Questions about pannier mounting

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Maoule, Jan 13, 2013.

1. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aesthetics aside, the lower and further forward the better for stability but gets in the way of the passenger and even worse is the catching and breaking your leg/foot. The higher and further back the worse stability wise but provides plenty of clearance for your legs to not get caught in them. It's a trade off. I went with narrow boxes rotated slightly and a little higher than most to ensure plenty of clearance. Here is a shot that shows my pannier placement somewhere south of Green river Utah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I have Touratech standard mounting brackets and sometimes I feel that they're tilted too far forward. But if I want to tie another bag across the back they seem just right. It's not like I could do anything about the angle without a bunch of grinding and welding...

[​IMG]
  3. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    That road is beautiful :sweeti
  4. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Highway 49. Over 300 miles from end to end with the majority of it wonderful turns like that. We're spoiled in Northern California with a lot of great twisty roads.
  5. gbx2001

gbx2001 Geophiz Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    Looks sportier with them tilted down in the front. Looks faster.

I like them tilted down a little, all the heavy junk rolls to the front.

Just wear your ball cap on straight.
  7. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I decided to split the difference between the angle of the tail rack and passenger seat. The height of the front of the cases is at the bottom of the seat.[​IMG][​IMG]
    Lid catches made from vinyl coated 1/16" cable from Home Depot, made loops with homemade crimps from 1/4" copper tu
    bing covered with heat shrink. One end is riveted tight, the other a little loose to be able remove and open the lid completely.[​IMG]
    The Happy Trails attaching pucks. I undersized the drill holes in the cases by 1mm to help with water tightness.[​IMG]
    Overall, it was a fairly simple install. The right side rack didn't line up well with the mounting holes and was tweaked out at the bottom; I employed my rubber swing press to fix that. The upper mounting knobs are really big so I'll see if I can make something a little more sleek. I am also going to counter sink some thick washers and use flathead sockets screws to replace the lower puck mounting screws. The overall mounting seems pretty secure, but we'll see what the road has to say:eek1 One last thing...I didn't focus on them, but if you look close, you'll see the fastgun locks I'm using; I had to do a little dremeling to accommodate the diameter of both pieces of the lock.
  8. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Lookin good mate, 990R colours my fave. :clap
  10. Maoule

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much.:shog
    Another issue has presented itself: when I started stacking gear about to see how everything's gonna fit, I noticed the turn signals are liable to get covered easily. Any thoughts on this?
  11. Maoule

Oddometer:
    I was going through the pics again and I'm a little embarrassed about the clutter; my thought is, since she doesn't want to go riding, think I should ask the wifey to clean up the garage a little?:rofl:rofl:lol3:lol3
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    No prob as long as you are going forward, I think you will find you won't have an issue.

... a working man cave don't be embarrassed about that :clap

....let us know visiting hours :evil:rofl
  13. Maoule

Oddometer:
    Nah, she thought it was pretty funny.:clap
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    A 990 Adv with stock signals and pipes will only have the turn signals covered if whatever you're putting on there sags quite a bit, and then you're in danger of touching the exhaust pipes. I tied a duffel bag onto mine with no issues of covering the turn signals, even though the bag was right above them.
  15. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    You should always have a clean garage. You never know when you will be posting a pic of it on ADV. :deal:lol3