Which High Fender.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gedjack, Jun 9, 2008.

1. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I like it better than the EXC also (less droopy). Any parts different than the EXC list (other than the fender)?
  2. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    Me too.

You can delete the fender brace related items, they are not needed for the 690E fender.
  3. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch for the research and parts list. That oughta save me about.. hmm.. $190! $160 is right in line. Awesome!
  4. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Thanks PA :webers
  5. PABiker

Oddometer:
    Cool, I made the HOW.:wings :thumb :rayof
  6. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 950 spends most of its time on the road, but I have gotten stuck in the mud due to the front wheel gluing itself to the fender, so I'm interested in this mod. Does the bike run significantly hotter? Does a vented fender help? Other downsides (noise/handling/susceptibility to cross winds)?

Oh, and is this mod compatible with fork seal savers? I would assume "yes" but I'm a thorough fork newbie.
  7. alpheus

alpheus Italian Carrot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  8. PABiker

Oddometer:
    My bike runs no different, temp or handling, after the mod.
  9. howl

howl 990 Adventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Hi I fitted the std KTM MX high guard with vent holes drilled in it and the std brace , SX80 fork guards and had no problems with over heating or handeling up to 130 mph ( cloed road ect )
  10. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    I started my high fender install today. The fender went on fine but I can't seem to get a handle on how to modify the left fork guard to work in conjunction with the ABS sensor. Do you end up cuting off the plastic arm that retains the wire to the ABS sensor so that you can get this guard to fit behind it? Which bolt holes on the guard did you use and which did you modify? If someone has a close up picture it would be really appreciated!!:D

Other options.... Has anyone use something like a rubber tube type cover for the fork instead (like they used on the KLR)? Or has tried cutting the OEM fender off and trim it down to leave the original sides as the fork guard portion? My big concern with this is that it may be to flimsy then.:scratch
  11. a$$hole

a$$hole Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I just trimmed the piece that holds the wire off and drilled a hole in the guard for a zip tie to hold the wire steady. Then I clearanced the corner of the guard to fit. And as far as the other bolt I made a oval shaped washer that has worked out very well and hasnt came loose in a few thousand miles. This was all done with 2003 SX 85 guards on an 09 990.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  12. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm finishing up the high fender install tonight,used the parts list from PA
    biker(thanks). I have been reading about broken fenders and front wheels being glued to the ground, but nothing about being thrown violently over
    the bars. I wish i would have read that little tid bit. After about 126 miles of riding though mud and snow I heard a pop from the fender,that was the right side coming off. I didn't think much about it, I was cold tired and wet and
    thinking of a warm fire and drinks. Anyways I hit a straightaway and gassed it
    I remember hitting 3 gear then I'm picking myself up off the ground. Holy crap
    that will ring your bell. The cross over brake line grabbed the front wheel and
    locks it up. So before you ride in the mud change the fender
  13. G$

G$ Lack of Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride a lot of off road so the raised front fender was a must for me. I had an old supermoto front fender lying around and it worked out great for me. I made several cuts with a hole saw to open up the rear of the fender for cooling. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought. Thanks for the pictures!!:thumb
  15. RickA

RickA Fat Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is how I converted the 990 R - looks good in white I think.

Attached Files:

16. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Are the brake lines on the outside of the forks stock on a 990?
    I'd be worried about ripping a line off when riding offroad.

How I've done mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upper and lower guide so line runs straight up and down:
    [​IMG]
  17. Aquanout

Aquanout Hooliganantic

Oddometer:
    My bike had a low fender and a high fender on it at some point in its life when I bought it, so the right side brakeline was already installed. I switch between the two because I really like the look of the low fender, it is just pretty useless offroad. Im going to make some tabs to raise the low fender an inch and see if I can get away with that.

[​IMG]
  18. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    Just did mine and used the Acerbis SuperMoto fender - it bolts straight on without any cutting or modification.

I also bought a set of generic KTM SX85 style fork protectors.

It all fitted really well and the job was down in about an hour.

I routed the ABS cable up the front of the protector as I didn't like the original routing around the side of the axle mount. I reckon where it was running originally, it'd get snagged on something if the bike went down on the left side! :huh

[​IMG]

These fork protectors have a join at the rear so it was easy to route the brake lines inside the protector and cable tie them to the fork leg

[​IMG]

Nice clean look and cable routing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. SSrider

SSrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks great !! I have the same year and color bike. I was wondering who made white palstic. Do the fork gaurds only come in orange? Once again great job. I'll be copying you just so you know.
  20. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good shit in this thread for the 990 conversion, many different configs. Thanks for all the good pics of the abs sensor chop and different routings.

I need to find a fender that doesn't restrict the air flow to the radiator, trying the Acerbis SM next, the one i have now totally fuks the air flow.

Thanks to all, the closeup pics are wonderful...