loud exhaust options?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by jacoba331, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jacoba331

jacoba331 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i used to have an 1150 with the ztechnick exhaust and i loved the throaty sound. i currently ride the 1200 with a ztechnick, but it is much quieter than my previous ride.

any mods you guys do to get a little louder sound? and if you do mess with the baffles will that screw with the motor efficiency or electronics? any cans out there that pump out a beefy(er) sound? any ideas or experiences or opinions are much appreciated.
  2. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    Jack up the handlebars and drive a harley under them? :dunno
  3. Jazz62

Jazz62 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. bimmer5891

bimmer5891 Adventurer

Oddometer:

What year 1200GS?
  5. K9XX

K9XX 2 wheels or no wheels

Oddometer:
    I mounted a Yoshimura RS3 first, which added a nice grunt. Then I opted for the Remus header/cat delete. This promptly blew out the packing in the RS3 and now my GS is LOUD! I've had this setup for almost 20,000 miles now and other than the occasional subtle backfire/popping on deceleration it runs great! The mechanic at the dealer loves when I bring it in. He has the same setup on his GS only with a TBR can that is also void of packing like mine. At night, at the right angle, it makes fire:clap

This reply was 98% true and factual.
  6. Karlxx

Karlxx Dirt Curious

Oddometer:
    I also have no Cat with a Leo Vince SBK, it is truly offensive :evil and should also be very offensive on a 1200.
  7. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    If you lived next door to me, I would be offended by your loud motorbike. I would call the law and have you cited for disturbing the peace and tranquility.

Boxers make uninspiring engine sounds...there is no cam overlap and the engine dynamics just do not produce a nice engine song.

Listen to an old Brit 500cc single like a Matchless or a Manx Norton if you want nice engine sounds...otherwise, you're just makin' unpleasant racket.

My riding mower V twin B&S makes nicer sounds than the boxer.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You want loud? Get an Acropovic full exhaust. Not only are they stupid loud, but you get to pay a premium for the pleasure of offending everyone!:deal

Jim :brow
  9. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    drill holes in the cat
  10. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two options that are relatively cheap:

1. Hollow out your silencer.
    2. Remove silencer and replace with a straight pipe.

Too loud? Use steel wool. Fits nicely in your ear canal.
  11. jacoba331

Oddometer:
  12. jacoba331

Oddometer:
    lets get a video to hear this bad boy!
  13. DSTEVENS

DSTEVENS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I disagree with the opinion that the boxer engine has a poor exhaust note, Listen to the stock 2010 and later exhaust, that is mechanical music, not loud enough for my tastes, but music none the less. As for noise makers the Akrapovic full system for off road(no cat) is pure mechanical symphony, I love the sound of that motor. I will have the Akra system soon, besides the only people that I worry about waking up is the next batch of immigrants crossing the river, I also live 3 blocks from Southern Pacific line, the people round here wouldnt know if you started a top fuel dragster at 6am. Best wishes to you noise makers. D.
  14. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    take the can off and get a chrome turn out tip.

For the record... I'm glad you live 1000 miles north of me :D
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    The old Ducatis with the bevel gear drive OHC and a megaphone sounded OK but, the big Brit singles have sounds that are unmatched.

With valve timing that had both intake and exhaust valves opened at the same time (that's called overlap in cam profile parlance), a small dia. exhaust pipe and a short RCM, a big Dellorto or Amal carburetor...sorry, your boxer sounds anemic compared to those vintage Brit bikes. It appears that your archive of motorcycle sounds is limited to modern day engines....pity.
  16. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Something that has not been mentioned yet is the safety factor of having an exhaust note that can be heard by people in cars, especially when in the blind side of a driver if they look distracted or like they are texting i will rev a little to let them know i am coming through..its weird GS owners seem really anti aftermarket exhausts..i am a real nut for opening up the exhaust sound and have enjoyed Yoshimura's, Alrapovics, Leo Vince's..I see they make a Termignogni exhaust for the GS..although i cant find one post from any owners on the feedback..strange
  17. sno-where

sno-where Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to mention that a loud pipe (not harley loud), is always good for getting those pesky cagers that like to follow too close, to back away. Living in the mountains, I see alot of out of state dodge trucks that like to follow close, but are too chicken to pass. The highway is constantly patroled by the fuzz, so riding fast to lose them is a good option to get many tickets. So by dropping a gear or two, I can blast them back with some exhaust noise!
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Most GS owners are big on miles, not noise. Further, if you do those miles, you really do not want the noise for hours on end. Also, many of us believe that the safety in riding is far more about situational awareness than projecting noise and hoping someone hears you despite the road noise, AC, rolled up windows and loud stereos most cars have going on these days. Lastly, noise projects aft, not forward. So, unless you ride backwards, the cars you are approaching won't hear you.:deal

But, maybe that is just me. :dunno

Jim :brow
  19. BMW JEEP

BMW JEEP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to own an '07 1200R, and after previously owning several cruisers, wanted just a thoatier sound, but not loud. At the same time, Ztechnik was having a clearance sale on their slip-ons, and their complete exhaust systems (including headers). I called them and told them what I was seeking, and they said that the slip-on alone would not make much difference, but that replacing the whole system and leaving the sound reducer in the muffler would result in a different, throatier tone. They offered me the whole system for about $600, I bought it, and they were right. That R12R sounded really nice, not loud, just a lower, rumbly sound. Worked exactly as they said. To give an analogy, I would say it sounded like a late model factory Mustang GT. Well within reasonable loudness, just a lower pitched rumble. Sounded better than any other boxer I've ever heard.
    As was noted above, the cat has got to go to get that tone it seems you're wanting. That said, it's more money and you have to make sure the whole system is compatable with cylinder head protectors, crash guards, etc.

I do have to agree with the previous comment that my 2010RT sounds pretty nice stock.
  20. firstwordisee

firstwordisee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing like adventuring in the wilderness with a loud pipe, especially if you have a few buddies with loud pipes too. Hell, lets all get loud pipes and piss of the Sierra club even more.:norton