ND: TRNP & Little Mo Natl Grassland?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tmaximusv, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip for next June through Black Hills, north then across MT. Good looking area between has me intrigued. Are any of the roads through these NP paved? I'll be riding a GS, but my cousin will be on a Road King and I don't think I'd like to lead him on long distances until he's got more miles behind him.

Alternate suggestions welcome.

TYIA!
  2. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a nice paved loop through the South Unit of TRNP. And some cool unpaved roads as well.

[​IMG]
  3. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As said above there is a nice paved loop in the South Unit of the park. In the north unit there is a paved scenic drive, but it is currently only open for about half of its length due to road slumping. I am not sure when it will be repaired. Most other roads in the area are going to be gravel but it is pretty well groomed assuming it hasn't been beating up by the oil field trucks. About the only paved road though the national grasslands is ND hwy 16 which runs from Beach up to just east of Sidney, MT. If you are planning to hit both units of the park, I would not go up Highway 85 even though it is the direct route because of heavy oil traffic and it is pretty boring. This route is much more fun if you don't mind the time or extra 65 miles or so.
  4. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice. I'll add it to my notes.

I was talking to a cousin's boyfriend yesterday. He works construction in the Bokken and finds the roads completely insane. Looks like ND won't have any paved surfaces in the west if they don't step up the building.