Aussie husband and wife looking at retiring in Asia

Discussion in 'Asia' started by pzs, Jan 29, 2012.

1. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happily married Aussie husband and wife looking at alternative place to retire early, question is Where, how much, good medical, GOOD RIDING,?
    I have some friends that are looking at doing this as the life style/retirement funds in Australia woud be limited compared to Asia.
    Any ex pats here doing the same, comments,ideas etc

regards
    pzs
  2. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    I spend 4+ months a year at Bantayan Island , good bunch of expats that speak english meet every evening at the Hard Kock Kafe at Santa Fe for drinks . A XR200 is perfect and local dealers sell them . Have a look in my smugmug pics . Cheers Toddy
  3. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    In the past 3 years I've visited Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, the Maldives, and the Philippines. Hands down you really should look at Thailand. Fantastic medical care, friendly people, great riding, even better beaches, the BEST food, good value for the dollar, ... I can go on and on about this place.

This website will help you with some of your questions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/

Canoli
  4. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm an expat in the Philippines. It's pretty good for the most part.

Riceman
  5. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of living in the mountains but being 15 minutes or so to the coast. Any ideas on locations

I have considerable amount of time owed to me in leave, I am considering taking a break and spending time having a closer look, It just seems to make sense to me that this maybe the answer I am looking for regards retiring early and enjoying good health, I appriciate comment supplied. Has anyone got ideas as to either buy a property or simply rent a property,
  6. andyhol

andyhol volcano rider

Oddometer:
    Hey mate,I spent some time working in NT so I know what you are looking for...
    Indo is nice. Jogjakarta in Central java is my home and its lovely.

The bikes are a bit small but thats fine for the roads here.
    International standard medical is very cheap or just an hour from singapore if you think you really need western prices.
    Buying a house is pretty much impossible for a non-citizen but you can rent a half decent house for about $2000 per year.
    Me and the Mrs brought the land and paid for our beach house to be made for about $2500.
    Petrol is about 50c per litre, if you dont want fancy food can be about the same for a meal.
    Very cheap flights to and from Oz now with Airasia.com
    I am very close to some great beaches and the volcanoes, the riding is really great.
    Island hopping with a bike is a really great way to see this huge and beautifully diverse country.

If you fancy having a look around over here I'll see you right
  7. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buying a house is pretty much impossible for a non-citizen but you can rent a half decent house for about $2000 per year.
    Me and the Mrs brought the land and paid for our beach house to be made for about $2500.

Your kidding me! I live in Alice Springs, and you got to pay $400-600 week for a bloody crap house on a dusty dirt block.

I am seriously dumb founded. We gotta come over for a look.
  8. andyhol

andyhol volcano rider

Oddometer:
    I'm serious. :deal

http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=12857315

1150 aud per year, min 2 years, 4 bedroom house, negotiable

nothing to do with me by the way

I just brought my newest (old) bike for about 400aud on the road

Nice avatar btw, you couldn't be arsed to do a special one either?
  9. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about rental house prices in Thailand, I have heard some good things about Vietnam also, Question. is old war ordenance (land mines) a problem that needs to be considered in any particular country. I also heard of Phillapines has a problem with ransom kidnappings by gurillea fighters.
  10. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We have a house in Vinh Long, Vietnam and really enjoy VN. I'll be splitting time there when I retire. Good health care options and lots of high tech infrastructure compared to other countries in SEA. Low cost of living and the food is awesome.
  11. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Misery Goat, I'll google the area.

I ask the above question as I live in a remote area now and I wonder if the large population would get to me living in city, I was thinking smaller villages with reasonable infustructure would suit us more(quiet life), but is this where we might get safety issues arising,

I am getting as much info as I can.
    1st I find it interesting and 2nd this maybe a possibility within the next 5-7 years.

regards
    pzs
    Central Australia
  12. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    In Laos and Cambodia there are still unexploded ordiance to be found, none in Thailand and I can't speak for Vietnam . When we went to rural parts of Indonesia and the southern Phillipines we were warned about possible kidnappings but we were not that concerned.

Thai housing prices will vary a great deal depending on what you want and where you want to be. A 4 bedroom house 20 min outside Bangkok is roughly 70,000 bhat a month in rent, while that same kind of money would buy you a castle in Chaing Dao (a fantastic place to ride). Best advice I can give is to come over to this part of the world, rent a bike and have a good look around. That way you'll have an amazing vacation while doing your retirement research ! :freaky

Canoli
  13. misery goat

Oddometer:
    There's plenty of small villages in the area. I think Vinh Long city is around 100K people so not huge per se but I guess it's big for people who don't like to be around people. VL doesn't feel big to me but I'm from Chicago so ymmv.
  14. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guy's, don't get wrong... I like to be around people, just I also like to escape from people at times, particulaly scum bag types (10years Correctional officer).
  15. misery goat

Oddometer:
    Well I'll be in Vietnam for a couple months starting this Sunday and will be doing a small trip to Cambodia and other places in VN. If you're in country when I'm in Vinh Long I'll be happy to show you around.
  16. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Misery Goat,

I woud like to take you up on that at some stage, but unfortunately not this year. I have work commitments (Bummer) and social commitments(finkedesertrace.com.au),(dry lakes racers australia.com.au) that are already spoken for this year.

I appeciate the offer very much
    pzs
  17. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all, PLS SCRAP SINGAPORE.....
    I'm a native here :cry and I can personally tell you that Singapore is a more of a company rather than a country.
    Well you might hear that, Ohhhh Singapore so clean, so safe, so efficient blah blah blah...
    I'm personally working my way to get out of here with my family.
    This is a country where ppl come to make money via working or biz. Its expensive to retire here, kids are overly stress about getting good grades and mom and dads both have to work to make ends meets.
    If you ever need a friend to show you around, drop me a PM.
  18. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks isgila, Where are you hoping to move your family to?

regards
    pzs
  19. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish...
    that my children can live without being marginalise by the colour of their skin..
    when I go for a job interview, I'm asked for my skills, knowledge and exprience not how many certs do I have
    where the people is not afraid of the government..
    where the politicians are not paid millions of dollars in salary but refuse to pass the mininum wage law..
    Any place better than this...
  20. pzs

pzs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Australia...?