New Huskys based on BMW 650

Discussion in 'Australia' started by STROM-CRF450X-990SMT, Jul 12, 2012.

1. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo:clap
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    could either of you lucky new owners check the axle diameters? in the pic above i'd hazard a guess at 17mm rear and 20mm front? which would be perfect for a set of CBR250R cast wheels with cush drive hub i adapt to each dirt bike i get.

i know it's got 300mm and 240mm front and rear discs which would be easy to work with....
  3. Ranger Rob

Ranger Rob Out and about...

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    My mate and his mrs have just arrived at my place with her riding her new Terra (1st one sold in Australia :clap)
    The thing stalls everywhere, be it at the lights, backing-off etc.

Throttle gets physically jammed on FULL and has to be jerked to release!!!
    She is currently hating the bike :cry as it has a really bad head-shake (Dunlop 606 front and rear).
    She has ridden heaps of bikes (no noob) and owns a KTM 950SM.

I need to find out for them ASAP ....

• In the owner's manual can someone please look up how long to run the bike for a "reset" of the ECU, and we will try it now. (if it will run for that long.
    Please have a look and PM me or preferably call me on 0418 748 339

Cheers,
    Ranger (and his visitors)
  4. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    PM sent

Ring me.

Was it de restricted correctly? Cable at carb end might not be alighned - special part provided by Husky to overcome throttle stop. I have a workaround and had to sign a form to get the proper part from husky which arrives next week. Weird eh.

Stalling thing is strange - heard reports from the seppos that they had some difficulties. No info on throttle reset re ecu but You need to start the thing with no throttle 3minutes run time. Turn off. Do again.

Dave
  5. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:
    ^WHS^

From the other TR650 thread..."Some Dude" post #1235

"The most important thing with the TR650 and BMW G650's is to not play with the throttle at all during start up and particularly do not twist the throttle prior to hitting the start button. Doing so will put the EFI into a limp mode which is not optimal. Upon installing of the battery for the first time, the TR650 should have key turned on and started without any input to the throttle what so ever, then let it idle until cooling fan comes on. Let it cool, start it up again and go test ride. By about the 3rd or 4th heat/cool cycle the 650's will typically run great. If for some reason the adaptives become corrupt, such as from starting with throttle applied or too tight of a throttle cable, then the service computer is hooked up and those adaptives are zero'd out and then do to adaptive process all over again."

There is nothing in the manual about a reset that I can see.

I was expecting the Aussie bikes to be re-mapped by PFG before being sent out. It doesn't appear to be that way though. I think mine is on the lean side, but no stalling issue. It comes up as Map 2 on the display, which I think is the same as the seppo's were getting with their lean issues.
  6. Mtrain

Mtrain free range

Oddometer:
    I dont have a terra but have an xchallenge so take my advice for what its worth.
    If the throttle is physically jamming is all the cable routing correct? And for a reset can you just disconnect the battery for fifteen minutes then go through the proper startup procedure as mentioned above.
    Good luck
  7. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:
    It was 37 degrees yeaterday the bike ran great. A bit cooler this morning but really muggy today and I got the stalling issue raising its head.

Hopefully it won't be long before I can get it re-mapped. It's still a keeper though.
  8. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    Chuffa is is stalling when chuggin around at low speed in first? or does it stall st idle or on deaceleration? Mine is slightly fluffy just off idle.

Just discovered that the top off a bottle of Castrol R30 plugs the steering head hole!
  9. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Hapless airhead rescuer, Adventourer

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember some G650X owner had stalling issues. I had a cluster of other issues but not stalling so I didnt explore any of the threads related to this but it may be worth searching the BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index to see what has come up. Also check the overflow valve thingy http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290240&page=443
  10. Ranger Rob

Ranger Rob Out and about...

Oddometer:
    I've just checked-out Cath's bike (the stalling Terra 650) which was the first one delivered in Australia :deal (at least she got some pictures taken and a new polo shirt!)

After hearing the talk i knew something wasn't right, but when the bike was started for the guys to return home......
    • Started and ran fine when it was "cold" and the "choke" was on i.e. running rich
    • Once the engine warmed it started running rougher and if you tried to gently roll the throttle it was ABSOLUTE crap, farting, missing and almost stalling until the throttle was let off.
    • By cracking the throttle open a little quicker you can get some revs up but definately cannot roll it on without stalling.
    • The bike is basically unridable as it stalls when you go to take off from anywhere, be it traffic lights, stop signs etc. so she will get a car running up her ass if she's unlucky
    The bike will go back to Husqvarna ASAP.

It astounds me that a dealership could let the bike go out the door like this :huh
    What about a little bit of checking after all of the same reported problems from overseas?

When the bike was handed over there was a quick, "fleeting" mention of some mapping that might have to be done at the first service" but they weren't sure if they did, or did not actually have the programme and mapping yet :eek1

I am sure this will be a great bike but man.... these things should NEVER have been released like this.

