Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jun 17, 2006.

1. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

Woody ,

These are the exact numbers I come up with , not exactly the same manner , but nevertheless , the same answere . 4.5mm

I even mentioned this number to the builder before I sent thim and he said no problem.

I have a few sets of this setup and sent pics with a straight edge clamped underneath each rotor sticking out to edge of hoop showing where the hub should be located and sent pics of the 1 that's not correct to compare and he still cant get it . :huh

Chain , with this number there is no chain rub with a 150 , I would imagine if ya wanted to squeeze a 160 in you could prolly cheat the offset over 10-12 mm if the spoke drill on the rim would allow that .

Now ,

How much to move my hub over 10mm , which is what its currently out . :deal

[​IMG]
  2. dannyc1225

dannyc1225 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,

I have some (21/18) Aftermarket excels (8.5mm holes) for my YZ250 (2009) ready to go. I haven't bought spokes yet..

1) Can these rim's be super laced without drilling/resinking nipple seats? Visually, it looks like the nipple seats and bores can accommodate the little extra angle from the x-3.
    2) If so can I buy the superlace spokes from you and build the wheels myself? (I have built a couple wheels a while ago but would really like to do it since I've got some time before the season begins)
    3) My riding history says that I am not that hard on wheels so I dont think I would see the value of oversized spokes? (Would like to keep the wheels light)
    4) Would you be able to quote me:
    a) superlace spokes F & R if possible? or
    b) 8.5mm alu nipples for the front oem spokes and 18" cross-2 spoke set for the rear?

THANK YOU!!
    Danny (I'm in Denver)
  3. Pajss

Pajss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a question...:lol3...I have a 2000 Cagiva Gran Canyon, with SanRemo tube-type rims. The front is a 2.15" x 19" 36 spoke/hole rim, and the rear is a 4.25" x 17" 36 spoke/hole rim. The spokes appear to be stainless and are 3.5mm with straight pull style hubs. My current wheelset is polished/clearcoated and the clearcoat is coming off. The wheelset is true with no issues other than clearcoat. These are street wheels. My interest ......Use my hubs and rebuild with...
    Tubeless spoked rims ..................
    Better tube-type rims ..................
    Any thoughts, approximate, prices, timeline ?
    Thank you for your time.:clap
    Kary Schneider
  4. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Danny,

We do have to drill/countersink both the hubs and rims to allow the superlace. It would only be 30 per wheel for us to drill them both, and 128 ea. wheel for the stainless steel spokes/nipples.

We can also supply aluminum nipples for 50 for the front , and a rear stainless steel spoke/nipple kit for 99.

The superlace is very worth it because it adds very little weight, and makes the wheel much more durable. We take all the break in out of the wheel's with the superlace if done properly.

If you wanted us to lace/true them it would be 111 for the superlace on ea. wheel.

Best thing is to stop by and we can get you taken care of.

Thanks zach

5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    We can lace new excel rims, 2.5 x 19 front and 4.25 x 17 and stainless steel spokes/nipples then seal themf or tubeless tires. It would be 1175 + shipping for the silver excel rims, stainless steel spokes/nipples, lace/true and sealing.

If your rims have safety bead's without the serrations in the bead area we can possibly recondition them and seal them for tubeless tires. The price can vary from 300-450 per wheel depending on what is needed.

It would be best to send some pics of your wheels to woodyswheelworks@gmail.com to get a better estimate.

thanks zach

6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    I need to get a wheel rebuilt. I had you do the superlace on a 21" yz hub for my sportster project. I crashed it and the front wheel needs a rebuild. This time I want to go with a 19 " what's the options and price?

here is the bike before crash

[​IMG]
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ok real bigman,,my answers/comments in bold/yello

8. regnock

regnock WunderLINQ Developer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,

Do 21" HP2 spokes work with R100GS rim/1200GS Hub Combo, if so do you know if their stainless?

