Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #46
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
I run CAD software on it and mapsource as well. I'm a fan of android for phones etc, but it doesn't replace computers. Imagine walking into an internet cafe somewhere to print something out or whatever. Just plug it in and away you go. Compatibility is king when om the road and for me those win tabs win on laptops over stability (no HDD) and size.

Umm..I can print to any web enabled printer from my droid tablet..I do at home all the time on our HP. If I need can also save my word .doc or docx I created using my Bluetooth keyboard on the droid and put it on a thumb drive and plug it in to print.

I don't mind people bashing android but at least bash it for something it isn't. It is just as compatable as windows if not more so with the open source app developers...yes compatability and portability are king and droid has that..so do win tablets..I just prefer droid..
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #47
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
Not bashing droid at all. It's what I use on phones, but it is limited if you want to drop into an internet cafe on a trip and hard wire it on. I can't reload my garmin on a droid neither.

Win tabs are fully fledged computers without a keyboard. Don't know about the surface, but I try to limit my exposure to microsoft so went with the acer. I do everything I did on my work laptop. No HDD to defragment means windows remains as fast (or slow) as when first installed.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #48
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
hard wire to what in an internet café? What internet café does not have wireless? If you need to wire in you can buy a simple micro USB to LAN adapter and plug right in.

Also, to load a Garmin couldn't you just use the phone to download and store the maps then dump them into the SD car from the droid and plug it in? Or does Garmin use so propriety software? I just use my table for my nav :)

Curious on this as always trying to figure out way to do things with the tablet.

Hambonee screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 09:06 PM
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #49
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,445
Things like printers, but it doesn't need to be an internet cafe. Could be a hotel lobby, border official's office, etc. I'm just trying to point out the compatibility with 90% of the rest of the world really.

Garmin uses mapsource and now basecamp to upload data.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #50
DaviGust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Printing is what blew me away when I brought my Surface RT home. As soon as I joined my home wireless my Canon network printer just showed up as available and ready. My Nexus didn't know that trick. That and knowing pretty much anything I plug into my USB port will connect and just work. I've tried webcams, printers, and cameras on my Nexus and not had any luck.

Overall, I'm impressed with Windows on tablets.
DaviGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #51
staikosn1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Macbook air or ipad is the way out.
Hours of standby and playing time!!
staikosn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #52
NZLADY650
beamerbarb

Oddometer: 27
Photos downloaded from Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 to Advrider

Can anyone help with info on how to do the above?
NZLADY650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #53
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLADY650 View Post
Can anyone help with info on how to do the above?
Try using Tapatalk. It will simplify it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #54
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I would strongly recommend a netbook such as an Asus eeePC. Cheap, strong and will do everything you want.

Personally I have found that tablets aren't so convenient in the real world and they usually end up sitting on my coffee table being used very occasionally. I won't buy them anymore.

I have a 64 gig iPad and an Asus EEE PC 1025c. The 1025c replaced an older model (900?) I had that didn't survive falling on concrete and then being stepped on.

The 1025c comes as near perfect for a netbook with one exception.. it only had 1 gig of memory. It will work with 1 gig but is horrendously slow. Having said that it still would run Mapsource, surf the web, run videos, etc. Batteries last most of a day, it goes in stanby and can last a week or so without chagiong, it fires up in seconds. It's size and weight are not dramatically differnet than my iPad.

Upgrading to two gigs (a bit tedious to do) made an incredible difference in how well it works. I still find the iPad handier for flying and tend to have it with me most of the time but he Netbook certianly does most of what the OP asked.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote