How important is 2 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CBRider, Nov 29, 2012.

1. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Okay I will do that. :evil
  2. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    1WD has proven sufficient for the modest offroad or off pavement trail riding that I do, with reverse enough to get me out of bad spots, and with a knobbie installed in the rear position (if I have the forethought to do that).

That said, if I had a 2WD machine, I would likely make it a point to seek out situations where it would be necessary to use it and I would enjoy it simply because it's cool. For my riding, it is not a necessity.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    How dare you be so "churlish"?!!!? Your answer is prolly the only one that fits 99% of sidecar people. 2wd for most is like "needing" a BMW R1200GSA to get you to Starbucks.
  4. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy Strong Bad,

Sir, I dare say it is most churlish of you to write so disparagingly of those who need a BMW R1200GSA to navigate the cruel, one could say relentlessly dangerous streets alongside of which most starbucks are located. In future please refrain from such assaults on those who desperately need such a high tech machine to survive the horrible road conditions in the major cities of our planet.
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A coupla lowly 1-wheel drives...

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/812884753_GG6sKg7?width=640&height=480&albumId=11542676&albumKey=SCfG7G"></iframe>

To once again answer the OP's original question:
  6. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Another...

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/812880073_Gnn8CxW?width=640&height=480&albumId=11542676&albumKey=SCfG7G"></iframe>
  7. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    But if it is steep an rocky a 1-wheel dirve might get you there...

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/634474455_BCLBVSr?width=640&height=480&albumId=9328243&albumKey=FhbVdb"></iframe>
  8. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy EvilCLown,

Thanks for the videos, :clap

Yes your video shows how one wheel drive can go pretty darn good, WHEN your moving and have momentum working for you.

However if for whatever reason you had to get started half way up such hilly or slippery terrain even if you could get moving again in one wheel drive you would find it MUCH easier to do with two wheel drive.

And thats the other thing folks seem to be over looking when it comes to the use of two wheel drive, used within the design envelope of the machine its a heck of a lot easier on the machine and the rider to use two wheel drive to over come some obstacles then it is to ride these same terrain elements if done in one wheel drive.
  9. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    No argument from me. Just answering the original questions and did mention in my replies that with a Ural - 1 or 2 wheel drive - momentum is your friend.:deal

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/814757656_Kmc3hnX?width=640&height=480&albumId=11566483&albumKey=8fCBXH"></iframe>
  10. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:

Go big or go home....

:lol3
  11. EvilClown

Oddometer:

This one is a bit of a slow start but it gets there eventually...

<IFRAME height=480 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/813685908_n9tr9Kn?width=640&height=480&albumId=11542676&albumKey=SCfG7G" frameBorder=0 width=640 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

That was one mucky St Patty's day.:lol3

When it got bad the 2-wheel drive didn't fair any better than this 1-wheel drive did.

[​IMG]

We did manage to get them all out. Under their own power.

The Ural really is an amazing machine for what it is. Always amazes me what it'll go through. But it's important to have the right rubber on it for these antics.:deal

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Cob

Oddometer:
    Howdy All,

This is one of the six videos I have posted concerning the 2009 Moab Ural gathering. Many times in these videos I will purposely go slow when going up or down rough stuff to give a much better idea of how nasty some of this stuff is, this happens in the first part of this video.

Fast forward to about 4:45 in the video you will see one of the rigs is in ONE wheel drive and slows down because of the rough roads and rocks, he has a hell of a time getting going again and is passed by a couple of other rigs who are in two wheel drive, you can tell they are in two wheel drive as watch close and you can see both the pusher and the sidecar wheel kick dirt to get and keep moving. I forget the riders name but you can see once he shifts into two wheel drive he has no problem getting going again.

Like has been said and I agree, two wheel drive is not needed but it sure comes in handy even when doing semi-sane rough road riding as this video proves. It was about a three mile climb from the bottom to the top of these switch-backs, its on such terrain that its a heck of a lot easier on the rig to just put it in two wheel drive at the bottom and leave it there till you've reached the top.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V2wRMtKkLJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gee, I thought I summed it up pretty well in my first post in this thread.
  14. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Deep sand is the only time I use 2wd, and even rarely in deep sand. And in off-roading, you'd be amazed at how easy it is to use a ratchet strap as a winch. Reverse is never really needed, but it definitely makes parking easier.:D

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.
  15. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree completely with Mr. Cob. I would not attempt the half mile journey to my local Starbucks without a BMW GSA. Since I don't own a GSA I have to take my Humvee.
  16. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    I agree, my BMW did not have enough cup holders.

17. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to throw another log on the fire I really only use 2 wheel drive in the morning on my way down the driveway to work:

[​IMG]

And in the evening to get back up the driveway:

[​IMG]
  18. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Did you say add another log?:rofl

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/815431070_q3BvQZF?width=640&height=480&albumId=11573844&albumKey=qNfpzj"></iframe>

What a fun bike!:clap
  19. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    These two 2-wheel drive units give a lesson in trail etiquette...

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="480" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/815407684_ScMrnq7?width=640&height=480&albumId=11573844&albumKey=qNfpzj"></iframe>

That crunch at 0:09 is them tagging each other.:huh

Without the necessary momentum neither of them made the climb as the 1-wheel drive with the bald tire in the first video did.
  20. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    How important is 2 wheel drive ?.
    I have my 2 wheel drive pulled down to do some work on it.
    On a ride yesterday 100 km from home i got bogged .
    No way would this have stopped me with the 2 wheel drive working .

[​IMG]

Lucky i have a winch to help me out as the river sand was to deep to get going again .
    [​IMG]

I had to hook the rope onto this large log and 30seconds later we were on our way again :clap.

[​IMG]

As i tell people that ask me . 2 wheel drive is not needed 99% of the time just like on there 4x4 cars. But it is great to have when you do need it .
    Cheers Ian