riding till empty

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lakota, Sep 2, 2013.

1. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had the opportunity on my current ride in Quebec to search the limits of the tank on my F700GS. Twice ran it out to 37 miles after the fuel light came on and no problem.
    on another two occasions went till it ran out of gas - one time was 59 miles and 224 miles on the tank - fully loaded cases on the road. the other time 56 miles in gravel till it stopped.

just a couple of data points you might find useful.

Will be less of a problem when I get the cameltank installed.
  2. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2010 hits 0 about ten miles before you run out. It is not a good idea to go close to zero unless you have to. The gas around the pump keeps it from overheating. If it does get hot often it wont last as long. Dave
  3. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The best I got from my ride (90% highway-10% city) was 320Km till reserve kick in and cont abt another 80Km.
    Average of 4 liter per 100km on the OBC (On Board Computer) display.
    Around 25km/liter.

(90% city - 10% highway) was 240Km till reserve another 50Km.
    Average of 4.5 to 5 liter per 100km on the OBC.
    Around 20km/liter.
  4. Gnik Nus

Gnik Nus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ran my bike to EMPTY.... 244 miles on a recent trip to Alaska. Great mileage from running at slower speeds due to the gravel roads. Note, bike will lock up the rear wheel when you hit empty! :eek1
  5. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my 650gs twin, i don't even get the option of range on the display...?

I have average speed, consumption, current consumption and then back to temp. Am i missing something?
  6. Pete7874

Pete7874 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, the F700GS doesn't display range (miles to empty) either. It only starts counting the number of miles traveled from the moment the gas reserve light came on.
  7. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So its just the 800? Odd, as the manual says it should, read exactly as above. What do i know? Not a whole lot clearly.
  8. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    The '13 800GS doesn't have miles-to-empty either, it's the same as the 700GS, just starts counting miles or km since it hits the reserve capacity. BMW felt the range calculations with the under-seat tank were inaccurate so they shit-canned it. I have gone 410km / 254 miles once with mixed riding after a planned fuel-stop didn't work out.
  9. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    2013 F800:
    Stock tank has been run down to 4.02 gallons, still running. Dalton Highway, 2-up 250 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse, stock tank, internal fuel only. We did not run out, but cut it pretty close.
    Cannot confirm additional usable capacity.
    My Normal around town fuel consumption is 58 mpg.
    Gravel roads, loaded, 2-up at 55MPH nets over 60 Miles per Gallon.
    Careful Fuel Conservation riding @ 50 miles per hour makes 65 miles+ per gallon.
    High speed, 2-up pavement 75-85+ MPH , 50.5 Miles per Gallon.
    Camel Tank is on order, and should provide 6 full usable gallons.
    That computes to a minimum range of 300+ miles, and Fuel Conservation range of at LEAST 360 miles.
  10. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    They changed the OBC after the first two years of people complaining about the "miles-til-empty" gauge being wrong. So, they changed the new OBC to start counting up from zero to show the rider how many miles traveled since the gas gauge dropped to zero (and "light on")...puts the onus on the rider...

The highest I've dared to push my 2011 800 is 36 miles past "light on." Good to know that people have been getting as high as 56. Thanks Lakota!
  11. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    It was a software change sometime between 2010 and 2011. So only bikes built prior to this will have the est range display.
  12. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. Now I know.
  13. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F800GS Adventure: I've had the counter up to 40km since the reserve light came on. The last 20km were with no indication of fuel at all on the OBC, which freaked me out.

I only recently took delivery, but I have consistently hit 400km on 1 tank. Though, the tank was never completely empty, I've only been able to fuel 22l. I think I should be able to squeeze almost 450km out of 1 tank.

One question though, on the BMW website they mention the reserve on the F800GS Adventure is 4 litres, just like the regular F800GS. Yet, in the manual they mention 2.7 litres, does anyone know what's up with that?

Edit: on my last ride, reserve kicked in at 370km.
  14. Pete7874

Pete7874 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's the same thing for F700GS as well. The way I understand it, the typical reserve amount is 4 liters; however, depending on how you ride and how much the fuel in the tank gets tossed around, the reserve light might not always come on when you have exactly 4 liters left. Sometimes the light might come on later when you have as little as 2.7 liters left. Another words, the manual is telling you that you will have at least 2.7 liters left (guaranteed, worst case scenario), but in reality you may have more gas left at that point.
  15. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    The other thing is, at least on the '13 800, the tank capacity is slightly bigger than the stated 16 litres in the manual. When I almost ran my bike dry, I was able to put 16.5 litres back in, without gassing right up the filler tube, and there was still a bit in there before I started. In absolute terms, I think the capacity is closer to 17 litres.
  16. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibly you were measuring, and billed for a bit of fuel to fill the pump and delivery hose ?
    Most reference I see is a maximum usable capacity of 4.2 gallons for the stock F800
    The most I have been able to add so far is 4.02 Gallons.
  17. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have run dry a few times and 4.2 US gallons is exactly how much it can take.
  18. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt it… but I was still somehow able to put 16.51 L (4.36 US gallons) in, I kept the pump slip as I was surprised.
  19. dvfisher

dvfisher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another possibility is that the pumps are not properly calibrated. A gas station could make an awful lot of money by skimming a fraction of a gal from each person filling up. Just a thought.
  20. moto74

moto74 displaced

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. 16L / 4.2 Gal is it then :nod