 20000 miles? 2000 is crazy, that's not even broken in properly! :eek1

That's the bread and butter of bmw dealerships. And they play on that when trying to hook you on a new buy. Well played bmw.

Imagine the bath you're taking when being that sort of customer. That's why the main chunk of the bmw demographic is 40+ year old high earners. Which is ok.

It's a self perpetuating circle: Good product, in high demand, holds its value reasonably well compared to others, which makes trade-in easier, etc...
  6. Sparkinman

Sparkinman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an owner of a R80GS PD, an 1150GS, and a 1200GS I thought I'd chime in for a moment. It really is funny when you see the 3 in the garage together and the evolution of the bike. The R80 with the PD tank holds a true 8.5 gallons, the tanks on the other 2 look big, but obviously are more sheetmetal than capacity. It's also interesting to note how rounded the tank is on the R80, less rounded on the 1150, and flat out "edgy" from the 1200's on. IMHO the R80 looks more like a dirt bike (and handles like one), and the later ones are a little bit too "flashy"..lots of bling bling and goodies!
    As far as a "dated" look to the bikes...it'll happen to all of them eventually, but whether it's nostalgia, or "the one I could never have", or whatever there will always be secondary market for the bikes. I'm not a fan of the K series, not my thing, but a boxer engine in any configuration is a piece of art, and has my attention whenever I see one!
  7. MarkM

MarkM Long timer

Oddometer:
    They all look good to me. I'm especially fond of the older airhead G/S.

Last summer I traded in my '95 R1100RS for a used '13 R1200GS LC with 9K miles. I wanted the new engine, which so far has a more reliable final drive. I also like the wet clutch. And a real cruise control! So my choice was based on the technology, not fashion.
  8. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the new GSW and had a 2013. When they do a refresh in a couple years they need to do something with the radiator fangs. The rest of the bike is beautiful IMHO.