Coil Sticks no more!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by HackyMoto, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jammess

Jammess Native Oregonian

Oddometer:
    Hi HM, the bike was running great. I have been thinking about replacing the BMW stick coils ever sense my coils failed a couple years ago and I found out what new BMW coils cost. Then I saw your (this) thread and finally decided to give it a try. I didn't get the results you have not even close. The Accel coils produced a spark but apparently not of sufficient strength to work under compression. Why I don't know. I was using the Accel Super Coil #140032. Plug leads were the ones that fit a non stick coil R1100RS. My bike is an '04RT.
  2. Sporttour

Sporttour Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hacky, sorry for the hijack.... I will post this and I'll be gone:wink:

The stick coils I got came from a K1200GT. As you can see the body of the coils are the same length. I peeled off the rubber boots to expose the brass contact pole extensions, the extensions are secured to the body by a snap ring... If you follow this route what you need to do next is going to be evident.

[​IMG]

This is how it looks once you are done...

[​IMG]

More Pictures:

Straight spark plug boot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coil placement: high, dry, and COOLER

[​IMG]

Left coil with the Tupperware on

[​IMG]
  3. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Hey Hacky, what are ya doin' man? Get out there and keep ridin'....we're countin' on you.....we'll get this COP Ford thing worked out.

I'm still tryin' to figure out how to vote multiple times...

Now fire up the GS and stay safe....
  4. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    "The coils I am using are Accel coils I bought on Amazon"... sooooooo.... those are coils Accel built to replace Ford coils????

if connected correctly, then maybe it isn't the coils that are bad.

I will contend that ANY 12V ignition coil will work as long as the primary resistance is as high or higher than the original stick's primary.
  5. Jammess

Jammess Native Oregonian

Oddometer:
    After my little experiment with coil replacement using the Accel Super Coil I would have to say that until I see with my own eyes a successful stick coil replacement then I'm going to stick (no pun intended) with what works. Connecting up a replacement for the stick coils isn't rocket science, just two wires for the primary and one HV lead to the plug. In my case I had spark as observed with the plugs removed and grounded and the engine turned over on the starter motor but put the plugs in the head and nada. That tells me the coils don't have the proper electrical characteristics to match the performance of the original BMW coils. End of my experiment before I end up shopping for a new Motronic, god forbid.
  6. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    TEAM USA. Thanks for the support :thumb

[​IMG]
  7. pcwirepro

pcwirepro Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If so then you're the man.

8. picinisco

picinisco Scottish Transplant

Oddometer:
    Summit racing sell this connector that fits the Ford coil perfectly. $3.95 each. They sell them on eBay.

My question is what wire goes where on the bike.

[​IMG]
  9. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    My opinion? This mod will likely keep your OE BMW stick coils operating for a very long time inasmuch as the coils are now operating in the breeze where its cool and comfortable rather than burried down in the OHV cover where the temperatures change from cool to very hot and cool again.
  10. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The mounting spot you've chosen is prime real estate. I had a hard time coming up with secure locations in the vicinity of the engine but not interfering with cables or hoses. Guess I won't be moving my stick coils.

[​IMG]
  11. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to do a highjack

I'm going to give this a try on my 1150 GSA using the existing stick coils. But was wondering about the ground wire on the BMW coil wire, that is fastened to the back of the cylinder head.
    Is this the same on the 1200GS (searched Maxbmw micro fiche no luck) & if so did you reattach it to another point higher up in the frame?

I will have to do some real hard looking for a mount location as the 1150GSA doesn't have any Tupperware in your location...but that will have to wait till it warms up here in the North.....Thanks
  12. Sporttour

Oddometer:
    Yep, relocate the ground wherever is convinient and you are good to go.
    I'm happy to report that after the mod I've gone thru 2 sets of tires without a single hiccup from the engine :clap
  13. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, i was thinking that was what I was going to do. Found some HT leads & they fit into the 1150 Stick Coils. I've just got to get a warmer day to install & test the setup.
  14. GroceryRun

GroceryRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would anyone know if the high tension/spark plug wire from a single spark R1100/R1150 (which includes that fancy boot),
    fits the primary spark plug tunnel of the dual spark R1100/R1150 ?

If you have a dual spark cylinder ,and you're doing this modification, it might be more secure than just a regular high tension spark plug boot; that's provided it's the same diameter valve cover and length to reach the spark plug.
  15. Sporttour

Oddometer:
    Yep, they will fit right into the tunnel, although I'm not sure that the cables are long enough.

You can go with original parts or an aftermarket set like:

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Ignition-Wire-Set-BMW-R-Oilhead-BMW-WSR641-p/bmw-wsr641.htm

http://www.beruparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=26
  16. Ravenslair

Ravenslair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. BluByU

BluByU Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the part number of this connector??
  18. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:

From the Summit website. It's a Pico brand connector. Summit Pt# PCO-5713PT.

19. BluByU

BluByU Long timer

Oddometer:
    did the mod yesterday, bike runs fantastic :clap
  20. reyb

reyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody else do this mod with the Accel 140032 Super coil? I was targeting this coil over the SMP FD508(?) because the Accel has a better turn ratio which my understanding equates to higher voltage. Can there be too much voltage to a spark plug? Other questions I have are:

1. Are the terminals on the donor coil label as to which is positive/negative?

2. I can probably test which is positive/negative on the OEM connector to the stick coil, but does anyone know off-hand what color wire is positive/negative?

Thanks,

Rey