Download City Navigator or transfer from PC to PC?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Caldy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Caldy

Caldy Live your Dreams

Oddometer:
    I've got a Zumo 660 which I bought in 2011 and installed City Navigator (Aust & NZ 2011.20) and Tracks4Aust on a laptop, along with Mapsource.

I now want to set up a different PC, and have installed Mapsource and Tracks4 Aust, but can't download (ie Garmin site won't let me without buying a new version and can't find a free site that seems to work) or transfer (can't find the files on my C Drive) City Navigator. I expect that my free Garimin download has expired.

Any suggestions as to how to transfer or download for free?? I don't think I should have to pay for a new version or another copy.

Cheers,
    Cords
  2. ausguy

ausguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM Sent
    Aus
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    If you are using Mapsource and these data files on your current PC, they exist, and can be transferred to the new PC. They don't have to be downloaded again. Some times it just takes a little searching to find it.

Going to the tools tab of Mapsource you can find a way to export the keys for any locked map data.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have done this a few times. But I always reinstall from the original CD or DVD.

Since the versions of Mapsource are out of date on the discs, I then downloaded the latest Mapsource from Garmin and reinstalled that.

Since part of the installation involves setting information in the Windows Registry, I don't think you can't just copy the files. I guess if you were a real Windows guru, you could copy files and then go in and mess with the resigstry on the new computer.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed how? Sounds like not from a disc. Like wbbnm says with disc you can install in as many computers as you want but only download to 1 GPS.

Also I have old computers and only upgrade MapSource to 6.13.7