Pics of Woody's NEW ,TRICK,Superlite hubs R1200GS/GSA/HP-2

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Nov 28, 2007.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> In the beginning:
    [​IMG]

then...
    [​IMG]

then...

[​IMG]

then...
    [​IMG]

then...

[​IMG]

then drill the spoke holes...
    [​IMG]

then...SUPERLITE hub #001 got Superlaced to 2.50x18 double signature Excel,,,weight saved ????
    ...circa 3lbs :thumb,,,,cost????...less than Excels version,,AND,,made in USA:clap
    [​IMG]

The hubs alone are just shy of half the weight of the BMW stock hub 29oz vs 56oz .Fewer number of spokes saves more weight without sacrificing strength....ie:36 vs 40. Woody will chime in later with more tidbits. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Chris

PS: Well,,,,we did it ,,they've been at the anodizers ,,the clear ones come back this afternoon,, the black and blues arrive in a week or two.,,,rear hub #001 will go to Jan Udholm in Danemark,,,he has been waiting more than patiently,,,it's being Superlaced with Supersized ss spokes n nipples to a 2,5x18 double signature black Excel,,double rim-locks. That's a pic of his pre-laced wheel going on test run to check that everything will be just right...
    a tubeless version of this will be offered in the very near future featuring Alpina tubeless nipple technology

Front hubs are in the lathe and mill as i write,,perhaps today,,tomorrow:dunno
    FYI,,,They will come in single disc and double disc version,,,probably use 300mm and/or 320mm Braking wavy rotors ,,,, and give you circa 5lb+ weight saving,,,

ATTABOYS,,to my buddy Mike Berry from MB Precision Machining for helping me make em happen and to Jim Rowley whose quest for a lighter stronger 1150 Special provided the inspiration...:thumb
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Daym Woody... how did you do that?!! Wow :clap

You could have them anodized in .... roundel blue or Ohlins yellow!!

p.s. how much $ compared to OEM hubs? :evil
  3. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    blue is a hard color to anodize,,,but i'm giving it a shot...have one test hub being made in light blue...we'll see...w

i'm peeing in my pants waiting for the front hub,,,theoretically i punched in some nice stuff,,now how that get's translated,,:dunno,,,keep ya posted

cost??? i'm shooting for less than or minimally same as oem,,,then ya have a hard decision to make,,,, oem BMW or Superlite,,,hmmmnnnnnn:wink:
  4. XPatriot

XPatriot Charges have been dropped

Oddometer:
    So if I lick these (and they look so good the temptation is definitely there) I won't get lead poisoning?
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You won't get lead poisening from licking these hubs, but you might get it from drinking your tea when your wife finds out that you've blown another paycheck on more "crap" for your bike. :lol3

Looking forward to seeing your front hub Woody :thumb
  6. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Temples of Syrinx (Treasure Valley Idaho)
    Absolutely fooking beautiful!
  7. tigerapple

tigerapple Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff....

Do you have any of these that will fit a R100GS PD? Im looking at both a front and rear that will fit a tubeless. Can you PM the cost for these? Thanks! :1drink
  8. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L !!!! :clap
    amazing.
    fantastic.
    great great job.
    now, let me find some funds.

/thierry

ps: did I mention how amazing you job is ?
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    i wouldn't be surprised if the net measurements on these two front wheels matched...outside of the bearings speedo drive etc,,,,you've got me thinking...

experience has shown me that manufacturers often have lot's of overlap in setting up different bikes,,,,ie the main node points remain the same,,,now i'm curious,,have got a 100gspd sitting in my work area,,,
    will report,,,man that would be some nifty news for you all...
  10. Pir8te

Pir8te over forty victim of fate

Oddometer:

what is the Alpina tech?
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    trick nipples with sealing o-rings and specially drilled rims to properly line up and mate :thumb,,,Alpina has been at the forefront of getting all kinds of sealing technologies for wire wheels some of the original stuff is being discontinued..
  12. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    So Woody!? Now you have me beeging mate.. I have ordered some rims for my new G650X and Chris tells me I have to use the 'clunky lookin' OEM BMW hubs! What about some trick hubs for the GX???????? :norton :bow:thumb:ricky

PLeaasssseeeeee!?
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    with a lil luck maybe they'll interchange,,,will look into it for sure:thumb
  14. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb
  15. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Well I'm certainly keen as I'm sure others are as well! Thanks for looking into it :1drink
  16. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 I'd like some new wheels too...
  17. shardzero

shardzero I have a bike.....

Oddometer:
    +1 I'll take a set for a GX.

Will the hub be a similar strength to the standard hub. Aluminium to me = bending. The original are cast aluminium right? But if you reduce the weight = less material = weaker.
  18. scotsmun

scotsmun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get sidetracked worrying about X650's........can't wait to see the HP2 pair when they are ready.....please post pics, prices and time for delivery.:thumb
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    All-

Below are a couple photos of the naked billet hubs for the front of any HP2, R1200GS, or R1200GSA. Full wheel photos and the finished product to come later this week.

soooo how does 2.06 lbs sound for what you see,,,,tomorrow the final version with additional weight saving touches will come off the lathe and mill ,,,little refinements here and there,,,

our committment was to cut the weight of the oem hubs in half ,,,,we are on our way,,,the original hub of 1200GS weighed in at 5.58 lbs with bearings n seals,,,let's see,,,,,

BTW chime in on the aesthetics,,,

and of course the HP-2 version will be even lighter ,,'cuz the right set of flanges will be gone!!!!

these hubs will use standard bmw seals,,2005 2Rs bearings,,,and take any KTM mounted brake rotor from 300/320mm+...the intention is to provide you all with the choice of rotors colors and rims,,,,we are leaning toward the floating Braking wavy rotor pictured below...it runs $299 versus circa $200 for the oem stuff...way lighter AND floats plus has great reviews on the braking ability,,,and last but not least it will slide right in and use your existing spacers/axles,,,am checking on ABS adaptability,,,for now we went on the assumption that the majority of serious dirt bike riders/racers do not utiliize the ABS function

[​IMG]

on it's side:

[​IMG]

here's the Braking 300mm floating rotor that Pyndon used on his Baja !000 pre-run bike,,now visualize that rotor on the hub pictured above,,,same bolt pattern,,,,:thumb
    [​IMG]

Enjoy and I'm sure Woody will chime in with a few tidbits later.(pssst,i just did,,,woody)

Chris
  20. Sonymalc

Sonymalc I'm Just Here

Oddometer:
    MMMM....Tubeless possibliltys for G650X. :tb