DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Richklr650

Richklr650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you guys wont believe this pulled the clutch cover off because its hard to find neutral and was popping out of 3rd gear shift drum bolt is mia found it down in the bottom of the motor how lucky is that woo hoo '
    any how my question is is there a washer that goes with it i put it back in but the drum has a little in and out play is this normal thanks Rich
  2. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    No washer on parts diagram http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeI...el/DR350SE/GroupID/254628/Group/GEAR_SHIFTING
    Don't remember one when I did mine.
  3. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks from me as well Greg - you are a great source of information both web based and in answering questions!
  4. daverbmxer

daverbmxer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not really on topic here.. but if that is your bike, how do you like the mirror? An old guy runs a bike shop in town and has one of those mirrors. Today I had him order me the 2nd one.. haven't yet payed for either. Do they stay in place in a headwind? Viewing angle sufficient? Are they wide enough to see around shoulders with a jacket on? Thanks.
  5. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have these mirrors, as well as a few other members. i have no problem with mine. infact i really like em. Can fold em down, wind dont mess with em to much unless ya dont set the "ball/socket" tight enough. Field of view is pretty decent too. SOMETIMES, a big coat will get in way of LH mirror's view though, dpends how ya mount it.
  6. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    I hope you're right because I'm going to bend it back relatively flat when I tear into the carb again this weekend. I had it bent at a crazy angle and it really didn't affect the fuel level much, it always wants to be at a level just a little under the bottom of the fuel inlet.

From looking at the float design of that carb and tinkering with it a bunch there doesn't seem to be much adjustment built into the system. You can bend that tab as much as you want (I did!) and it just isn't going to close off the fuel much sooner.

Unless of course I'm missing something which is entirely possible.
  7. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same issue. No washer on the bolt and it should have a little play. I somehow managed to bend the little L shaped bracket while reinstalling the shift drum bolt. No idea how I did it but be very careful with it.
  8. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    Typically the float needle sits just at the base of the metal tab, so usually bending it does nothing.
  9. OldUKBikerGuy

OldUKBikerGuy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've got a pair of exactly the same mirrors on my bike and find them perfect for street riding - even over here, on the 'proper' side of the road! :d

I've got mine set wider and lower, resting on the brush-guards, which makes them more stable and gives an ever better field of view, especially with a pillion rider.
  10. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is my DR350.

The Ken Sean dual sport mirrors are the best I ever found - until my friend (Mike Sonzini) showed me the Doubletake mirrors he was using on his bikes. I think the Doubletake is superior because it stays in place better and is *much* easier to adjust. Last year I replaced the mirror in the photo with the Doubletake mirror, and I really like it. I'm going to fit another one to my right side soon.

The Doubletake mirror and requisite mounts are certainly more expensive than the Ken Sean mirror, no doubt about that.

Here is a link to the Doubletake website:
    http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Or, if you want to buy them from my friend for the same price, just send him a PM via ADVRider (username: quota).

You can also purchase the correct ball mount and 3" arm through some place like GPS City:
    https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-m10-x-1.25-pitch-male-thread-on-1-inch-ball.html
    https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-medium-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u.html

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  11. MattR302

MattR302 Awesomeness, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Newbie to tube-style tires here...

Putting a set of street tires on a spare set of rims for my bike - are heavy-duty tubes better for street tires, or are do they only really make a difference for off-road riding with low tire pressures?

Thanks.
  12. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big +1 on the Doubletake mirror! I went through two other types before popping for these. I can now actually see behind me (I couldn't get Ken Sean's out far enough to get a clear view).

I tested these on my first trail ride when I forgot to fold them in. I wapped a tree limb and they just moved out of the way. I was able to fold them out of the way and then back up when I got back on the road. They're pricey but well worth it IMHO. I too plan on getting another one for the right side.
  13. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I tried them for off road and didn't like them. Wound up throwing them away. Way too heavy, and wouldn't take a patch. I use standard tubes and toss em if they are old or have to many holes/patches. I use this stop leak stuff in the DR and Transalp... http://powersportstireseal.com/
  14. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    That has been my experience exactly.
  15. boardforever

boardforever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put one of these on my DR, got it from procycle.us

[​IMG]

Similar to KTM folding mirror, seems good so far.
  16. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    The float height should be adjusted whenever the float needle is replaced. Additionally, float height is a tuning parameter on CV carbs, having a very similar effect to changing emulsion tube size. It can therefore be used to counter the effects of emulsion tube wear (to an extent).

Regards,

Derek
  17. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    ±2mm is about the limit, however ±2mm makes a noticeable difference in CO% on the dyno.

Regards,

Derek
  18. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +2 on the Doubletake mirrors. Great design and worth the money.
  19. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those Mirrors look really cool but WOW 50 bucks is a lot for a mirror.
  20. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    The initial hit is steep but the RAM parts are pretty much indestructible and the mirror arm has a lifetime guarantee so the only part you would have to buy is the mirror itself. Add in the convenience of adjustment without tools and, in my case, the better rear visibility and its a lot easier to justify the cost.

I initially used a $5 junk yard mirror to be legal but couldn't see anything but my arm. I then tried a Ken Sean and it was better but I was still seeing mostly an arm. Installed the Doubletake and all is good now.