Correct Bar Height for staning on G/S

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by One Less Harley, Feb 10, 2014.

1. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    seems like I should know this, but I really don't.

When standing on the pegs what is a good rule of thumb for the bar height while standing? If anyone has a nice good side photo that would be great.

Bar height based on bent or straight legs???

Currently my bars while standing are about waist level or just below. So I have to lean a little forward.

plus when raising the bar for standing, how does that effect the nimbleness for road carving on pavement??
  2. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my back does not hurt!!! :rofl

Whatever is comfortable and feels safe - when riding dirt it is better to stand so you can shift weight quicker.

Someone who is 5'7'' compared to Someone who is 6'3'' will make a difference.

Also some who is 25 compared to an average age here of 50 will make a difference.

Now try to ride a trials bike for 25 miles on a trail OWWEEEE!!!:eek1
  3. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ok so since that is not true, I agree with Biebs.

It's about comfort and safety. Even two different 5' 9" 200lb guys may have different setups to achieve safety and comfort for each.
  4. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    two replies and no help what so ever...
  5. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well that's a hard question since there are so many variables. I have 3" risers and the rise on my bars is around 3.5". As I am standing with knees slightly bent and against the tank, I pretty much can grasp the grips....I leave my perches loose so I can rotate them for comfort. But I am only 5'4", inseam 32", sleeve length is 22, and I have a long torso for a chick. And I also am leaning slightly forward as I feel a bit more steady hanging over the tank a bit.
  6. GrahamM

GrahamM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my thoughts.

for off road the statement use to be... in attack position you should be balanced so not to fall forward or back... knees slightly bent, elbows out, hands on the handlebars.

but now a days the pros are going stock height as it ensure most weight over the front wheel and improves turning in extreme enduro conditions.

Tight turning riding with quick maneuvering... lowest is possible.

racing over open desert might be a different story, likely a comfortable standing position while keeping sufficient weight to the front.

signed up for Chris Birch day of off road techniques in June, will let you know what I learn there.
  7. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I have under 1 inch rise over stock right now. With the mods I'm getting ready to do I should have about 2 inches (Adding a Scott's damper and BPR riser for the damper). I plan on using stock bars, but could go with a lower rise bar to keep me at about the 1 inch rise.

I'm 6'2" I would like it to be better feeling while standing and don't want to loose the on pavement nimbleness.

I like the thought of getting the bar a little higher as I've always felt the bar has been to low. Plus the tank sits low, can't do to much about that, don't want lower pegs.

My DRZ fit's me a little better, the tank is up higher between my legs which feels more secure and I have better control (grip on the tank), plus the bar height feels a little better. Still I would like to raise it, but that gets into wiring issues.
  8. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I had pretty much just lived with the way it was with the stock bars and <1" riser, but with the changes I'm getting ready to do I'm looking for ideas on how to go about the height issues.

Right now it feels like I'm reaching down to the bars while standing, no bent arms unless almost squatting or w/ back arched.
  9. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, hate to say most people I know with that gripe fought with the controls and bars...then ended up lowering the pegs and Voila! Problem solved.:bluduh
  10. GrahamM

GrahamM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Based on this I would put the bike on the centre stand, find your comfortable balance position figuring out where your hand would be in that position... maybe get a spare set of handlebars that someone could hold for you in different positions to see how you feel.
  11. walkingbear

walkingbear airhead_motocave

Oddometer:
    when standing on your pegs, you should be able to reach you bars with a slight bend at the waist. This is so the balance between front and back and side is achievable.

To much bend at the wasit will put the weigh forward on your front end.

That how it was told to me at Rawhide
  12. scarygary

scarygary Drawing blanks

Oddometer:
    Try lowering the pegs. The G/S is quite tight for you long legged types.. or having a riser but more pull back.. like a Rox adjustable riser.

I think the bike was designed for a lower posture..

[​IMG]

Or with lots of knee bend in mind.

[​IMG]
  13. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Ideally youre standing on the bike in the same position that you would stand at a bar. Thats what Jimmy Lewis told me :D

AHa.. found this image of him riding my bike in 05 or 06:

[​IMG]

But I basically would google Jimmy Lewis BMW and get an idea what his position actually looks like, that way. well, I did, and found this :D

Raising the bars for standing changed the whole road manners of the GS, for me, and not for the better. I had to live with it, though, because I needed awesome corner carving ability less than I needed to stand for an hour at a time.
  14. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here. I find it is definitely a compromise.

I would put the bike on the center stand and stand on the pegs with bars slightly loose and adjust to what feels good. Just rotating the bars up and down in the clamps can make a huge difference. Making VROOM! noises while doing this may also help :D
  15. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    As everyone has said its subjective and depends on the riders intent,
    Mostly road, half and half, mostly dirt...

I've not figured out what the best set up is for my GS, but I suspect that it would be about 1.5" risers with stock height and width bars

I like to ride standing with my feet level to slightly low in the heel, knees against the tank. With a slight forward lean but not stooped over.
    With my hands maybe even with the bottom of my rib cage or slightly lower.

I'm 5'8" with a 29"in inseam so short legs long torso, long arms and wide shoulders.
    Moderate off road limited to mostly forest roads or jeep trails, little to no single track and no real open desert riding.
  16. ME 109

ME 109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a bunch of sissies. Try doing it on an RS! :D
  17. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike wasn't designed for standing; it has a street bike chassis like all 247s. To make it standable without the ape-hanger effect while sitting, you need to increase the peg-seat distance as well as the peg-bar distance. My GS will end up with a much taller seat. I'd like to drop the pegs but I would have to do something about the centerstand, like shorten the extension.

All IMO of course but I remember Jimmy Lewis specifically mentioning the poor geometry of the Airhead at some event (I think it was the 2002 launch of the GS Adventure in Ocala). The R11GS is better... I haven't numerically compared them but I should.
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I set up dual sport bikes so they are comfortable standing. I'm 6'2 so raising the bars and lowering the pegs is a given.

When straight legged I want a straight back and still be able to hold the grips in my palms.

Sitting...i just get used to it.
  19. Darryl's bmw

Darryl's bmw Darby

Oddometer:

I did that all the time so my wife could give me a butt rub!
  20. DK Dan

DK Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that they worked with the late Gaston Rahier as a test pilot for the G/S and with his height at 5'2 the bike ergonomics were just fine :D

Joking a side I have found that making lowered and forwarded foot pegs made it more comfortable standing. Also I have 5 cm risers and Magura AX bars which have a quite high profile similar to the ones SWT motorsports just posted in his thread. I would like to try some Rox pivoting risers since I still feel it would be more comfortable if the bars were tilted more towards me.