gs 100 bumble bee tire?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Backmarker, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought new frt. and rear tires for a gs 100. The frt. tire is marked tubeless the rear tire says tube type. Both tires are the same model just different sizes. Is it ok to run the rear tire without a tube like the front or should I use a tube in the rear?????? The gs wheels are made to run tubeless tires b.t.w..:ear
  2. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a friendly tip: when asking questions about tires no one really cares what color the bike is. But, responders would be interested in the specific tire you purchased, esp. considering the discrepancy between the front and back as you describe.

In general, if the tire says "tube type" then run a tube. But, if you provide info on the specific tire you bought you might get responses based on experience.

For example, I've run IRC GP 110s on my GS (on the rear) and they were tube types. I've run 'em both w/ and w/out tubes. Never ran the GP 110 on the front though.
  3. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Toyanvil

Toyanvil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I order tires for my red and white GSPD :D, the same tires could be order in tube or tubeless. I would replace it with a tubeless, as the bead will be different.
  5. Albino Reino

Albino Reino Junky

Oddometer:
    I have a teal and black PD and have always gone tubeless. I suppose the bead on the tire would be an issue but, I always thought it was the design of the rim. The spokes are located on the outside of the wheel rather than in the middle so there is no air loss. My 2 cents.
  6. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but what I really need to know is, will that work on a yellow & black model..:D
  7. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cute. You'd think that someone who's failed to get an answer in 3 1/2 days would appreciate a friendly tip. But you decide to flip me off.

Classy.

8. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally, the yellow & black models use the same tires as the white/red models, the purple models, the green models, the white & blue models, and lets not forget the red models with the tire tread on the tank, especially those ones.
    Of course I've seen many use other tires than ones you may see on the yellow & black models. You never can seem to pin down those yellow & black models, they can be tricky as heck. I've seen them with other types of tires before, kind of black tires, with tread all round. And surprisingly roundish.
    I hope this clears up what has started out as a totally stupid question offering very little info to anyone who may have the kindness to answer.
    Now go away unless you can offer Fishkens an apology and give us some basic info on the type of tires you bought so we can answer your question.

Steve
  10. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steve. My first post asks a simple question. The color of the bike makes no difference. Why Mr. Fishkens even brought up the bike color is beyond me. Hence my responce to his attack on me for posting the color of my bike. Why is my org. post (a totally stupid question)????The type of tires I bought is in the org. question (frt. tubeless,rear tube type) both the same model. By post # 6 the color was a joke..
  11. gronk

gronk HIGH ANGLE RIGGER

Oddometer:
    Very High Above Ground!North of The 49th parallel
    My Camo ride's on Bullet proof run flats while riding in war zones.:deal
  12. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    my gs is flat black, what the hell tires should I use??!!
    BTW, I see nothing wrong with the original question.
    I've actually wondered about that as well, what the actual difference is between tube and tubeless. maybe a small difference in bead design to hold air better? it can't be to hold the tire on the rim better, the tire really doesn't care if it has a tube inside it or not, the air pressure pushing against the inside of the tire will still be the same, tube or no tube.
  13. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    btw, Mr. fishkens gave you the benefit his tire mounting experiences in post 2 ... which you seem to have missed.

:dunno[/QUOTE] Nah, didnt miss it I acknowledged it in post #3 before I gave him the adv salute.:D
  14. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell both beads appear to be the same. I think I"m going to install a rear tube just to be safe. However I would like to know why the tire manufacturer requires a tube in the rear but not the front of the same tire. Thanks for the reply.
  15. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    Why not just tell us what tires they are? You just might get a good answer.
  16. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tire brand should not matter and would only pit a war against brand a. vs. brand b. etc.. The question is, why make the front tubeless and not the rear. Is it safe not to put a tube in the rear If you have a tubeless rim?
  17. bmwblake

bmwblake upside down parker

Oddometer:
    i run tube type rears without a tube on my r100gs a good majority of the time. take that for what it's worth.

18. Backmarker

Backmarker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and its worth a lot..
  19. eric123

eric123 Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer:
    So...What kind of oil do you guys use? :ear
  20. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    It all depends on the color of the bike.