Buying a used GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CafeRacer99, Apr 30, 2012.

1. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What specific things should I be looking at? Based on prices I've seen on Craigslist, I'll be looking at 2005-2007 models. I've bought and sold a few used bikes and I do most of my own maintenance, so I have a general knowledge of motorcycles. But the collective knowledge on this site is amazing, so I thought I'd try to get "GS" smart before I go shopping later this summer.

Are there "bad" mods that people do that would make you steer clear of a particular bike if you saw them?
    Are there mods that are desirable, that make the bike a better deal?
    How much mileage is too much mileage?
    What questions would you ask?
    Would you be leery of a bike advertised as having been ridden to South America? (I have my eye on one such.)
    Anything specific to the bike I should look closely at when I go see it?

Thanks for the help!
  2. SkiFly01

SkiFly01 Florida Man

Oddometer:
    Those years I believe have the quick release fittings on the sides that cover the tank and are known to become unhinged and catch air. The EWS ring around the ignition key slot, sub-harness can breakdown. Servo brakes can be more difficult to do fluid flushes on. If you found a bike that has gone to South America, check suspension and final drive play. Others are bound to chime in.
  3. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Avoid any GS with whizzy servo assisted brakes. That means 07 or newer which don't have them.
  4. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    Really? Is there an upgrade for older bikes?
  5. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2004 R 1150 R listed on Phoenix CL , 18K miles looks unmolested. If he's motivated then you might score a great deal. Use the left over cash for gas, motel?

edit: The 2000 R 1100 R looks pretty sweet as well. Has the final upgrades that BMW made to the 1100 engine and gear box.

If you are determined to get a 1200GS then look for newer, but imo, either buy 2012 or wait for price drop. Lots of these are ridden hard. Unless gas drops you will see more 40 mpg high $$ maintenance motorcycles for sale soon.
  6. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    I'm not locked in to a 1200. Is there any real downside to an 1150 that makes holding out for a 1200 worth it?
  7. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a value call.
  8. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    I really want a two-up bike for touring, with dirt road ability. I want to balance value with long life. I know if I go back far enough I can pick a bike up for next to nothing, but I want to be riding this bike for a good long time.

So I guess what I'm really saying is: my budget is in the neighborhood of $10K, and I want to keep this bike for 5-8 years. So which of the GS's should I be looking at?
  9. Jefff321

Jefff321 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just found a 2002 R 1150 GS with 3000 miles and every option possible. Beautiful shape cost me 7k. Worth every penny.I think it rides as good as the new 1200 I just test rode.At least pretty close and a whole lot cheaper.
  10. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    its a value call
  11. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    CR99, I've had an 1150 R and several 12GS's. Get the GS/don't even think about the R just because it costs less. There is a reason it does. Look for an '07 and you will find one for 10k or less. Ignore guys asking 12/13k for them, that's just silly. I've owned every year from mid '04 when they came out to late '09. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll be happy to help.
  12. CafeRacer99

Oddometer:
    I have plenty of time to be patient and look for a good deal. I did consider the R bikes, but decided a while ago that the GS style is what I want.

Are there any questions I should ask the owner right off the bat when I go look a used 1200GS?
  13. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Yes -

"May I review your maintenance records please?"
  14. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    consider 1100 GS
  15. fastgpfred

fastgpfred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree with Marty. Be patient. Good buys are out there and 07 is your best bet but check for 08 - 09 too. Consider what accessories you will want. If you find one with stuff you want, great. Consider holding out for a GSA. Big tank is great and Vario cases on reg GS are junk. PM me also. Glad to help
  16. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    I have a 07 and I think it is the best year in terms of the overall value. No assisted ABS and models without a trip computer don't have the dreadful fuel strip. I paid less than 10k for mine year and a half ago, although I think I got a very good deal.
    08-09 have slightly more power, new options- TPMS and traction control, a drain plugin in the final drive, higher output generator. They also "facelifted", although you may not see it as an advantage.