The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will that Jan. GS be sold to you as a 2013 model or as a 2014 model? (I assume you're expecting the new water cooled version).
  2. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Are LED lights on the option list?
  3. Rauven

Rauven I like the cold...

Oddometer:
    Well, in case of Norway it isn't really BMWs doing. The policy here is a quite closed market supporting local products and buisneses. So we have a very high income, which results in high prices where human work is required, so for the local dealerships not to die from people importing from abroad where it is twice cheaper
    there is an almost 100% import tax. So importing comes out basically the same as buying here. Bit of a self propelling mechanism...
  4. Bronkin

Bronkin n00b

Oddometer:
    I am number 2 on the list at Asheville NC dealer. No pricing yet and im hoping led lights are available in the us.
  5. Oldpeg

Oldpeg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody has an idea of an approximate retail base price of the liquid-cooled 2013 1200 GS? Or has a good cristal ball?

Thanks.
  6. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    Read up on this thread--the last few pages. According to the ADV Hive Mind, should be priced about the same as the outgoing camhead.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20038900#post20038900
  7. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not arguing with a dealer, just observing that my local dealer just told me 2013 model at first, which surprised me. Who cares? Assuming the first model year is buggier, a 2014 may be a bit more reliable than at 2013. If they are all 2014s, the continuous improvement process will still favor a later bike.
  8. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Not a dealer, my friend...........

But I did stay in a Holiday Inn last nite....:deal

Do have friends in the Business....thru out.:wink:
  9. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    What are you hearing about the LED headlight option in the U.S.?
  10. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Nothing definitive...yet, although they are requested on my order, no info on pricing yet either, but my understanding is that it is to be about the same as the current model.
  11. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bikes sold in 2013 might well be "bugier" but I doubt your going to find out and have revisions by 2014. Very few people do enough miles in a year to show design problems unless it's a huge problem. The first of the 1200s were 2004 but the first fd redesign wasn't until 2006 then 2007, 2008 and 2010 although a few of those changes were only drain plugs and stuff. Fuel pump controllers took until 2008-2009 to sort out. Basically don't expect to wait a year and get a well sorted model if even any different at all. When you think about it though there has only been a couple of show stopping common problems, although a good few niggles and one of them, the fd has never been fully sorted.
  12. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    San Fransisco.
  13. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Not sure if serious...

If so, a bad idea, the locals have been snippy lately over foreskins, whale or otherwise.
  14. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I'm serious. It's a big market there.
  15. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Los Angeles. Southern California has lot of adventure riding, and then along onto Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Utah.
  16. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my take on this bikes 1st run. BMW is releasing "2014" model in March next year - 2013. So all of 2013, we will have 2014 model, then comes the following year - 2014, the bike will not become 2015, but remain the same. Hence, 2014 WC GS will remain as is for two years.

Few Small enhancements if we're required, won't happen till 2015! :eek1

Personally if I were to get it, it would this new 2014 model, no point waiting for two years for any minute fixes.
  17. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    Probably. You're going to have a bigger crowd there with deeper pockets compared to the 4 bordering states. Those states are big for adventure riding, but I still think Cali is where it will premier. Completely speculation though, I could be completely wrong.
  18. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    +1. I agree. Good points.
  19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Not really. Changes happen as needed and at any time in the production cycle and need not wait for a new model year. We've seen this when the 1200GS was introduced as a 2005 model in 2004, along with other BMW bikes where subtle and unannounced changes happen mid cycle.. This is espeically obvious when a problematic part is updated with a new part number for the current model year. For example when they had a problem with the immobilizer antenna, there were 4 successive part numbers before the problem was resolved.
  20. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Agree, but not always 'as needed' at least by my definition. Some issues remain for years for some reason.