Converting 950 SE into a 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Dan950ser, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    The harnesses are fairly different in where the fuse box sits and other factors, like the SM does (at least in the US) not have a tach, couple other things like where the start motor solenoid is located, voltage Reg/Rec as well as the addition of the EFI plug (different than the carb'd bikes) and the O2 sensor plugs.... Oh, and there is a absolute pressure sensor that sits up in the headlight area on the 990ADV, not sure where it would be on the 990SM.

To peal out the harness like PC did, you will also be eliminating the 'nanny' features with all the which would IMO be a very good thing..... but will require doing a bit of reverse engineering to determine what signals the ECM is anticipating from where and 'faking it out' so it does not throw fault codes.
  2. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, this also applies to EU bikes. Most of the electronics, relays, etc, for the ADV takes place behind the headlight, fuse block in the glovebox, while these are under the seat on the SE/SM/(SD?). I belive the ECU is also in a different position, and the Battery is also located in a different place. I can imagagine it can soon become a surrealistic nightmare to get the wiring done right using the ADVs harness on the SE/SM/(SD?) and vica versa - would need lots of wiring/soldering (no-no on a dirt bike)/crimping/etc.. But it sure can be done cheaper than buying the closest-to-the-bikes-model OEM harness.

If the SD's harness is anything close to the SE harness, than it might be worth checking out ebay, as I've did a search on it and there are some offers going on there.
  3. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The SMR harness was plug and play, and the Super Duke ECU snapped right in. Drama free. Revs over 10k and no immobilizer BS
  4. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    After a phone convo with Dan last night, based upon my suggestion to him considering his requirement to have a running 990EFI SE by April, he is going to get a 07 SD harness that is up for sale and we will then plug in the 07 SD ECU I have that will run a custom tune.
  5. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would a configuration like this be equal to or better than an FCR? If so, would it be possible (thinking about avg second hand prices) for the 950EFI conversion (everything but labour included) to be cheaper than buying a new FCR kit ($1200-1300) ?
  6. Head2Wind

Oddometer:
    The comparison of cost between the two will be based upon what it would cost you in your location.... which may be different considering you are in Hungary (?). It has been my experience in general that if you are patient and wait for the right deals for the parts that it would be possible to buy all parts necessary to convert a 950 to EFI for less than or equal to the cost of a new FCR kit, in the USA.... This may be different for other locations in the world.
  7. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Yes, that's what I was thinking about..
  8. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Well getting really excited about this project now. Have had a couple conversations with Ken about the best direction to go. Ended up scoring a SD harness for a really good deal last night and engine is supposed to be arriving at my local shop today or tomorrow. Going to have and go rip the carb'd 950 one more time and then it's time for disassembly. Like to thank everyone for the help and ideas so far. More to come soon.
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some day, it will be my turn. In the meantime I am just absorbing information.
    Speaking of which, I wonder how many sensors one can part with, assuming he/she runs the engine with pcv and autotune at all times. I believe ambient temperature and pressure sensors are two of them?
  10. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish you blokes would stop finding more ways for me to spend money on my bike.
    Wildmikey68 likes this.
  11. Head2Wind

Oddometer:

:D:D:D :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
  12. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    It's a sickness for sure. If you get a wife and kid it slows down the progression a little. :rofl
  13. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

I've done just about all I want to do to my SER. So I bought a 2014 1190R, and after three weeks I still have yet to even sit on it... even my dog is confused!

[​IMG]
  14. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:

I bet it will look at some point conspicuously like an 1190SER
  15. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets put some things into perspective.
    What model combinations of harness, throttle bodies and ECUs may one use to inject a 950?
  16. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm really fighting the temptation. It's not easy... I have 2 complete sets of RC8R fuel injection systems on the shelf... :lol3

Mousitsas, I think you're best to buy everything at once from a single bike, as opposed to trying to piece a system together. I think an SM990 or SD990 is the best starting point. I started with a 2010 SDR...

17. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is indeed, SDs are much easier to find too. :clap
  18. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what are the options for external FI fuel pumps?
    It seems that the OEM pump has a reputation for failure and it also necessitates a different fuel tank on a 950.
  19. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ones I'm awrare of are the walbro and I think the weak link on the efi bikes is not the stock pump but the stock filters.
    It goes more or less like this, or at least this is how I understand it. You need a filter before the pump and one after, to be sure to be sure. The filters before the pump are teabag style and they are prone to collapse reducing the flow within the pump leading to overheating and destroying it.
  20. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would it be possible to fit a 990 pump in a 950 tank (by cutting the tank?)