Is Your Bike A "Keeper"

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Nemosengineer, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Nemosengineer

Nemosengineer Hair Ball

Oddometer:
    Is your bike a "keeper", I don't know if my current new bike is, but I own a 1960 XLCH Sportster that is a keeper. By current standards its nothing special, but it speaks to me on some level... sort of a mechanical soul mate.
    Do you own a keeper, tell me about it.:lurk

: Mike:1drink
  2. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    Triumph Speed Triple=keeper
    JoeyHonz likes this.
  3. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

never going to get rid of this bike. If I crash it or it gets stolen then I'm going to just buy another one. The bike is everything I thought a motorcycle should be.
    JoeyHonz likes this.
  4. Threewheelbonnie

Threewheelbonnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    2004 Triumph Bonneville 790. Had it since new and there is no way I'd sell. Simple, cheap to run, easy to maintain and reliable. Now set up in a way I'd previously considered only possible with an airhead BM, only without being 20 years old and having driveline issues.

1993 MZ301 Saxon Tour. Basically worthless but about the most fun you can have on two wheels. My first proper bike, although performance now suffers as it's fifteen years old and I'm 15 kg heavier!

I'd like another solo bike and you know what, I'd be a Bonneville, probably the Scrambler.

With previous bikes I always found some limitation, usually related to the basic design I coudn't get round. My F650's were brilliant but I can't live with that waterpump. My R1100R's were pointlessly inefficient when riden at legal speeds and electrically unreliable at the sort of age they should be fine. My Yam XT was great, but was heading towards being nothing but a rust coloured streak on the garage. My Enfield was nice but I could get my head round riding at 55 mph with a 40 tonne truck three inches behind me. The less said about the Ural the better.

I'm often tempted by the likes of the newer Urals and Enfield EFI, but while the heart say's they'll be fun, the head says another Bonneville is very safe territory.

Andy
    Alexander B likes this.
  5. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    2004 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Replika = keeper!!

[​IMG]
    vintagespeed likes this.
  6. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

Although I would really like a Sprint for longer trips it would be really hard to say good bye to my triple.
  7. zopilote

zopilote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha MT-01 -06: Definately a keeper :D
    After 23 years on two wheels and trying all different kinds of motorcycles, it feels like i have finally found what i want from a bike.
    (Wouldn't mind a small 250-350cc dual sport in the garage also though...)
  8. Buckeye71

Buckeye71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I plan on keeping my 07' Bonneville Black until the day I die. When and if I ever get to the point where I'm too old to hold it up anymore, god forbid, I'll throw a hack on it.
  9. Gernick

Gernick Long timer

Oddometer:
    This first one on the list is a keeper.

Second one. I haven't been fidling with it like I should so it has to go to someone that'll show it some love.

Third.......maybe. It is a neat machine.
  10. rrmdeuce

rrmdeuce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have three bikes, A Harley Davidson Deuce, a BMW R1200GS and a 97 Honda Valkyrie Tourer. All great bikes but the Valk will always be the the one that makes me smile when I twist the throttle.:rofl :rofl :rofl
  11. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Your bike is like the third year production of one of the iconic bikes ever. Yes it's a keeper.

12. CNS-IT

CNS-IT Let Go Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have four bikes that my wife and I both ride. 2 1994 Ducati M900's and 2 Cagiva Gran Canyons (1999 and 2000). We have always discussed that the two of the bikes are keepers and the other two we may sell of just keep for parts.

These are the keepers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    When I got back from a m/c trip around the world (on a BMW R60/5), I bought a 750 Ducati GT (fell in love with one in Perth, Australia) and I still have it. So, I'm keeping it. I'm also keeping my current bike K1200R.
  14. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    alansean, you need to right-click on the pic itself, pick properties, and copy/paste THAT URL, not the one in the address bar. Cool bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
    '67 Honda CB77
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
    '00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
    '00 XR650R
  16. kbasa

kbasa big big energy

Oddometer:
    Current stable are all keepers.

94 R11RS
    98 VFR
    2005 R12GS
    2005 R12RT
    1984 R100CS Last Edition
    1967 R60/2

When I get done restoring my 82 CB750F, it'll be a keeper, too. I've already owned it for 25 years.
  17. Tigrou

Tigrou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ducati 1000 SS "senna" is a keeper :raabia
  18. twiisted71

twiisted71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have yet to find "my" bike. However my present bike '98 Valkyrie is fun to suprise people with. The acceleration this thing has is addictive, I haven't shown my wife what it will do yet for fear of her wanting me to get rid of it. She actually seems more drawn to keeping this one than I am. My 750 Aero was a great machine but too small physically for me to keep. The 1100 V-twin Sabre was a total pig to me. She was pretty but I was not sad to see her go at all. Not quite sure what will be next I love the looks of the big GSs but for where I live I'll probably try a HD next even though I know it won't have the grin factor of the Valk. I do try to give them all opportunity to make me wanna keep them as I put around 10-15K before deciding.
  19. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Yep, an '81 BMW R100RT in Smoke Green. Only year for that color.
    I take the ST1300 for long rides, but the RT is great for day rides around here.
    And, you don't see another on the road!
  20. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    +100 on the S3. It's awesome.
    [​IMG]