Mid-Michigan and the Thumb area chatter thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by the_sandman_454, May 12, 2013.

1. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That front looks like the Pirelli scorpion pro fim. I am pretty sure the back is a D606. I know the KLX250 keeps up fairly well with a DRZ-S because the KLX has a 6 speed. You could also look for a WR250-R.
  2. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I like it a lot. It'll do 60 fine. Mpg is between 50-60 for me depending how you ride. I've upgraded the springs to match my weight and lowered it slightly to match my short legs. It works pretty well offroad, but if I already had a KLR, I probably wouldn't get a klx250s, I'd be looking more for a lighter offroad only bike like an XR250.
  3. jbmac

jbmac Mitten Man

Oddometer:
    After years of begging, my wife finally made a deal to go on one ride with me. So yesterday that day had come and she came with me as we moved the tag and grabbed some lunch. This is the pre-ride photo where she was still smiling and before she initiated her first death grip.

[​IMG]

She is still in denial about how much she enjoyed it. Another couple years and she might have her own bike :) I mean I only scared her a couple times.....
  4. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, if you want, you can take my KLX for a test ride. I wouldn't mind trying our your KLR. ;) How about a meet n' greet sometime soon? Justin?
  5. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent display of persistence. Hopefully she decides it is something she can get used to or even enjoy. Do you have a communications system? She might enjoy it more if she had an effective way to yell at you.

Thanks for that Mike. Sounds like time for me to start checking some of the bike threads in the thumper forum more closely, and perhaps go sit on a few different ones to see what I'll fit on and be happy with.

I'm not sure how long I'll have the KLR. I like its' brutally simple technology, reasonable maintenance intervals, and decent gas mileage (except trying to go 80+ on the slab). It tends to want to burn oil when ran at sustained high RPM and lacks a 6th gear which I've found to be extremely frustrating though when trying to burn some miles on the slab.

I could fix the oil burning with one of the forged pistons various folks are offering, but I really don't feel like spending money on it other than normal maintenance stuff since I'm not sure I'll be keeping it long term. Besides, it hardly burns any if kept under about 5000rpm and I usually don't go over that. I have 14,300 miles on it so far.

I've already gone to a 16 tooth front sprocket (stock is a 15) which helped a bit, and am tempted to go to a 17t when I replace the chain soon. The 17 tooth front sprocket will probably make it essentially street only due to being geared so high, but it would be nice to turn a few less rpm at highway speed.

I don't know what will ultimately replace the KLR, but I'm thinking it'll definitely have a 6th gear and likely some more power for higher speed bursts on the slab when I really want to burn up some miles. The F800GS has caught my eye, as well as a few of the other adv type bikes. The Strom looks interesting, I used to have an SV650 and really liked that engine. In addition to the KLR or whatever replaces it down the road, I do think I would enjoy also having a smaller more nimble off road biased bike.

That sounds like a plan. When sounds good for y'all? For me this weekend Saturday is booked up already for me but so far Sunday is wide open. I'll be busy the weekend after this one.
  6. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    this weekend =very bad, cousin's wedding, fathers day, grandma's funeral. :(

If you go with a different more street worthy bike, then I would say a KLX would make sense. I think it compliments my FZ6 just perfectly.
  7. the_sandman_454

Oddometer:
    We'll find some other time. Condolances for grandma. :(
  8. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Man.

Anybody up for a Rudy J's in Bay City breakfast meetup on a Saturday or Sunday morning?

Mike
  9. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    Probably available, but won't the Meat and Greet thread feel left out?:D

10. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

Yes, rear is a D-606. The front is the Pirelli Pro Scorpion FIM all terrain enduro on that 250. They are both DOT legal.They work really well in a variety of terrain:clap.They also last really well.......
  11. the_sandman_454

Oddometer:
    Did anybody manage to do the meet n greet thing? I'm working this weekend but am expecting to be off next weekend unless otherwise noted.

I'm up to about 3200 miles ridden this year, but primarily resulting from commuting unfortunately. Since late April, I've put just under 200mi on the cage. The KLR is within about 2 round trip commutes of turning 15,000mi old. I don't think I'll throw it a party but will probably pull the valve cover and recheck the valve clearances and drill/tap some of the rear suspension components to add grease fittings. That seems much more convenient than tearing the rear suspension apart to lube it.

It is almost time for a new rear tire. The bike has a Kenda 761 on the rear now with about 8800 miles on it and it still looks like it has another 1500 miles or so left before it needs replacement. I'm not sure if I want to go back to more of a 50/50 tire or throw another street oriented tire on there since I haven't had the time to do much off roading with it anyway. I was thinking if I had a more street oriented tire I might see better MPG for the commute, but didn't really see a big difference. The front has a new-ish K761.

There are some tempting photo tags floating around, but I'm just lacking for time.
  12. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Summer weddings are the bane of my existance.
  13. the_sandman_454

Oddometer:
    Exactly, don't they realize it cuts in to prime riding time? I mean they've waited this long, why not wait til winter when most people prefer to be indoors anyway?
  14. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just do what I do... Don't go to the wedding. :rofl
  15. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a set of bent handlebars laying around with a clamp on crossbar that I can get? My new renthal road bars are visibly flexible and I'd like to stiffen them up.
  16. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    doh!
  17. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:

I have a couple pair in the barn I haven't had to move around yet :rofl. I'll look and see if the cross bars are removable . My son was hard on handle bars ... Liked Renthal too...
  18. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated :)
  19. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
    send me a pm in a few days if no crossbars, I got a few.
  20. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesir ! I have two with removable crossbars.
    We can get together for a hand off when you have time .
    I will be in Sebewing for a race ........

Pm me and we can do this I can take them of the bars and ride I actually need a ride ! lol