Bulb exploded!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Osmin C, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Osmin C

Osmin C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, my second bulb went out today at 28300(ish) miles while on my way to work. For no particular reason, I looked at the bulb through the front of the headlight housing and realized it not only went out, it shattered inside.

I searched and found no other examples of this happening. My concern is that now I have tiny shards of glass inside of my headlight assembly. Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on how to remove all of the shards?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! :D
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take out broken bulb...WHEELIE?:rofl

Otherwise..VACUUM with small crevice attachment (don't have one?) or reverse the thought and BLOW OUT?:huh

Don't think that any remaining (after vacuum/blowout) small pieces of shard will present any problems if you don't get them all.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the GSA, but the GS headlight assembly comes off in about 45 seconds. Take it off, pull out the remains of the old bulb holder, turn the headlight up, and shake. Most of the stuff will come out.

Or use a vacuum as LaurelPerryOnLand suggested. Or a combination of both.
  4. Osmin C

Osmin C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be the same process. What should I be looking for in order to get it out?
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Three bolts and the connector. Ignore the arrows. The connectors are right and left and bottom center.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pull the headlight, remove both bulbs and shake. You will get 99% out.

By the way, not common to see a bulb pop, unless it was installed with greasy fingers.
  6. Osmin C

Osmin C Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim! I try to be careful when installing, but might have slipped up last time 'round.
  7. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Jim, I assume that is your headlight in the photo? Are both low and high beam HIDs? If so, do you miss the flash-to-pass of an incandescent?
  8. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    Its very rare for a bulb to explode. I have heard that touching bulbs with bare skin leaves an oil on the bulb which causes hot spots which will eventually cause it to explode. Could that be what happened?:ear
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Nope, I don't miss it because it still works as well as the non-HID did, contrary to popular belief.:deal
  10. Oggie

Oggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ha, is that what that thing is supposed to do.. Might need to tell the cagers here in in DC.....:rofl
  11. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This!

You can have clean hands and still leave a bit of oil from your skin on the bulb. Eventually the bulb will get hot enough and explode. Next time use gloves (or even a paper towel) when installing the bulb. :deal