I Wanna Turn a Sport Bike Into a "Tourer"...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by stripple, Apr 11, 2013.

1. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Why the heck not!?!

I haven't had a litre bike for about 10 years. The last one I had was a 929rr, and I miss the excitement!!

I have since gone through many different machines, looking for something fun that doesn't kill my back. I've had a number of bikes that just didn't do it for me, currently I have a Ducati ST3, great sport tourer, but I want a lithe weapon again that can put the fear of GAWD in me!

All of the usual suspect in the sport touring world are too big. Yes, I know about the Ninja 1000, I'm not feeling it. I crave a real sport bike, lightness is paramount. I need to figure out a way to convert a Japanese sport bike into a comfortable, fun, solo ST machine.

Here are my parameters:

1) Must be above 900cc
    2) Preferably Japanese, I have 2 Ducs now, I'm tired of fixing them...
    3) must be be newer that 10 years old.
    4) Essentially, I need -FAST- NIMBLE - FUN- DEPENDABLE!!
    5) I should probably stay under 8,000$
    6) I really do need to sit up pretty straight. ( Neck and back injuries)

My question for you experts are:

1) What bikes are more comfortable than the others from the factory?
    2) What bar rise solution can put me at a "mostly" upright riding position?
    3) Do you have any specific seating suggestions?

I rarely see anyone turn a sport bike into a machine like I am describing. (possibly for good reason) Please spare me the "you're defeating the purpose" bit. Also, please omit the "just get a VFR!". I have done my research, I know what I want, thanks.:wink:

What say you ?!? Can I do this, or am I fooling myself? Am I doomed to an exsistance of bikes that I "kinda" like?:cry

HELP!!:clap
  2. feline

feline Purrrrrrrrrrs!

Oddometer:
    Have you considered either the 1st or 2nd generation Yamaha FZ1? I have an '06, and you can definitely find them in your price range. It has an upright seating position and all the power you can possibly want. I've gone on long weekend trips with it, and I know how to pack light, and just use a tailpack. I also do long weekends on my Ninja ZX6R and actually prefer it to the FZ1 because I'm actually more comfortable with the Ninja's riding position.
    Carlo Muro and damasovi like this.
  3. Dankarnov

Dankarnov Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cycle-ergo.com is your friend for finding the riding position you want and determining what risers etc you need to tweak it in.

It sounds like what you want is a streetfighter. Not Japanese but I'd recommend the Speed Triple; it has the ergos, it has the power, it has the handling. If you're actually looking to 'tour' the shortened tail is compromised for hauling, but it's doable. The Street Trip is nimbler but <900cc.

E: I see from your profile (and name) that you already have a Speed Triple. So you're all set then! :p

Alternately you can take practically any sportbike and fit dirtbike bars and an aftermarket seat to them. Lowering the rearsets to somewhere more knee-friendly may be a hassle.
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    " I really do need to sit up pretty straight. ( Neck and back injuries)"

I have some of the same issues, and cannot ride any sport bike. Even the Kawasaki EX500 Ninja with bar risers was too painful.

I would suggest a Suzuki Bandit 1200/1250, and see what can be done about raising the bars a bit. Touring accessories are already available for it, and it is as fast as pretty much any sport bike.
    Smaug1 likes this.
  5. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Thanks gentleman for the responses. Let me tell you where I've been. I had a Speed Triple. (check my name) and a VFR. And a DL and SV1000. And a number of Buells. And a few Monsters. And, I've ridden everything else that is a contender...

I need to do this with the sports bike. What one is going to work best for me?
  6. wrecked'em

wrecked'em satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer:
    I had a 929 also. im 6 ft about 190 pounds. I was going to turn it into a sport tourer.. higher bars and lower the pegs. done
  7. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    It would seem that bar risers alone wouldn't get you very close to upright on a true crotch rocket. And if they did, I imagine the wind coming off the screen/fairing would hit you all wrong for touring. You didn't respond to the previous poster who suggested the FZ1, but that you can fit hard bags to that or a 919. Or maybe just get a ninja 1000.

Is your point that none of those standards (i.e. 919) or sports tourers (ninja 1000) are sporty enough?
  8. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

Yes sir, that is my point. I didn't see the FZ1 comment. No offense to FZ1 owners but they are unpleasant to my eyes. Also, regarding wind, I have never really cared about wind blast. I've had a number of naked bikes and wind blast doesn't bother me. Regarding the Ninja 1000, I am just not feeling it too much either...

Hasn't anyone done what I'm talking about?
  9. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not quite understanding. Do you want handling or speed? Sport bikes have both, but for me a completely intolerable riding position. Change that position, and you will lose a great deal of the sport bike handling.

