Tour of idaho Challenge

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by WTW, Dec 29, 2012.

1. WTW

WTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does any one have the GPS track for the TOUR OF IDAHO CHALLENGE that works with BaseCamp THANKS TOM
  2. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick, went ot web site could not mind any tracks, sems to be a navagation contest.
  4. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From this page:

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_Route_Description.htm

there are seven gpx files linked.

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D1.gpx
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D2.gpx
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D3.gpx
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D4.gpx
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D5.gpx
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D6.gpx
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/gpx/T1_D7.gpx

These appear to be a sequence of waypoints so one will have to create an actual track from them. Not sure what the point of that. They look pretty detailed, ie. close together, so I don't think there will be much mystery about the correct path.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow these are ugly beyond belief. Can any of those smart guys with some fancy program make them into tracks? Based on other threads, I assume if they were connected into a route, BaseCamp can convert that to a track.

I looked and looked and never found these .gpx files.
    mostroker likes this.
  6. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    GPSBabel can do the conversion, but it needs a bit of fine tuning. These gpx files were created by National Geographic TOPO and include not only the main route but one or more alternates. The alternate paths confuse the GPSBabel conversion and that is where the fine tuning comes in. Even with the alternate paths removed, the main track is 511 points - an inconvenient number. I have only looked at the first section - D1 - and it follows some existing roads here and there so I'm sure the number of points can be safely reduced. Overall, the track looks fine. Some of the altitude data seems mangled by the conversion process.

http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID_FAQ.htm explains their feeling about the gpx format. A little silly, IMO.

I will continue to work on these. I have the first segment nearly done, just adding the alternate paths. If anyone is interested, let me know.
  7. motorcyclejazz

motorcyclejazz Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil in Seattle. It's plumb groovy that you managed to find things you found "silly" about our FAQ while ignoring reams of data that represent about a decade's worth of work - none of which cost you a dime. I guess that free served up with the expectation of a modicum of manners and intelligence is expecting too much in some cases. In fact, had you bothered to visit the reader forum or visit the Facebook page you would have seen that most of what you want me to do for you has already been done by others.

Since you didn't pay any heed to the volumes of advice we provided about T1, T2 and T3, and find our views "silly," I'll leave it up to you to discover why you are quite wrong about reducing the number of waypoints. Should you, by some miracle, make it to the Tour flagpole I would not stop wearing any kind of a sign that says "I am Phil from Seattle" unless you want an Idaho boot applied to your fanny.

All the best.

M
  8. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't commenting about your FAQ, only about the gpx format. A long list of waypoints is not how most folks use their gps units to navigate. I'm sure all the conversion has been done. Why not put a link to it on your map page? You are certainly welcome to my files.

Actually, I have read nearly every word on every page of your site. I applaud you for the effort. I just downloaded all the maps and spent the last 15 minutes looking at them carefully and figuring out where I have ridden and where I have yet to go. I have done nearly all the northern half - north of Salmon - and would have done more but for the massive fires last year. Nothing south of the Magruder in Montana and the Shoup area was open to travel. We couldn't get past the reservoir. Not that you could see anything, open or not.

Your sections in the south are on my list for the next year or so.

Thanks again for the effort. I didn't mean to demean it in any way. Idaho is a great place to ride and I have spent many happy miles on my knobbies in your state. A group of us here on the wet side are planning a T3 ride this summer so if you see "Phil from Seattle" I'll be happy to buy your beer.

BTW, I have heard a lot of the single track trails have been closed the last couple of years, All of your T1 is still open?

Thanks again for the excellent effort.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    M,

I to have scouted thousands of miles of routes but as said above, by far the easiest way to share with others is with tracks. I have thousands of miles fo tracks posted on GPSXchange.com

I am currently working on the Great Western Trail from Nogalas AZ up through AZ, UT, corner of WO, then ID to Canada. I have about half of it done and posted.

I am interested in seeing pckopp's tracks when he is through converting a bizilion way points to something usefull to me.

Jerry
  10. motorcyclejazz

motorcyclejazz Banned

Oddometer:
    Yo. Is this ringing any bells? http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52174 I would not try that up here if I were you.

I am completely indifferent on whether our stuff is "usefull" to you or not. The way we do things is not for everyone. If you either lack the ability or are just too indolent to ponder the information on our site, and reflect on exactly what we did and why we did it before proclaiming that it is a "mess," you may go elsewhere. Almost everyone who spends much time on MotorcycleJazz looking through reams and reams of digital info on the Tours of Idaho (T1, T2 and T3) figures everything out pretty quickly. If you can't or won't do this, you should probably not pack your bags and head our way anytime soon. What you proclaim a "mess" is a deliberate presentation that lies atop an enormous effort supported by dozens of volunteers and several government agencies who work with us to keep 1430 miles of the finest adventure trail in the country open from year to year. And all of this, as I mentioned above, is free - a courtesy that you did not extend to one of our contributing editors the last time he emailed you for a track a few years back.

The only words that ought to be rolling off your fingertips after looking over our site are "Thank You."

It looks like I'm going run out of feet to plant here.
  11. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the first section - D1 - converted to a track. There is the main track and two alternates.

I added "fixed_trk_alt" to the filename so I could keep them organized.

"fixed" - I cleaned up a bunch of elevation data, There were several points with a negative elevation. Also, I put the waypoints in order. Doesn't matter until you convert to a track. waypoint # 123 was out of order as were a couple of alternate route points..

"trk" - I used GPSBabel to convert this to a track file and removed the waypoints to keep the file small.

"alt" - I manually added the two alternate routes to the input gpx file then saved as a GPX from MapSource.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  12. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the second section. The only fix required was the last waypoint out of order. Must be a bug in the Nat Geo software. No biggie.

Lot of points in this one - 974.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  13. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the third section. Fixed the errant last waypoint and added the alternate route. Again, over 900 points.

On the 100K map it shows a second route down from Keystone Mountain to Challis that follows Birch Creek. There doesn't seem to be any data in the gpx file for this.

Same file naming convention - fixed, trk, alt.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  14. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Section 4. This is the part I so wanted to ride last year. Damn fires.

This one didn't have the odd last waypoint problem the others have. 516 points of fun!

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  15. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Section 5. Apart from some errant elevation data, a clean conversion.

Any ride over the Magruder is a good one!

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  16. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Section 6. Easy Peasy.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  17. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Section 7 and the last. Only one error in the file, the last waypoint out of order. I didn't bother with a "fixed" for only this.

900 points of North Idaho adventure!

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  18. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can find the entire T1 2013 edition in GPX format with all the challenge point waypoints posted as well at gpsxchange, search Tour of Idaho 2013. It was remarkably simple to convert the tpo files to gpx using Babel and it is even easier to filter each of the tracks to 500 trackpoints using mapsource or basecamp, so that they can be used by the older Garmin 60s etc.
    Easy Peasy. You may very well want to spend more than 15 minutes looking at the maps or you may find your self being shit out by a male ursus arctos horribilis, beside your out of fuel motorbike....:rofl
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job. They will all fit in one file. I also added some more fun options on Day 6.

Attached Files:

Voaf likes this.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I said, I have thousands of miles of tracks posted on GPSXchange.com Also, riders don't have to post a track first to get mine, just take em and ride.

The ONLY thing I will not gladly share are my commercial rides for obvious financial reasons. What did he request?

Jerry