dead zumo 550

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fat pat, Mar 27, 2008.

1. fat pat

fat pat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my zumo died today. everything was fine, i pulled in to get gas, started my bike and dead screen on the zumo.

i tried holding the power and ''+'' buttons simultaneously, but no joy.

any suggestions?

thanks,
    pat
  2. halfcent

halfcent Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remove the battery then re-insert, it should be good to go.
  3. fat pat

fat pat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    halfcent-
    many thanks.
    pat
  4. halfcent

halfcent Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pat - something I found with mine, if I stop my bike I have it wired so that the Zumo stays on, if I turn it off it will quite often go into the dead mode. What I do now is, if it is a short stop, I will leave it on, if I am leaving the bike I remove the Zumo while it is on. It will ask if you want to go to battery power, I click yes and once it is on the battery I can turn it off with no problems. It sounds like a pain in the a** but it really isn't. give it a try and good luck they are a great unit.
  5. D-man

D-man SALLGOOD

Oddometer:
    it draws very little current, llike 500 mils, and when you shut it off and back on again it starts a new track log of your trip then you have to connnect them all together later. I find it better to leve it on the whole day.

dman
  6. fat pat

fat pat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great feedback. it's up and running; i'll try the new suggestions.
    best regards,
    pat
  7. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pat,
    Sorry to read your post for 2 reasons--one, that you have one of the defective Zumos and two, that my tentative sense of relief at having fixed that problam in mine is misplaced. You can read my story in the linked thread
    http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236510.
    There is one outside chance that the fix is available and it may be clarified by your response to this post. I very recently hooked my Zumo up to the Garmin web site and downloaded all the upgrades and when the dreaded blackout occurred (for the 3rd time in 14,000 miles of use) I pushed the "+" and start button simultaneously and presto it came to life. How old is your unit and have you recently upgraded the software?
    I am hoping your unit just needs a software upgrade and that the fix is in; otherwise, I'll keep the proper allen wrench in my tank bag for that ever so rare, but ever so aggrevating "Zumo blackout".
  8. colin

colin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my zumo went dead today and went to a dealer who said..."yep, its dead, send it to raytech and they will sell you a refurb for $195 with my old as a trade"...anyhow, i didnt like the idea, did the search...i found this very helpful hint
    Remove the battery then re-insert, it should be good to go

and it worked like a charm...thanks halfcent, you just saved me $195:clap
  9. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    I have a similar problem with my Zumo 400 - see " Zumo 400 connection problem " so given that I never had a problem before wiring it into the plug under the beak of the GS this morning I have changed it back to being wired directly to the battery and I will see if the problem persists - if it still gives trouble then I will send it back to the agents as it is still under warranty.:1drink
  10. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grumpy,
    It make take some time before you know. My 550 has failed only 3 times in 35,000 miles of riding. Twice requiring the battery removal and one starting after pressing the "+" and start buttoms simultaneously.
  11. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    Hi Petdoc - should not take too long to figure out as when wired to the harness / switched it would die within a week neccesitating taking it off remove & replace battery or connect to computer etc - will keep you guys posted.
  12. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had this same problem with my Zumo this week. Used it two saturdays ago and put it away aftewards. Tried to fire it up yesterday and nothing happened. Thanks to this forum, I pulled out the battery and then after putting it back...viola, it works again. Thanks for the help Halfcent, saved me a big headache dealing with Garmin.:freaky
  13. Daithi

Daithi Destination Unknown.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Halfcent, made my day.:lol3
  14. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have nothing but good experiences with Garmin customer service.. I purchased a 450 Zumo in 07 and started having problems with it with in a year. They sent me a replacement unit which acted up right out of the box so they sent me another. It worked until last year then went dead. Nothing worked to bring it back to life. I sent them an email explaining that I am a long time customer, and related all the models I have owned and those that I currently own, and that the 450 was the only one that has given me grief. I felt this model was a evidently prone to problems and for the cost of this unit it should be dependable. They sent me a new 550 complete kit with all the mounting, accessories etc free of charge.. Granted I have owned/own a number of their products which I keep registered and up to date through MyGarmin, so they can see my history which may have helped. As well, earlier this year when looking at purchasing a new offroad GPS that worked well for Topos and Street (Montana or Oregon) I called just to have some specs and Mapsource compatibility questions clarified and the gal was cheerful and very helpful. Hopefully (knock on wood) my experience with them never turns into a "headache"..
  15. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:

Great re-awakening of a two+ year old thread, still helping adv'ers
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'll be a black day when my Zumo 550 finally dies. Its been a really good unit for my needs and I am very comfortable with it. I just wish Garmin would quit re-inventing a wheel that works well. I just went to look at units for my wife's car and just walked out shaking my head. Too many with pretty much the same features or features I don't want or need.
  17. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghettoburbia, N.J., U.S.A., near Philadelphia
    I bought my 450 Zumo new in 2007, it has been as dependable as I could ask it to be, for thousands of miles riding in all weather.

Today it was fine in the morning going to work, when I came out it was DOA. I did the Start/+ thing, nope, took battery out, nope, plugged in the USB when I got home, nope, battery out again, nope, nothing.

It is years out of warranty, any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
  18. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ghettoburbia, N.J., U.S.A., near Philadelphia
    Garmin responded by telling me, can you guess ? what I already knew: your unit is no longer functional, we don't repair them, sorry for the inconvenience, go fuck yourself.:boid

Spend several hundred on a product, go ahead, just don't expect it to last as long as you would think, and don't be surprised if it croaks without warning.

Have a nice day.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    My first 550 died after about 5 or 6 years of service, I got the $160 refurb replacement unit not long before they stopped offering them. Don't know what I'll go to when this one dies. Not really liking the new ZUMO's and I have a Montana but it makes for a shitty routing GPS because it's got a useless 50 waypoint limit.
  20. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just sent my 550 in for a refurb replacement, they wanted $150.

I said thank you, and is there anything that can be done about the price?

They said sure, we can make it $100 + $8 for shipping.

Done.