Thanks
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    FYI,,,most all bmw spokes are interchangeable,,,,most all spokes post '98 have been ss..so yes,,we always use thes for all our r100gs r100gs/pd repairs,,

FYI,,we also have our ss beefier Super-Tuff spokes and ss nipples for Superlacing any BME X-laced wheel....

FYI,,if you are planning on re-building the X-laced wheel your self,,be forewarned you like most everyone else may live to regret it...the good news is that we are ready willing and able to clean up the mess not to mention provide you with parts an dadvice along the way:deal

thanks for the inquiry
    woody
  10. regnock

regnock WunderLINQ Developer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might take you up on that offer. :)

How much would your Super-Tuff spoke/nipple combo be?
    And how much for the lacing and truing?

Thanks
  11. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody,

A friend just bought a setup from you for his X-Challenge and may give me a deal on his old wheels. How much to lace up a set of 17" wheels if I supply the OEM hubs? in the alternative, how much to lace up a 19" front if I supply the hub? I'm looking to go budget as these will just be a fun set of wheels. thanks.
  12. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    This is just a quick N Dirty off the cuff quote since I'm leaving for Hawaii in a few minutes,,,:wink:

The 17" front/rear = circa $800-1K depending on availability of used rims/lace technique,,I'm sure we don't have Any used spoke kits around...:cry

The 19" front = circa $350-450+

Call the number below ,,ask for Zach my right hand wizard,,,he has abetted handle what's in our used parts department or maybe even used wheel dept,,,will give you credit for your hubs,,

Mahalo uni loa ,,,as they say in Hawaii...
    :freaky
    Woody
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    I believe the Supertuff kits are circa $240 + $150 X-lace n true + unlace prep fee of $30-80 depending on how hard they come apart

Call number below,,ask for Zach for more info,,
    Like I mentioned earlier ,,am leaving for Hawaii for much needed R&R
    Woody
  14. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the prices. Enjoy Hawaii!

15. PaulGinAZ

PaulGinAZ VW's and Adventure bikes.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for straightening out the front wheel on my GS before taking off Woody! I am looking forward to getting it back for this weekend. :clap
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    As much as Woody love's buiding and truing wheels...he has bigger fish to fry. FYI, he has empowered myself and others to take care of all the wheel's including all the X-laced wheel truing and servicing. He's taking on a much bigger role of designing new stuff and over the past year getting his dream shop in place after purchasing the missing link...the 7,500 square foot adjoining building. He's off to Hawaii for a few days acting as tour guide for some dear freinds from old Germany. He'll be back at next week on the 24th...:freaky.

Thanks for everything and let us know how you like the straight wheel.

zach

17. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zac,

Thanks for the wheels. The X-Project begins :evil

[​IMG]
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hey Zack,

I just sent you guys an email via your web site regarding a wheel for my Sporty project. Ideally I would love to have you cut a set of spokes for it and to lace/true the wheel myself but I am also open to having you do the lace/true for me depending upon cost. Obviously you get what you pay for and having seen the work you've done I am convinced that I can't go wrong either way.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

David in FL :freaky
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    sorry for the delay,,the guys are up to their ears,,i just got back so let me just give you a ball park $$$ bunch of numbers ,,since i don't have the specifics..

1,,custom spoke kits range from $100-135 in ss n ss depending on size

2,,same thing using Zartan nipples saves ya circa $20/set

3,,custom lace n true = $100,,whereas Superlace n true = $111 with one year warranty

hope that helps
    woody
  20. flyingscotsmac

flyingscotsmac Mac

Oddometer:
    Hi Woody. Long story, quick question please. A local shop scraped my F800GS front wheel when installing a new tire. They de-laced the wheel and sent it out to be powder coated. Wheel (Behr) returned with no direction indicator visible so I can't tell if it was re-laced correctly in the proper direction. Does it matter or is it purely a function of the hub/rotor assy rotation?

Thanks for your help!

Mac