Cool kickstarter project, really useful for adv riders

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Llamaha, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Beak

Beak Oglyarchy Hunter

Oddometer:
    At first I thought it was pretty lame, but then I saw it had a hidden blade that could do some other stuff and I thought it was pretty cool, and then I saw that the girlfriend (who was smoking' hot up to this point) could track his every move with it on her laptop and I decided it was totally lame!!! The next commercial will probably show our hero using his to tie off his testicles while she threads hers through a 12" phallus.
  3. Llamaha

Llamaha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha yeah nobody wants that, though the GPS was only demonstrated in the most expensive version. Having a strap that can be used to strap something down on the bike, haul the bike out of a bad spot or just be used a giant zip-tie seems pretty useful though, as well as the knife. The flint not so much...
  4. Zeke Markham

Zeke Markham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's easy enough to carry all that stuff on its own, and your pants won't fall down when you have to gather some firewood.
  5. zetabird

zetabird Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ya its a neat idea id like the multi tool fire starter one just cuz ferrocium rods are fun to play with, i just wounder how it would hold up for carrying ive had a holeless belt that didnt work it would pop loose, and thats not a good thing with a 5 inch 1911 hanging from it
  6. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    yeah, I saw this yesterday and looked as well
    I have two belts, a leather one with holes and a webbing one with plastic buckles (that I made years ago and I think is classy as in teh right situation)

so why do I need another belt?
    thats the problem I think, they want to crowd fund it but why would I put any $$$ in for something I dont need - unless I lost my belt and they happened to be selling them right there right then

I like the idea but that is all

Hay Ewe
  7. Hay Ewe

Hay Ewe Just a Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I just looked up their website and now I know a bit more
    I knew about crowd funding / kick start from what I had read hear on ADV and now a quick read of the website it is clearer.

Started by a young couple, it seems to be a home grown product and the kick starter is a way of funding development with out going in to debt too much - a modern way of funding in a modern world

I am thinking that I might like one of these belts

Hay Ewe
  8. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This ^^

Most of the things done with that belt would cause my pants to fall down - *if* I only wore a belt - which most of the time is true. However, if I am going out in the woods or someplace like that, I will usually also be wearing some kind of suspenders.

Even if I was wearing only the belt, in an emergency I would find much of that useful and would care less about my pants falling down than about having a useful belt for purposes other than holding my pants up.

As for the GPS - if it can be turned off and on at my discretion, then I won't mind it. I already have a SPOT - it would be nice to have something like that which is always with me.

That said, I have my doubts about whether they can deliver a GPS device that small which can report your position.
  9. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And BTW - part of my EDC is a ToolLogic folding knife with firesteel, whistle, small LED flashlight and of course, the knife blade.

[​IMG]

It is almost always clipped in my pocket before I step out the door in the morning.

But it would hurt to have a backup in my belt - which I can't step five feet from my bedroom without my pants falling down, so I will always have it on.
  10. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of these, wear it every day.
    [​IMG]

It's supposedly strong enough to tow a bike, strap something to the bike, use it for a emergency climbing harness, etc. Guess what? In the time I've owned it (many years), it's only ever been a belt. No climbing, no strapping, nothing. A belt. It's a cool belt, but that's all it does.

I like the "hole-less" belts though. Might be a nice replacement for the Bison Designs.
  11. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    Going back 2 decades or more...when my kids were newborns / infants...I always thought that there would certainly be a market for an "embedded GPS tracker chip" for kids.

Arguably, the percentage of kids who wander off or are kidnapped is microscopic...but there isn't a greater fear for a parent than the idea that their kid would fall into such a circumstance. And while a surgically embedded tracker might sound very "Jason Bourne / Neo-ish". it's also very invasive and may not be practical. Also have no idea about how well the tracker would work in various locales.

Similarly, a tracker embedded in a unit worn around your neck might be a hassle / easily forgotten or lost / otherwise impractical...for kids, for college-aged students, and for senior citizens who may become "confused" and wander off in their dotage. Burying this functionality into a belt buckle is an awesome idea, in my opinion...provided that it is robust / durable and that this isn't something that you're paying $14.95/ month for coverage on.

Worth digging further on...for me, anyway!