Clean the oil jet for clutch lubrication.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by KTRMN8R, Jan 14, 2007.

1. KDCanyonRanch

KDCanyonRanch Twist it, twist it!

Oddometer:
    Just checked mine and it had a flake of metal crap over it. Never knew, thanks for everyone's posts. Damn that hole is small!

Thanks
  2. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Removed and cleaned mine last night. Maybe never been done in over 30k miles. Clutch felt much better cold this morning, and better overall than it has in awhile. Fairly easy procedure (<20 minutes).

Cap and oil jet are hiding behind the c/s sprocket cover.
    [​IMG]

Sprocket cover, case guard, and clutch slave cyl out of the way.
    Ready to remove oil jet cap.
    [​IMG]

Hi-tech oil jet removal tool.
    Jet came out easily, maybe cause the engine was hot.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The clutch oil jet.
    [​IMG]

Jet seemed to be clogged with mud. Couldn't see any light thru it until poked with a toothbrush brisstle and blown out with carb cleaner.

-M
    Whitey1, Barekat and 530steve like this.
  3. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Nice photos rider. Great addition to the collective. A simple operation, butt one that's often overlooked.
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... and possible VERY important.
    After cleaning the oil jet, I pulled the outer clutch cover and pressure cap to inspect the clutch booster ramps. They looked like hell. Could be the lack of lubrication contributes to booster wear. But this belongs in a different thread...

-M
  5. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks so much!!

tz

6. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    to 0.50 mm. At a thread describing improvements for the lc8s prepared for Paris-Dakkar race was mentioned boring the oil jets to 1.0mm. That sounds too wide for me but I have it bored to 0.50. Less prone to clogging I guess. Cheers.
  7. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    I took some sticky bearing grease, put it on a flat rod tip and took her out without issue. I used a good carb spray to clean it then, reinstalled, piece of cake:1drink
  8. RJO

RJO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Decided to check my jet today........

17000miles and the clutch 'slipped' at first when cold. Checked the jet...BLOCKED.

Easily blown through and reassembled. Whole job in a cold and quite dark garage took 40 minutes. DO IT! The job is easy and serves to protect the clutch...

Roger.
  9. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    adding this to the list of to do on RootKiller's bike... and addition to mine and future services on other bikes. thanks for all the photos Rider.

Ken
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Another happy de-clogged jet here.
    Found some metal flake and a ball of brown goonk in mine.:huh
    I wonder how long its been clogged? probably just the last 40,000 miles or so.:cry
  11. frank wheelbarrow

frank wheelbarrow ten four

Oddometer:
    NORTHERN UTAH, PLANET EARTH ITS ALL THE SAME!!!
    What.. no pictures, no step by steps, well it is winter.:dunno:whip

12. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    If so many oil jets are plugged, what are the chances they are plugged again in a short period of time.

I was wondering if the engine should be run for a very short time with the jet out, but the cap on, to flush any particles in the oil passageway.

Warning: this will lower oil pressure in engine so NO riding this way.

What do you think?

jim
  13. bobz

bobz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    since this plugged so easily the factory needs to come up with a little screen or filter that fits on top of the jet to catch any crap before it blocks that tiny orifice. every time I check it, it plugged. I also run the engine a few seconds with the jet out and then with the jet in and the plug out just to flush out any stuff hanging around. bobz
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I've not had any issues w/ mine. Check it every 10,000 miles. :dunno
  15. batoutoflahonda

batoutoflahonda Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok so I read this. Pulled mine at 13k. Not plugged.

Got to thinking about this little jet, considering the clutch is on the other side of the engine, this little jet can serve only to keep the bushing and seal wet that the rod passes thru, with out having excess oil pressure blow by the seal.

People experiencing clutch basket wear, well, welcome to KTM. I've had a few KTM dirt bikes, friends who have them. The fingers on the KTM clutch baskets are notorious for having the clutch disks wear groves in them. Best solution is to go with an after market basket, or grind the grooves smooth.

If the clutch grabs when the bike is cold that is normal as the oil is still thick. My '07 Honda CBR does it, my BMWs real wheel spins and they have a dry clutch. All my dirt bikes have done it.

And to all the KTM noobs. Back in the day, before the internet, when KTM was almost like a start up company in the US. Hell, I remember driving 3 hrs to a barn in the middle of BFE Indiana to get a piston and rings. I waited 5 months for a gasket set for a KTM 250EXC once.

Things are a little better. Two things.

1) If your dealer can't get parts. Find another dealer. Odds are the old KTM dealers have a savvy parts guy who KNOWS. (like the one in Hayward CA. [before it burnt] Rock on dude.)

2) Tell 'em to cancel the parts order. Order it yourself off the net, then hand it to them the next day on a platter. Trust me. I've played this game before with BMW. You'll be surprised how fast they get parts.

3) You CAN rebuild the engines with a grinder and an ACE Hardware.:D
  16. Pedrom

Pedrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thought was to cut a piece of the green scotch bright pad & put it between the plug & jet. What-a-think of that idea??

17. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I think... stuff comming off the pad would create more clogging material. Plus the passages in the pad are way bigger than the hole in the jet.....I think.
  18. Lost Again

Lost Again Fresher Meat

Oddometer:
    I just want to thank Rider 914 for the photo tutorial. I have noticed a much smoother clutch action in the cold morning hours. This forum is great. And thanks to all who share their experience and expertise.
  19. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    Hm. How does this jet lubricate the clutch plates? They are on the opposite side of the engine. The only thing I can see is that this lubricates the pushrod... am I missing something?
  20. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    Exactly my question. Oiling the rod is important and that I believe is the function of the jet. The plates get there oil from?????