What do you reckon??:ear
  11. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    All sounds typically BMW to me, they just don't give a shit.....as long as they get your money, then they take their time doing anything about fixing your bike, and even charging you for it if they can.

Or maybe I just dealt with the wrong BMW places :cry
  12. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    Happy fella here - got the first thou and a bit up on it.[​IMG]
  13. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:
    Good work ! Nice tip DRF. Cheers

Mine was stalling at idle. Most of the time just after blipping the throttle just a tad.
    It was a bit jerky after downshifting into 1st and putting around a carpark with no throttle.
    I haven't had a stall when downshifting to a stop.

To me it sounds the same as the symptoms shown in the northern hemisphere & will be quickly sorted out with a re-map. This might take a little longer to get done in the West but I can always get a BoosterPlug.

500km on it to date... still lovin it.
  14. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    +1
  15. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that from experience or from someone else?

I have had and still own several BMWs and their service has always been first class. Nothing to bitch about on that front.

The biggest problem we have in this country is the low-grade rubbish they pass off as Premium unleaded!

Its so poor no two batchs are the same and causes more problems than anything else.

TheTterra will probably need a re-flash as it will have been setup for quality fuel, not the stinking shit we have to use!!
  16. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Three Beemers, two mid 80's models with no big dramas, R65LS I bought six years ago when getting back in to riding followed by a K100RT.
    Then came a 2000 model R1150GS that emptied the bank account to the tune of about $6,000 in twelve months, the old Beemers are good, the newer ones are not.

As for the Beemer shops, they all charge 40% more than the average workshop [and some I've dealt with don't even know what they are looking at, one didn't even realise the bike had a Power Commander on it that was causing a problem- subsequently I limped all the way back from Melbourne to Sydney on a bike that would not perform and was drinking fuel at the same rate as a Mack truck], plus parts are a premium, the bikes don't deserve a premium price these days, they just don't stack up.

So no, I'm not quoting from someone else's experience, it is my personal experience and wallet.

Now about your claim regarding our shit fuel in Australia, do you buy from a brand name? [Shell/Caltex/BP/Mobil- though Mobil are selling off all their sites].

You obviously missed a report late last year on A Current Affair where they tested and found in most cases all the grades of fuel sold in Australian servos were actually ABOVE the octane rating for that particular grade, none were below the required rating for each grade tested.

I spent nine years doing runs that took me in to ten or twelve servos a day, with over 300 sites on my list.
    Now my job didn't involve anything to do with fuel on the sites, but I was privy to many of the issues on the sites, the culprits that were caught doctoring fuel were not part of the big brand chains and the fuel was doctored after it left the refinery [actually other products were dumped in the underground tanks to dilute the fuel by mixing in with a part load of genuine grade fuel that was dropped in first].

There is basically nothing wrong with our fuel in Australia currently.

I have proved over many years that running Premium fuel in vehicles actually works out cheaper in dollar terms than running the standard unleaded octane fuels...don't start me on E10.

I'm not interested in starting a pissing match about fuels or BMW's, I've simply quoted from my own experience.

I love the old Beemers and will hopefully buy another one eventually, but it will be of 70's- 80's vintage and will not be my daily ride [I will keep the Japanese bikes for that task].

If you have found a good BMW dealer/workshop let us all know where they are :deal

As for the Husky- or any other bike consigned for sale in this country, they should not be having the problems they are at present.

I'm glad you have managed to get hold of some good Beemers Bigem :clap

Cheers,
    Ock.
    :freaky
  17. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    You have been to different dealers to me then! I took my R65 to a Melbourne dealer to get a service & tune up done as I was having some idling issues, whist it was there they found a stripped diff drain plug. they called me and gave me a quote to strip the diff and helicoil the hole which I approved. After I got the bike home on closer inspection it was fairly obvious that the diff had not been touched and the helicoil had been done in situ.
    They didn't manage to fix the idle issue either, when I mentioned that on picking up the bike their response was something along the lines of "we don't like working on these older bikes anyway"
    At the time I had my heart set on buying an F650 gs Dakar, but the whole issue was enough to make me buy a KTM which I have had ever since :D
  18. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    Took mine in for its first service and new mapping. The download of the maps are taking longer than expected. Will pick it up tomorrow.

Still no sign of the bash plate or screen or proper throttle bit.

Not sure about the service from PFG... Anyone with more experience dealing with them than me?
  19. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:
    I will be interested to hear what you think of the new map.
    It might be a little while before I can get it done here.

Surely you're not going with the Husky skid plate? Say it aint so...
  20. davorallyfan

Oddometer:
    I Know, I Know
    I am desperate to do some fire trails...
    Perhaps I can improve on it...:scratch