This thread kind of shows what a bandit is capable of: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874525
  10. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    I want both!

And, maybe I'm confused and completely off, but I disagree with the assessment that changing the riding position will mess things up. It would change things a bit, but I don't feel like it would ruin it...

Many here are much more knowledgeable than I. If I'm wrong, please explain...
  11. Honda55

Honda55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would probably go with an r1. For me, the most comfortable. Then put on Heli bars with risers to get rid of the awul clipons, lower pegs, better sear, and a touring screen/laminar lip to keep the wind off your chest and boom youre done! That simple :rofl
    FJ Fun likes this.
  12. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:

I love you man! :D

Do you recommend the Helis, or do you have any experience with other risers? I'm not sure if they will get me upright enough. I suppose I'll go to cycle ergos and see...
  14. stripple

stripple Runnin' Hard

Oddometer:
    Honda55, am I correct in assuming that you've done this to an R1 already? If so, how is the riding position with the Heli's? I am about 5ft 8in, 170 lbs.

Anybody else have suggestions on "comfortable" sports bikes? My favorite bike in that field right now is the current gen CBR1000RR, although I've heard others say that the previous gen RR is more comfy, such a subjective thing really...

I've also heard that the previous gen GSXR 1K is unusually comfortable. Looking for someone's experience on the matter.

I really enjoyed that ride report that was posted about the Bandit, thank you. I have certainly considered it, but I fear that it will just be another in a long list of bikes that I've had that were close, but no cigar. I just crave the small stature, nimbleness and big power of a litre class sports bike.

Somehow there must be a way to enjoy my bike, and not be in physical pain from it...:eek1
  15. gto3

gto3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    -GSXR 600/750/1000 Touring: Technical & Moral Support

^^^check this thread,lots of ideas,right now it's on the second page of this forum

I just put dirt bars on my 09 zx6r and imho the bike is a lot more fun to ride on the street and very comfortable.Dirt bars look a little funky but the feel is second to none imho.Their wider than any clip-on out their,and that's something I like.lsl/spiegler sell full dirtbar conversion kits for a lot of different model bikes.
    If you prefer clip-ons I'd suggest converti-bars.The range of adjustability is unmatched as far as I know by anything else available,
    ^^wtf is going on with my typing,lol,anyways...

Somebody posted the twisted throttle link for lower pegs.I have them on my bike and they are killer...this is an 09 zx6r with dirt bars.i'm 6"2" and sit on it almost totally upright.I'll never go back to clip ons for street riding...

16. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what you want is a late-model Daytona 955i, I'd go with an '05 or '06.

[​IMG]

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...ws/Triumph/Triumph-Daytona-955i-2001-current/

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_0202_triumph_daytona_955i/viewall.html

149 triple-powered ponies make it a totally different beast on the top end compared to the lower-revving mill in a Speedy.

It's a little heavy compared to its litrebike competition at the time, but it makes up for that by being more stable and just plain more comfortable on real roads. Also comes with a decently sized 19L fuel tank, and can be coaxed into getting 50+ MPG.

Not to mention, a good, well loved example can be had cheap as hell.
    davyjones likes this.
  17. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Pretty popular in Europe.

Lots of old experienced motorcyclist are tired of the sport tourers not being light enough, and sportsbikes not being comfy enough.

They want the best components and the best engineering that really only come in the top-of-the-line 1000cc bike, but they don't understand why they have to ride in a fetal position.

They're also pretty pissed with Honda for discontinuing the blackbird aka "the best sport touring motorcycle in history" and replacing it with the VFR1200.

So they make their own - the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 is probably the most popular to convert and the recipe is pretty simple.

Higher flatter bars. Comfier seat. Lower pegs. Slightly higher windscreen. Job done.

Not the best picture but you get the idea:

[​IMG]
    davyjones and FJ Fun like this.
  18. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Now that GSXR is nice! Honestly I would never have thought about getting one of those but that is VERY interesting. Thanks for the info Blue&Yellow!
  19. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Cheers Croak.

Beautiful machine; I just fell in love! :raabia
  20. Honda55

Honda55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My buddy has done if, but sold it since so he could get a little dirty. Personally, I like the heli bars because it feels more like a dirtbike which is more natural to me. I hate clipons. You're pretty short so you could probably get it done with risers but I prefer clipons. It comes down to a matter of opinion ultimately though. But personally I love the look of the r1. And I have had nothing but positives with Yamaha and to me the feel the most comfortable.

Ps, you're a sick man, my fz6 manages to scare me! I can't imagine an r1. I only rode my buddies r1 around his neighborhood so I didn't get the full flavor