Grip Heater

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Cattledog1969, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to install grip heaters on my 07 KTM EXC 525. I've found several brands online, does anyone have any experience installing or using these things??? Ya know, like, where do I get the voltage from? Should I use a fuse?? Where do you mount the switch?? What brand?? I've read the instructions on EE heaters and watched a video about another brand, but just curious about what others have done.
  2. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Recently installed Hot Grip brand Hot Grips. Nice but kinda big. Also have Oxford Sport grips, nicer grip but controller sux. Best solution IMHO is the Oxfords with a Heat Troller controller http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/ELGPHG/GPOX696Z.html

I ran a fused lead off my battery (Yes you should use a fuse). Switch mount location varies by bike, it can either be a little toggle or small dial depending on your controller/set-up. Have heard that with Alum bars the ones that go under the grip don't work well as the bars make a great heat sync, which is why I went with grips. YMMV.
  3. Joe3

Joe3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heated grips are great. I've had mine long enough that I don't recall what specific brand they are.

For my electrical farkles (GPS, grips, and 12V plug) I used a little fuse block I bought at Auto Zone that holds about 6 fuses and wired it to the battery. Each accessory has its own fuse. I also put a relay in the system so that the accessory fuse block only gets power when the motorcycle is keyed on. That prevents the accessories from draining the battery and leaving stranded when parked.
  4. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
  5. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of folks, including myself, like the Dualstar or Kimpex grip heating pads, as you can use whatever grips you like over the top. I did try the $6 Chinese ones off ebay, but I found that they put out very little heat. Maybe I got a bad set, but I doubt it as they work, just not much heat.

Whether using complete grips or pads, orient the throttle side so there is slack and as little as possible tension on the wires when you twist the throttle. Those wires breaking are probably the most common failure point.

If using heated pads, wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the clutch side of the handlebar, as you lose heat to the bar otherwise. Aluminum bars are the worst for that. Some grip pads try to compensate for this with larger / more elements on the clutch side, but a few turns of tape (or shrink tube, or whatever floats your boat) are cheap insurance. The throttle tube already acts as an insulator on the right side. Some folks use grip glue for attaching the grips over the pads, some don't. I don't and never have had a problem w/ loose grips.

Fuse....yes

Power......a switched power circuit (controlled by the ignition key) is best. Some folks get fancy and use separate relays, but I've never felt the need. You can wire directly to the battery, but if you forget to turn off the heater switch you'll have a dead battery. BTDT.

Switch location......I usually make a little bracket and locate it somewhere on the handlebar clutch side. Somewhat depends on the bike and the switch where it ends up. If you use a heat troller or thermostat, it can get a little more complicated but the same principles apply. Depending on the brand, they may supply some bracketry.

That's about all that comes to mind now, I'm sure others will chime in.
  6. RedGrover

RedGrover Sitka Red Rider

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain ATV has the Tusk heated grips on sale for ten bucks right now...I just bought a pair last night.
  7. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used these and they work extremely well, specially for the price, I have bought 2 sets years ago and they have gone up in price but still a bargain and easy installation.

By my experience these are the ones to get.:clap

Heated Grips #1400

http://www.aerostich.com/heated-grip-kit.html

Enjoy the ride.
  8. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Oxfords all the way. Twisted Throttle sells them for $79.99.
  9. vtduc

vtduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those tusk grips at Rocky Mtn are a smokin deal, especially considering Aerostitch is selling the identical item for $32 :deal Too bad they are the "old tech" that use that hot resistor you have to strap somewhere in addition to the rest of the install.
  10. Splatman

Splatman ADVrider wannabe

Oddometer:
    For the clutch side I used a "Lock-On Grip System by ODI Grips".. Once you remove the grip (a pain cause it's bonded on really well)
    it's just like a throttle tube.. You then install the grip heater & grip to this pseudo throttle tube and install this unit to your bike with
    Aluminum Lock Jaw Clamps.. :thumb

Lock-On Grip System by ODI Grips: New ~ $30.00.. Available at bicycle stores.. Or.. Since you do not need the grips buy used from
    Ebay for ~ $10.00.. Bought the 130mm length (115mm grip plus 2 clamps = 130mm).. One set will do two motorcycles.. Make sure
    the set includes the Aluminum Lock Jaw Clamps..

Grip Heaters: I use Symtec Brand.. Complete kit (one clutch, one throttle, switch and misc) available from California Sport Touring..
    If done this way the clutch side can get too hot so I prefer to use "both sides throttle" and buy replacement heaters from Symtec..

Grips: I use Scott Hurricane.. To do this properly you will need two throttle side grips (I use the other two on my mountain bike)..

Grip Glue: Install my grips with Three Bond Griplock.. And then lightly safety wired.. Doing it this way since 2008 never a problem..

[​IMG]

Since "Symtec heated grips" only draw 36 watts (3 amps) I do not bother wiring in a relay.. To prevent draining the battery just wire
    them after the switch (brown wire on my bike).. When the switch is off the grips are off.. But I prefer my GPS to be wired to 12V all
    the time.. So I wire my GPS before the switch (the red wire on my bike).. This way you don't get the "gps will turn off in 30 seconds"
    message and the gps can be re-charged with the switch off (don't leave gps connected for long periods)..

[​IMG]

Also as a precaution my switch is more visible & have a "reminder label" on my mirrors..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    maps likes this.
  11. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    On the 525 you connect to the yellow wire under the tank, right where the 1/4" spade is that connects the harness to the wires to the stator.
    Use a screw on the coil for ground.

This will only be live when the bike is running, you cant accidentally flatten the battery.

I have fitted lots to KTMs. Put shrink wrap tube on the clutch side of the bar to help both grips heat up the same.

I use Enduro Engineering heaters and my normal Progrips on top.
  12. sierraoffroad

sierraoffroad Long timer

Oddometer:
    you guys have a link for those 9.99 heated grips?? all i see are a set for 19.99
  13. fruly

fruly n00b

Oddometer:
    They bumped the price up. Looks like sale ended today, I ordered them for $9.99 yesterday.
  14. Farkler

Farkler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the local motorcycle store, I bought a pair of Firstgear grip heaters as well as a turn dial for adjustable temperature. After 2 weeks of 30 degree riding, they have been amazing. As a few have mentioned, they're not hard to install. I think mine took 30 minutes to completely install.

When wiring, I ran my power all the way back to my battery, but threw a relay in that connects to my headlight wire so that when the bike turns off, the grips turn off. That way I don't kill the battery! A relay at your local auto store will cost you $5 I bet.

Put the relay inline with your hot wire, add your switch and make sure your ground is solid and you're good to go!

I cannot guarantee this works with all grips, but I wired both my high and low wires together so that both are always on. With my adjustable turn dial, i am able to still adjust temperature, but when on high, it is essentially providing full power to both the high and low, resulting in much warmer grips... Definitely worth the little extra work IMHO. Let me know if you want any more information.

-Farkler
  15. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I have used a set of these with over 140K miles on them, I like the fact you dont use a resistor with them and they have two coils built in, one low and one high.

They have been bomb proof and I ride year round with them. Installed them on my other bikes as well with the same results. They just plain work damn good.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm
  16. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    I made my own with bare nichrome wire and heat shrink then grip puppy's as covers. The shorter the wire the hotter. I have done 20 bikes for friends and all still working great. I started making them 12 yr ago, they draw 3 amp between the pair.
  17. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:

OK this is interesting, can you post a picture of this, or more details. I really dunno how these things work other than through resistance and magic which keeps my hands warm.

:lol3
    :ear